BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

'00 with 75k+ miles and oil consumption is now 1 us qt (5w30) at just under 1k miles.

Normal? Unusual? Anything I should/can be doing about it?

Would appreciate feedback. I haven't posted in a long time but I do check in a lot.

Thanks,
David E. :wroom:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have never understood why some cars burn 1 quart of oil every 1500 miles while others go though it every 10,000 miles and it is considered normal for the M5.:(

I know the 2000's go through a lot more oil, but shouldn't the 2001+ last longer than 1500 miles?

·
Registered
214 Posts
david enock said:
Hi everyone,

'00 with 75k+ miles and oil consumption is now 1 us qt (5w30) at just under 1k miles.

Would appreciate feedback. I haven't posted in a long time but I do check in a lot.

Thanks,
Morning David-

Just visited with my BMW SA and he said they only worry about oil consumption when it exceeds 1 liter/litre every 800 miles. For what it's worth. I am moving to the 60 weight now that it is summer here. Last thing I want is 5 weight getting REALLY thin in the Tulsa heat! KCD

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kcdoyle said:
Morning David-

Just visited with my BMW SA and he said they only worry about oil consumption when it exceeds 1 liter/litre every 800 miles. For what it's worth. I am moving to the 60 weight now that it is summer here. Last thing I want is 5 weight getting REALLY thin in the Tulsa heat! KCD

Hi KCD,

Any ideas as to what can be done at the worry level?

D.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
david enock said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Uh, why are you using 5W30???? What does your owners manual call for?!

AFAIK, Castrol TWS 10W60 is the only oil BMW specs for your car.

My guess is carbon build up in the rings and lands increasing your oil use- the ring design of the 00 already was suceptable to high consumption. THere is a product you might try for cleaning (AutoRX) but many here will disagree (I think).

In any event, you must use the oil your car's manufacturer requires, at a minimum.

A

PS I like that BMW doesn't "worry" about consumption until it gets to a liter per 1000km.... I'd be worried way before then- BMW doesn't "fix" it until it gets that bad, but I'd be "worried"

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ard said:
Uh, why are you using 5W30???? What does your owners manual call for?!

AFAIK, Castrol TWS 10W60 is the only oil BMW specs for your car.

My guess is carbon build up in the rings and lands increasing your oil use- the ring design of the 00 already was suceptable to high consumption. THere is a product you might try for cleaning (AutoRX) but many here will disagree (I think).

In any event, you must use the oil your car's manufacturer requires, at a minimum.

A

PS I like that BMW doesn't "worry" about consumption until it gets to a liter per 1000km.... I'd be worried way before then- BMW doesn't "fix" it until it gets that bad, but I'd be "worried"

ARD,

The oil spec on my car is 5W30. It's a June '02 build and I have had this issue come up several times. Even had to point it out to the service manager at Country Imports where I have had my car serviced for the last five years. Sticker on the radiator says 5W30.

D.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Your post said " '00 with 75k+ miles"... was this a typo or did you put an 02 engine into an 00?

I cut my oil use in half with a cleaning... my car had th 5-30. I will be switching with the next oil change.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same issue twice; one turned out to be the gasket that needed to be replaced; and the second time, it turned out to be a faulty solenoid in VANOS system, which caused oil to leak out.
Symptom timeline: stable oil use, then a gradual increase in oil burned. Topping off a half quart every 1000 miles; then progressed to half quart per 700 miles. The entire process was about 6+ months long.
I took the car in when it ran loud and rough one morning and I knew the VANOS was acting up.
I recommend taking in to the dealer to check it out.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have an '01 and use 5w30. I burn 1 quart at least every 2-3 weeks (I really do push my engine). The great thing about this car is that it barks at you the second something is off. I always check my level, but I can’t tell you how many times I get interrupted by my cars chime asking me to check the oil level. Every time I hear this I don’t even need to check, I just add the whole quart. Also always remember to check your tire pressure ever 2 weeks….especially if you push it-:1:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
david enock said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Why do you run 5w30 in a MY 2000? I thought all MY 2000 should have 10W60?

Has the oil consumption increased with time?

David

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am going thru oil like it's out of style as well (1 ltr per 500 km's) so I was doing some research here, tomorrow taking her in to get the oil separator and crankcase breather valve changed, and going to get them to look at the Vanos and alos under the plenum for leaks... hopefully changing the valves will help, will keep you posted!

·
Registered
400 Posts
My 2000 consumes about 1 quart every 1800 miles. Does it now, and it did it before BMW did some work to it a while back. From what I have read thats about in the middle of the consumption range. If my consumption was too much, the work they did should have decreased it. They did vanos, valves, and lifters and a few other things, but the bottom end was fine. I'm confident my 1800 miles per quart is not an issue to be concerned with.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ard said:
Your post said " '00 with 75k+ miles"... was this a typo or did you put an 02 engine into an 00?

I cut my oil use in half with a cleaning... my car had th 5-30. I will be switching with the next oil change.
ARD,

Isn't '00, the way you indicate a 2000 MY? What oil will you be changing to?

D.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ard said:

ARD,

TYPO!!!!

·
10,458 Posts
david enock said:
ARD,

Isn't '00, the way you indicate a 2000 MY? What oil will you be changing to?

D.

I think the confusion comes from your posts. In post #1 you say an '00, which would imply a MY 2000. In post number 8, you say you have a june 02 production car, which would imply an 02 model, unless you have the rear late production 00 model!
FWIW, a 6/00 prod car or a 6/02 prod car would use 5/30, if you follow bmw north america's suggestions. If you follow the rest of the world, you might use 10/60 or the castrol slx, which i think is 0/40. At any rate, if you were to switch to 10/60, you're oil consumption would likely decrease, providing you do not try to change your oil by the SII. 10/60 does not seem to last the 14k or so that the service indicator would suggest.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mottati said:
I think the confusion comes from your posts. In post #1 you say an '00, which would imply a MY 2000. In post number 8, you say you have a june 02 production car, which would imply an 02 model, unless you have the rear late production 00 model!
FWIW, a 6/00 prod car or a 6/02 prod car would use 5/30, if you follow bmw north america's suggestions. If you follow the rest of the world, you might use 10/60 or the castrol slx, which i think is 0/40. At any rate, if you were to switch to 10/60, you're oil consumption would likely decrease, providing you do not try to change your oil by the SII. 10/60 does not seem to last the 14k or so that the service indicator would suggest.
Mottati,

Thanks, you are right. It was a typo. I have a 2000 MY. I have been running 5W30 since day one. It burned a qt every 1500 miles until at about 40k miles I took a trip to Santa Fe and back. After the trip the burn rate was 1 qt every 10k miles. Then at about 60k miles it began the really low numbers...1200-1500. And now, at 76,000 miles It is at 1qt in just under 1k miles.

D.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts