BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving the e60 on the a13 a couple of days ago and passed what I though was a really nice burgendy e34 with m para's on.

Got to a set of lights at a roundabout and he appeared on my inside, lights changed and I heard that telltale roar as he flew off and left me for dead (which is sadly an experience that happens far too often lately).

When I heard the roar I knew it was an m5, and very nice it was as well, it was on a j plate and I think it had champagne leather and the whole car was gleaming, if it was a member on here you should be very proud, that was one beautiful car !

Paul

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
[email protected]
if that car was indeed -burgundy- then it could have been a very much searched for 'one time only rarity' with 408 (DIN) bhp ex 'holy halls of Garching" -
What is it that makes you so sure it was indeed 'burgundy' ??
Could it not have been a -rosso red- LE-car with champagne-leather-interior
and perhaps even owned by a forum-member ??
-
-Rosso Red- E34 LE = beautiful car and a 15x only rarity -
however 'THE' - "burgundy" E34 M5 would be a "one time only speciality" -
-
Did you get the entire -reg.no.- ? because if you did then please let me know
and I can check if indeed it was a -rosso red- LE-car or not (not a 100% method bcs reg no do change but these cars do not change ownership that often) -
-
'Burgundy' or 'Rosso Red' = that is the question :confused::confused::typing::M5launch:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[email protected]
if that car was indeed -burgundy- then it could have been a very much searched for 'one time only rarity' with 408 (DIN) bhp ex 'holy halls of Garching" -
-
-
and I can check if indeed it was a -rosso red- LE-car or not (not a 100% method bcs reg no do change but these cars do not change ownership that often) -
-
'Burgundy' or 'Rosso Red' = that is the question :confused::confused::typing::M5launch:
Well I have seen the colour before so guess it was rosso red.

It couldnt have been an LE as they were not made 91/92 (J reg) were they ?

Whatever it is, it was gorgeous :)

Paul

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
All the LE's were made from March until the end of May 1995 I believe, so no chance of that car being an LE.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
OK, fair enough...... so far so good.
But what was it then........NOW it is getting really interesting ......
is there a way we can investigate on this further..... ??

·
Registered
678 Posts
Could somebody not have an 'LE' with a private 'J' Reg plate on it ? - you can put older plates on newer cars.........yawnnnn

- - or was it a 'nothing special' 'J' Plate......?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
You can put an older plate on a car so yes it could be an LE on a J plate.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
BINGO ! and that is were the -burgundy- dream ended.......???
-
J6CFC = is/was a LE but -orinoco- !!
but here it is ???
JWW1N = is a -rosso red-
-
I take it that 'J' or 'N' refers to the first letter or is it the last?, forgive my ignorance if that is the case.....:M5launch:
-
'burgundy'-chase is still on.........??

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
J is the first letter of the plate and designates the year of registration. However plates can now be changed from car to car and can be put onto a newer car, but not an older car. Thus you can put a J plate onto a 2008 car, but not a 2008 plate on a 1992 car! Since 2001?? Plates in the UK have changed so no single first letter. Its all too confusing!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
In Sweden, f.ex. the official car registry is a public record.
-
How about the UK = is it not possible to check reg no = JWW1N = to find
out where the car's home is and perhaps the owner ??
Do police or insurance agents have access to the car registry library ?
Is it possible to obtain the -reg no- by means of the VIN and is it therefore
people are so reluctant to give away the VIN ??

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
We are unable to find out who owns a car by the registration plate. I believe only the police have this capability.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
We are unable to find out who owns a car by the registration plate. I believe only the police have this capability.
Or private clamping, parking, recovery firms after paying a 'nominal' fee to the DVLA.

Even the public can 'with good cause' - all you'd have to do is say someone has parked across your drive for a couple of days which means you can't get your car out.

The DVLA are a two-faced bunch of sock-cuckers!

BTW, if the reg is JWW 1 N then it will be an old N reg, not a newer J reg.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
In Sweden we have a great system that works via sms. If you see an interesting car infront of you, you just send the registration number via your phone to the car registry and within seconds you are told the model of the car, owner, if it has an MOT, and the city the owner lives.

Its a pretty cool system and helps distinguish the real M5's from the fakes.

Lantz

·
Registered
526 Posts
In Sweden we have a great system that works via sms. If you see an interesting woman in a car infront of you, you just send the registration number via your phone to the car registry and within seconds you are told the model of the car, owner, if it has an MOT, and the city the owner lives.
Stalkers must love that system:haha2:

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
What is the story about that car?

I know forum member Chris had a 400 HP + BWM M5 E34 I beleive with parts from BMW M possible (did not happen) participation in DTM.

[email protected]
-
-
-

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
BTW, if the reg is JWW 1 N then it will be an old N reg, not a newer J reg.
-
Strange and I do not really understand....:confused::confused:
because -most- of the LE-cars have a reg.no. that -starts- with an -N-
whereas two have/had - J- as the first letter....:confused::eek:oohhh:
-
UK-guys > tell us about it...:cheers:

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
-
Strange and I do not really understand....:confused::confused:
because -most- of the LE-cars have a reg.no. that -starts- with an -N-
whereas two have/had - J- as the first letter....:confused::eek:oohhh:
-
UK-guys > tell us about it...:cheers:
The original (1963-1982) number plate system was in the format AAA 111 Z (where A is a letter, 1 is a number a Z is the SUFFIX for registration year). i.e. JWW 1 N

The next (1983-2000) number plate system was in the format Z 111 AAA (where A is a letter, 1 is a number a Z is the PREFIX for registration year). i.e. J 1 WWN like most of the 'normal' reg plated M5s on here

The current number plate system (for post 2000 cars IIRC) is in the format AA NN AAA (where A is a letter, and NN is the code for registration year). i.e. JW 01 WNX

However, in the UK you can buy a 'personalised' plate (you can't specify a plate yourself, but if one comes up for sale in the format that you want, you can buy it for whatever the seller wants for it) - the only stipulation being that you cannot make the car appear YOUNGER than it really is (i.e. you can put a 1923 plate on a 2008 car, but you can't put a 2008 plate on a 2007 registered car).

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
astonishing simple :confused2 and very 'british' :hihihi:
-
[email protected] thanks for the education, very interesting indeed :lightbulb:
-
PS: also in Sweden you can -create- your own -personal- plate,
like "MPOWER", it works a little bit different from the 'british'-system
and the fee is SEK 5.000 ( appr. GBP 450 ) to be paid to the car-registry.
(They will also make sure that the plate is -unique- and the car keeps
it's -real- reg.no. in the registry).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts