BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a very faint burning smell, possibly coming from my rear tire, that i smell after i step out of the car. This is after normal driving. I just leased an '06 m5 w/ 30,000 miles. Anyone have any ideas????

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is it after normal driving or very aggressive driving. Can you describe the smell - burning rubber, charcoal, chemical?

Most cars after aggressive driving, expecially hard stopping and starting at WOT, will emit some strong smells you may be describing.

Hard to tell from your post if the "smell" is bad or normal.

It could be tires, hot exhaust, clutch, etc.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Also, how's the wear on the tires? Are they even or not...

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Burning smell ??.............last nites chili ?
......sticking parking brake ???? sticking caliper, i doubt it would be a caliper you would get a trouble report. Brake ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
smell

The smell is like faint burnt rubber, after normal driving. Sometimes i think it might be coming from the wheel area but i'll have to check again. Of course, I look funny sniffing my tires....

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

unfoundhorsepower said:
Burning smell ??.............last nites chili ?
......sticking parking brake ???? sticking caliper, i doubt it would be a caliper you would get a trouble report. Brake ?
i would not rule out a sticking caliper. unless you know otherwise, santa, i believe that the only reports that the brakes will produce are low pad warnings. i haven't had any problems with the M5 yet, but i went to a BBK after I had a caliper go bad on my M3. On the M3 and I'm assuming the M5, only the front driver side and rear passenger side pads have pad wear sensors. This means that the other two brakes will never produce an error message of any kind.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
smell

It seems the smell originates from the driver side rear wheel. Sometimes i smell it at stop lights when the windows are down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts