BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm. Just got home from a short trip during which I "accidentally" went well into the orange revs when the engine was pretty cold. :)

When I got back, I checked the oil for the first time since my recent service. That was 789km and 6 weeks ago, at which point the dipstick displayed full. Imagine my shock when I checked tonight and the dipstick showed low! A litre in about 800km? Say it's not so. :grrrrr:

I know I will find out in due course with more regular checks, but could I have burnt lots of the oil with my silliness with the cold engine, or is it more likely a case of valve stem seals being kaput?

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Hmm. Just got home from a short trip during which I "accidentally" went well into the orange revs when the engine was pretty cold. :)

When I got back, I checked the oil for the first time since my recent service. That was 789km and 6 weeks ago, at which point the dipstick displayed full. Imagine my shock when I checked tonight and the dipstick showed low! A litre in about 800km? Say it's not so. :grrrrr:

I know I will find out in due course with more regular checks, but could I have burnt lots of the oil with my silliness with the cold engine, or is it more likely a case of valve stem seals being kaput?
Do you check the oil as the Owner's Manual specifies?

You should check your oil every tank of gas. At least until you have an idea of how much it burns.

Oil usage could be from a number of things, but most likely it is within the normal (albiet high end) of the range expected by BMW. Could be valve seals, but unlikely, I think ... most likely normal wear and tear and maybe a leak ... You need to be more vigilant. You won't burn much more oil by running it too hard with a cold engine. But, it's foolish to do so until the temp is at least to the first quarter mark.

I see you have an E39 (1999) that was normally noted for high oil usage.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts