BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
I'm confused....

[/I]Hydroboost? Hydraulic pump made lots of noise, and lots of turns lock to lock makes sense to me....that's the power steering pump. But how could pressing the brake pedal send air bubbles into that system? And you wondered if the ABS light was related, too. All that makes me think of hydroboost, but I haven't seen that on a BMW since my E28.....
!
Hi Chris, yes it does have Hydroboost

ABS fixed , it was a pulled wire during engine out / engine in

I'm enjoying the B40 , lots of fun for a DD

Attachments

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
WOW! I thought hydroboost had died with the E28!

Personally, I LOVE hydroboost! You can run any damned ridiculous cam you want, and still have brakes! I know many people won't agree, but hey, those guys have a vacuum booster stuck in a ridiculous place up near the headlight!

I'm glad you're loving the B40, my friend! And I'm really anxiously awaiting the continued adventures of the Outback BBQ, in case you didn't know!

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
WOW! I thought hydroboost had died with the E28!

Personally, I LOVE hydroboost! You can run any damned ridiculous cam you want, and still have brakes! I know many people won't agree, but hey, those guys have a vacuum booster stuck in a ridiculous place up near the headlight!

I'm glad you're loving the B40, my friend! And I'm really anxiously awaiting the continued adventures of the Outback BBQ, in case you didn't know!
I'm also a big fan of hydroboost , very consistent and firm brake pedal and a lot less clutter in the engine bay. I'm surprised more of the E30 engine conversions don't use it.

Outback BBQ is now 'Cobra Lake' , the adventures of Wing Commander Tim McKenna is being further developed. I'll have another writing spurt on my next away trip :). I've done about 7,000 words out of a projected 100,000 word novel so far.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Aw c'mon Tony! I happen to be a snake guy, and there are no cobras in Australia....what's this "Cobra Lake"? We've got Taipans, Blacksnakes, Brown Snakes, Tiger Snakes.... all are Elapids, and related to Cobras.... but no cobras in Australia/// you know that, of course, so what's up with that? ;););)

PS; I've collected snakes in Australia, and 4 other continents, all poisonous snakes in Australia are Elapids, including the Death Adder.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Aw c'mon Tony! I happen to be a snake guy, and there are no cobras in Australia....what's this "Cobra Lake"? We've got Taipans, Blacksnakes, Brown Snakes, Tiger Snakes.... all are Elapids, and related to Cobras.... but no cobras in Australia/// you know that, of course, so what's up with that? ;););)
Well spotted ... that's part of the mystery .. there are no cobras in Australia

·
Registered
449 Posts
I am not a massive fan of the hydroboost

My 540 would sometimes yank the steering ever so slightly when the hydroboost requires its accumulator to be refilled.

While I agree that it cleans up the engine bay a little, the system is so much more complex.

Fancy stuff usually equals fancy problems

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I am not a massive fan of the hydroboost

My 540 would sometimes yank the steering ever so slightly when the hydroboost requires its accumulator to be refilled.

While I agree that it cleans up the engine bay a little, the system is so much more complex.

Fancy stuff usually equals fancy problems
Ah thanks for that , I've wondered why the steering does that at low speed sometimes

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #90 (Edited)
AFR M60B40 vs M60B30

Huge difference in AFR between these 2 engines especially below 3,000 rpm

M60B40 AFR 15 to 12:1

M60B30 AFR 13 to 11.4

Any ideas ? Is the B40 running too lean ?

What's normal for most BMW engines ?

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Fuel supply problem ?

A new problem has arisen , the first 500km the B40 engine has run beautifully.

This evening the B40 will pull to redline in 1st but then goes soft and doesn't want to go above 5k rpm in the higher gears.

Idle and at lower rpms everything feels normal.

I suspect a dirty fuel filter or fuel pump issue.

I'll get the boys to check tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Yeah, sorry, that's really all I've ever heard them called.

I read your email on my phone, but I can't reply by email 'til I get home from work: My guess for the 5k rpm is an air restriction, not fuel. Either air IN (squirrel in the airbox?), or air OUT (those manifolds too small?)

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
I read your email on my phone, but I can't reply by email 'til I get home from work: My guess for the 5k rpm is an air restriction, not fuel. Either air IN (squirrel in the airbox?), or air OUT (those manifolds too small?)
Exhaust manifolds are the same for B30 and B40 and it's a huge 4" Nascar Y pipe under the car

I'll check the intake and fuel systems tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I wasn't even considering questioning any of the exhaust after the manifolds, I already knew that was the best of the best.

If the fuel system were restricted, I'd expect that the engine would rev until it started misfiring; whereas an airflow issue just stops the engine from achieving higher revs.

Do you have any ABS codes? Is there ASC on this car? I've seen ABS with ASC impose a rev limit on higher gears before, ESPECIALLY when ASC has been rendered inoperative. (You could unplug the abs fuse for testing this theory)

Is this an EML throttle car? (Can't remember, sorry) Do you have any way to get codes on this car?

All that said, I'm still thinking air is the issue.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got a lake full of non-native cobras to read about.....;)

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Is there ASC on this car? I've seen ABS with ASC impose a rev limit on higher gears before, ESPECIALLY when ASC has been rendered inoperative. (You could unplug the abs fuse for testing this theory)

Is this an EML throttle car? (Can't remember, sorry) Do you have any way to get codes on this car?

All that said, I'm still thinking air is the issue.
No ASC or EML , no lambda either

The Indo assembled E34s are a bit odd ball , this one's a 1995 build.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
And the problem was ? ...

And the problem was something really simple.

I was telling Taffy last night the B40 is getting much better fuel consumption than the B30 , I was thinking a leaner low rpm tune and not having to use as much throttle when puttering around town.

Then it hit me , 452 kms on 60 litres , it's about 7.5km litre , the B30 normally got 5.5 to 6.

The normally accurate FUEL GAUGE WAS STUCK ON 20 litres , I put 10 liters in this morning and the gauge didn't move , I was almost out of fuel.

Engine performance back to normal

A full tank tonight from my favorite Shell garage

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
B40 vs B30 fuel consumption

B30 fuel consumption - 5.5 to 6 km/litre

B40 fuel consumption - 5.8 km/litre

The same

M5 S38B36 on the same daily trip to work 2.5 - 3 km/litre

I love my M5 but when you think you can see the fuel gauge dropping at the traffic likes it sort of spoils the fun. Why does the S38 burn so much fuel when stopped or at low speed ?

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
M60B30 vs M60B40 exhaust

Something interesting has come up since the B40 engine swap

While the B30 and B40 exhaust manifolds are the same part number I expect the inlets to the exhaust are not (the complete exhaust system is 540 only).

The B30 uses 45mm OD diameter (1.75") I suspect the B40 is using closer to 55mm diameter (2")

The inlet pipes to my NASCAR style Y pipe must be glowing red at sustained high rpm to get this white / grey color on the pipes when they've cooled down.

I'll modify these 4 pipes to 2" and see what this does on the dyno.

Attachments

81 - 100 of 186 Posts