BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its Burnt !

My worst fear from an incident 2 days ago confirmed a Burnt clutch today..:crying2:

This is unbeliavable... I wish I could say It happened on an all out race with a Ferrari or GT2 but no.. It just happened .. WHY ?? WHY ?? I wonder how long it will last now before it just completely slips and does not have enough grip to move the car anymore.. This is gonna have to be an all out credit card repair, given that I am broke after getting new MAFS and tires.. If anyone should know of any reputable mechanics in Dubai please let me know.. The agency will have a field day with this in charges.. Any advice will be dearly appreciated.. This is so depressing...:3:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Re: Its Burnt !

Phew! I thought the whole car was burnt; it's "just" the clutch.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts

Yeah i too thought the car got burnt. :byee55amg

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Ashok Arora said:
Phew! I thought the whole car was burnt; it's "just" the clutch.
Thats too funny Ashok.. Thanks for helping me break a smile after this horrible ordeal.. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

$770.00 For clutch replacement including labor.. (minus flywheel) Can anyone tell me if it is absolutely necessary to replace the flywheel.. Its an additional $300..

·
Registered
6,353 Posts

atlantisvip said:
$770.00 For clutch replacement including labor.. (minus flywheel) Can anyone tell me if it is absolutely necessary to replace the flywheel.. Its an additional $300..
I replaced my clutch and flywheel. If you leave your clutch this way, your flywheel will eventually go too!

My dealer charged me DHS 1250 for the clutch kit, DHS 600 for labour, and the flywheel cost me DHS 3000.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Ahmed said:
I replaced my clutch and flywheel. If you leave your clutch this way, your flywheel will eventually go too!

My dealer charged me DHS 1250 for the clutch kit, DHS 600 for labour, and the flywheel cost me DHS 3000.
:eek:oohhh: DHS 1250 for clutch kit ?? Im paying DHS 2000 just for the clutch kit + DHS 800 for labor at the X Service Center in Dubai!! The dealer quoted me DHS 4500 for the same job.. Any idea where I could go and get a better rate ?? Its driveable as long as I dont step on the gas too hard.. There must be somewhere I can get a better deal than this... HELP AHMED !!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts

atlantisvip said:
:eek:oohhh: DHS 1250 for clutch kit ?? Im paying DHS 2000 just for the clutch kit + DHS 800 for labor at the X Service Center in Dubai!! The dealer quoted me DHS 4500 for the same job.. Any idea where I could go and get a better rate ?? Its driveable as long as I dont step on the gas too hard.. There must be somewhere I can get a better deal than this... HELP AHMED !!
ship it over :hihi:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Black M5 said:
ship it over :hihi:
Only you crazy F*****s can manage to still make me smile at a time like this.. :blink:

So you think there is a chance I wont have to get a flywheel ?? I dont know too much about clutches but I figure that when the clutch completely wears down , thats when you scratch the flywheel... Right ?? I still have some grip since Im able to (slowly) make it to Dubai Ports in Jebel Ali from home..
Home is in Jebel Ali Also..:hihi: About 10km

·
Registered
661 Posts

The sooner you replace the clutch the better chance you have of keeping your flywheel. The more your clutch slips, more heat gets transfered to the flywheel and get it damaged. I recently replaced my clutch a month after I felt the clutch slip and the flywheel already had some sign of overheat. A new flywheel cost twice as much as a clutch kit. Try finding a used flywheel from someone who upgraded their low mileage flywheel to aftermarket one.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

dmz said:
The sooner you replace the clutch the better chance you have of keeping your flywheel. The more your clutch slips, more heat gets transfered to the flywheel and get it damaged. I recently replaced my clutch a month after I felt the clutch slip and the flywheel already had some sign of overheat. A new flywheel cost twice as much as a clutch kit. Try finding a used flywheel from someone who upgraded their low mileage flywheel to aftermarket one.
Thanks Man.. I actually decided to play it safe and dropped off the car at the garage tonight so they can try to get it started first thing in the morning... Its exactly 12 hours later than cali here.. I hope that flywheel is intact !!:rolleyes:

Later... HUMBOLDT HERE I COME... 3 more weeks !! :hihi:

·
Registered
4,813 Posts

atlantisvip said:
Only you crazy F*****s can manage to still make me smile at a time like this.. :blink:

So you think there is a chance I wont have to get a flywheel ?? I dont know too much about clutches but I figure that when the clutch completely wears down , thats when you scratch the flywheel... Right ?? I still have some grip since Im able to (slowly) make it to Dubai Ports in Jebel Ali from home..
Home is in Jebel Ali Also..:hihi: About 10km
Yes you are right but nothing is for sure not before it is inspected by the garage. You also have to remember that the clutch slips when it is 70% worn out and you never know what kind of damage it has done if any. I hope you wont need a new flywheel

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Got a call from the garage.. I need the 3 main hoses for the power steering, and the front seal on the rear diff is leaking.. Hopefully they can get the hoses here from Abu Dhabi by today.. I didnt like taking the taxy to work today.. :rolleyes:
My service advisor (Was an advisor for BMW of Munich) says that the power steering leak is the most probable reason for my vibrating steering wheel on cold starts.. And since the drivetrain will already be torn out, might as well take care of the seal.. :confused3 Im going Broke !

·
Registered
6,353 Posts

atlantisvip said:
Got a call from the garage.. I need the 3 main hoses for the power steering, and the front seal on the rear diff is leaking.. Hopefully they can get the hoses here from Abu Dhabi by today.. I didnt like taking the taxy to work today.. :rolleyes:
My service advisor (Was an advisor for BMW of Munich) says that the power steering leak is the most probable reason for my vibrating steering wheel on cold starts.. And since the drivetrain will already be torn out, might as well take care of the seal.. :confused3 Im going Broke !
Welcome to the M5 world!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts

atlantisvip said:
Just got a call.. The flywheel is cracked another $1,000
If this car has over 50K miles, I would recommend you also splurge for a rear main seal for the engine crankshaft. The flywheel must be removed to replace this $10 seal. If it goes bad at 70K miles (typical lifespan), you'll wish you spent the extra $50 now. A bad seal will ruin a clutch and it must be replaced in a timely manner.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Lscman said:
If this car has over 50K miles, I would recommend you also splurge for a rear main seal for the engine crankshaft. The flywheel must be removed to replace this $10 seal. If it goes bad at 70K miles (typical lifespan), you'll wish you spent the extra $50 now. A bad seal will ruin a clutch and it must be replaced in a timely manner.
Thanks Lscman.. Im gonna call this guy first thing in the morning and hope he has not yet installed the new flywheel.. I really appreciate the tip..:cheers:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts