BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,

So my car has been at United BMW of Roswell dealership for almost 3 weeks now due to the infamous clutch release bearing causing premature clutch and flywheel wear. The good news was that they found a tranny leak and had to drop the transmission so I was only responsible for parts and CPO deductible.

Now the bad news... I get a call from them on Friday morning telling me that there's been a burglary at the dealership the night before. It appears that only four cars were hit, mine being one of them. The thieves only took wheels and tires (brand new 2011 7-series with custom wheels, used 7-series with custom wheels, 2010 550 with custom wheels, and my car with 166's powder coated smoked chrome). Anyone see a pattern here? The service manager tries to make me feel better by telling me that they had a similar break in last year and the thieves are very "professional". They cut a nice hole in the back fence, left all the cars on these nice wooden blocks so not to scratch up any of the rotors or under carriage, and left not a single fingerprint.

Can anyone say, "Inside job"? I thought it was an April Fool's Day joke at first, but realized he was serious when he offered to provide a new set of 166s along with new tires. The best part is that one of the service techs recognized that my wheels had been powder coated so the dealership offered to have the new ones done the same way free of charge.

Now, I can't say that I would wish theft on anyone, but I do feel like it was a fortunate event for me since I was debating how soon to get new rubbers anyway. Hopefully, this will turn out to be one of those good stories you hear about when there are issues with the dealership. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

P.S. Please be on the lookout for anyone (ATL area) trying to dump 166s with smoked chrome powder coating on the internet (see the pictures below). I have a feeling there's a BMW service tech trying to make some additional profit at the cost of his employer

Attachments

·
Banned
194 Posts
Man i wish that happened to me. Pretty lucky.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Man i wish that happened to me. Pretty lucky.
I would still request that the car be put on a lift and check the entire undercarriage with a BMW tech, or maybe a tech from a trusted indy. For all you know they broke your wheel bolts and left the car resting on its rotors. If you are actually worried that the dealership is the one who stole your wheels, I would first worry about:

1. Them working on your car.
2. Them lying to you about what actually happened with the burglary.

Hopefully the car looks great and you get a nice fresh pair of wheels out of it. Sorry to hear you've been without your car for so long.

·
Registered
407 Posts
P.S. Please be on the lookout for anyone (ATL area) trying to dump 166s with smoked chrome powder coating on the internet (see the pictures below). I have a feeling there's a BMW service tech trying to make some additional profit at the cost of his employer
I'm east coast Florida, I'll let you know if anything regarding your color M5 rims comes up, and if he tries for an Orlando/Miami sale.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Good on the dealer for their response.

That said, you are certainly owed a copy of the police report on the event - reviewing that will help you learn whether everything went down the way that they say it did.

Echo the comments on having a 3rd-party tech check everything out.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
How can a dealership get robbed like that makes me wonder, what about security cameras etc, there has to be a way to catch the cuplrit.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Definitely have a body shop inspect your undercarriage, wooden blocks or not. There is likely scratches under there, and the rocker panel may need to be fixed. Ask me how I know.

Also, if your rotors touched the ground during the heist, or while the car was being lifted to get the wheels back on, you'll want those replaced too (both sides).

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Guys

Thanks ///Mike M. I appreciate the look out. I know, I know, this all sounds very fishy to me too. This happened last Thursday and I haven't been over to the dealership to check the car out yet. I'm wondering if it's still sitting on those "nice" wooden blocks and causing any additional damage. I'm heading over there on Thursday to 1.) get a copy of the police report, 2.) see the car for myself, 3.) make sure the dealership is aware of how unacceptable this whole scenario is regardless of the new rubber their supplying.

I've heard others say that the alarm isn't triggered by jacking the car up while it's locked, but I find it hard to believe that with all the sophisticated electronic technology in the E60 M5s it doesn't have a level sensor for alarm. Even a cheap aftermarket alarm has this technology. Did BMW completely miss on this one?:dunno:

·
Registered
735 Posts
The M5's alarm has a tilt sensor, specifically for towing and "wheel theft", according to manual. Mine never went off though. I bet it doesn't go off if you jack up both sides from the center at the same time.

Attachments

Reactions: RedRum5

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update -- Happy Ending...

Okay, after two months of having my car at the dealership for everything from CRB issues to burglary I got the Red Dragon back in my possession. I started this thread with the shocking news that my car had the tires and wheels stolen while at the dealership getting serviced. I'm going to end it by saying that despite a few hiccups, United BMW Roswell took care of me and made me more than whole after the theft.

Since my factory 166s were powder coated in a smoke chrome, they were pretty unique. Fortunately, my SA noticed this when I brought my car in so they offered to give me four brand new wheels and tires as well as pay for the powder coating that was done on the previous wheels. I only had the original set powder coated because they were peeling. The hyper silver factory finish would have been fine with me on a new set of wheels, but what the heck, they were paying, right? What I didn't realize during the initial repair of my car was that they found issues with the master cylinder so it was replaced under my CPO warranty. While they had the tranny out they found the notorious CRB galled up and the guide bush bad as well. The actual clutch was worn down to the studs so an entire replacement was necessary. Fortunately, the master cylinder and main seal issue meant that I would only have to pay about $900 for the actual clutch components but not the labor. But wait, it gets better...

The irony in all this is that my car was ready for me to pick up after the repairs, but was burglarized the night before they could call me. After the new 166s were ordered from California, they were sent directly to the powder coater for the new finish. I took this opportunity to make an additional modification to the wheels. I wanted something a little different so I did some color matching with the car. Here's the process:

1. Strip wheels of all hyper silver and urethane epoxy with chemical dip
  2. Apply smoke chrome powder coat bake at low temperature to avoid complete curing
  3. Tape off wheels and apply special blended Indianapolis Red (A31) to spoke seams and bake at low temperature
  4. CNC Machine face of wheels
  5. Apply clear coat and bake at temperature for complete curing
Now, I have to give credit where credit is due. This was not originally my idea, but the posts from both Superlubricity and ALOTAJS were my inspiration. I think the look is very unique and I've been getting lots of compliments on the new wheels. However, this story isn't over. Since my car had been sitting on jack stands for over two months the rotors were looking pretty crappy. The dealership agreed to brush them off and check them before giving me my car back. Guess what, lots of shimmy under hard braking so rotors are now warped and BMW NA does NOT turn rotors they replace them. Well, fortunately for me, the new rotors were on the dealership's dime. Here's the score... dealership = $5,250 in replacement costs, me = $1000 for clutch, CPO deductible, and tax. I got new main seal, master cylinder, entire clutch assembly, wheels (with powder coat), tires, and 4 rotors. By the way, I had my independent service guy check the car out top to bottom and he said it was perfect (no damage from wheel thief). Saying "WINNING" would be cheesy, but you get the picture.

The icing on the cake... yesterday I found out that the police caught the wheel thief trying to sell some other stolen wheels to a Jaguar dealership in Florida! Okay, on to the pictures. Before I get any comments about this, I know, I know, I need a drop. It's coming along with 12mm spacers all around as soon as I get time to do. Right now, just happy to have the beast back in the garage!

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
wow talk about being lucky, its like you have a whole new car now :)

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
nice! great to hear the dealership made things right.

now post more on the police catching the thief if you can. I'm sure we all want to hear if he worked at the dealership or not, etc. :biggrinbounce:

sounds like justice was served :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
A great outcome and a smoking hot car, to boot! I will say it for you, "WINNING"! :cheers:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts