BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, im currently in the process of restoring my 93 Saloon. Car almost completely stripped to fix rust before rebuild starts.

My current problem is the foam insulation on the bulkhead and tunnel, the plastic covering is cracking off when i try touch it.

#2 in the picture.
Theres no part number in RealOEM so assume NLA from BMW if it ever was.

Has anyone replaced this with an alternative? Any info?

Cheers

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
29 Posts
Happy to help. I think Würth has the Al-coated bitumen based product, which should be the closest to original, if I'm not mistaken. Not sure about the surface finish though, things like imprint, logos, etc...

·
Registered
429 Posts
It's not M5 specific... could you find an E34 being wrecked and get one? Keep in mind it's a massive piece, it runs all the way back past the gear shifter, so you have to be pretty careful removing it!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I considered it briefly but thought most would be in a similar condition or extremely difficult to remove without breaking.
I do have 525touring I'll probably end up parting. I might check that.
I looked up the aftermarket bitumen stuff but all the reviews say how fragile it is.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Have you checked out Förch products?

Würth should have something similar as well.

States side, there is a much wider choice of materials, Dynamat (dynamat.com) probably being the most popular.

Cheers
FWIW the previous owner of my E39 lined the rear of the passenger compartment and the interior of the trunk with Dynamat. It does an admirable job of sound deadening. My E39 has the Dinan exhaust which can be heard (literally) over aircraft takeoff at RDU so it's LOUD...but the interior is just fine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
There's also Presto with their products.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts