BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
The last month or so i'm visiting the board just once a week (started a new full-time job...) and today i see your topic :M5thumbs:

Glad to see that you've finally started the daily driver project with the "right" engine, Tony :cheers:

I'll give you my opinion for size of the rear tires: initially, i've put 255's on my M5, but after about 200 km or 125 miles i've had one of them blown on the highway with approx. 100mph, so i was forced to change them again; this time i decided to go with the same tire brand, but with 265's + 10mm wheel spacers and ... the car was transformed -> much more planted rear-end, sportier instead of tail-happy behavior and, of course, this faat stance at the rear :7: ...

Good luck + a subscribe for the topic ;)

Villy

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
The last month or so i'm visiting the board just once a week (started a new full-time job...) and today i see your topic :M5thumbs:

Glad to see that you've finally started the daily driver project with the "right" engine, Tony :cheers:

I'll give you my opinion for size of the rear tires: initially, i've put 255's on my M5, but after about 200 km or 125 miles i've had one of them blown on the highway with approx. 100mph, so i was forced to change them again; this time i decided to go with the same tire brand, but with 265's + 10mm wheel spacers and ... the car was transformed -> much more planted rear-end, sportier instead of tail-happy behavior and, of course, this faat stance at the rear :7: ...

Good luck + a subscribe for the topic ;)

Villy
Thanks Villy,

I'm parts collecting, research and planning mode at the moment, M60B40s are hard to come by in Indonesia and it took me 6 months to get this engine at a realistic price (I found it back in March and waited with an offer half of the asking price).

Next step is finishing the exhaust (front of the middle muffler) , I'm building a couple of chambers to get rid of the restriction from the 2 pipes to 1 pipe directly from the exhaust manifold to help the engine breathe better so that's one less item to do when the B40 goes in.

Taffy's LM002 is finally going back together and after that it's time to build the 540.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Driving home in the 530 tonight with the window down listening to the quad cam V8 through my modified exhaust and I think a used E34 in good shape would have to be one of the best bargain value for money cars for a hack daily driver at the moment.

I would have loved to have something like this when I was 18, for me the E34 was the best 5 series they've ever made, it does everything well and still a very nice car to drive.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
I noticed some dry coolant on the air intake before the throttle body tonight and took a good look with the engine running and noticed the odd droplet of coolant spraying out behind the water pump pulley and decided I'd change the pump on Saturday, I thought a couple of days and take it easy on the revs and it should be ok.

Anyway I was almost home and at 1,500rpm the entire water pump bearing gave way, there was nothing left resulting in 20mm of play on the water pump pulley, the fan of course hit the radiator and had 2 blades left by the time I stopped and most of the coolant went out through the front of the water pump.

So to fellow M60 owners if there is any leak at all from the water pump change it a.s.a.p

Attachments

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
No new water pumps available in Jakarta at the moment so I pulled this one of the M60B40

It looks almost new ?

OEM pump with no play in the shaft.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Back on the road.

Large quantity of epoxy on the radiator until I can source a new or a good second hand unit.

So far no leaks and temps ok

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
M60B40 work before installation

M60B40 work before installation

I want to start shopping for parts to get the B40 ready for installation.

The engine appears to be very low mileage , it has supposedly come out of a Singapore based 840 coupe.

Most of the missing parts on the B40 I can swap over from my B30 engine;

- Exhaust manifolds

- air cond compressor

- Clutch and flywheel (0.5" smaller diameter but will bolt on from what I have read)

- ECU (re-chipped)

- ICV

I need to buy a B40 MAF and intake duct to the throttle body (throttle body is there)

For new gaskets

- Cam covers

- Intake manifold (all gaskets)

- Valley gasket (under the intake)

- Sump gasket

I'll have a look at the main bearings, timing chain and oil pump bolts when I get the engine on the engine stand, the motor turns over nicely by hand, not to easy and not too hard.

Anything else while I have the engine on the engine stand ?

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Exhaust mods

Started building a Y dump pipe from 110mm dia exhaust pipe between the headers and the centre muffler.

Front mufflers have already been removed.

The Y pipe will accept the 2 exhaust pipes from the back of the exhaust manifold before they join into 1 (2 to 1)

The pipe will be pressed into an oval shape 60mm height.

So the final exhaust will be

- 4 outlets from the exhaust manifold to the Y pipe

- gutted (no packing) centre muffler.

- used E34 M5 muffler.

It should be a very low restriction system.

The exhaust as it is now is actually quiet from idle to 2,500rpm , sporty from 2,500 to 4,000 and wails above 4,000rpm. No booming in the cabin at all.

So far I'm pleased with the results

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Fabricating the front exhaust

I couldn't buy oval section exhaust pipe so we're making it out of 110mm dia truck pipe by pressing it in the hydraulic press

It needs 2.5 tonnes of force to press

Final height will be 75mm (3 inches)

I'm trying to achieve a pressure wave terminator box which should be at least 8 times the volume of a single cylinder.

The volume of this chamber is 8.55 litres, this delivers a 22:1 ratio with the B30 and a 17:1 ratio with the B40.

I read about this years ago in David Vizard's book on Chev V8s and exhaust systems, this is my first attempt at building one so I'm not sure what the results will be but for $40 in materials and a bit of cutting and welding it's worth a try.

Going to do some acceleration runs with Taffy's G-Tech to see if there's any difference before and after.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Existing front exhaust set up

Existing front exhaust set up and where the termination box is going

Attachments

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

This section of dual pipes will be replaced with a 140 x 75mm oval section single pipe going straight into the centre muffler.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Big bore Y pipe done, it will be fitted this week.

A bit rough around the edges but ok for an experiment.

Can anyone suggest a freeware or inexpensive CAD package for the Mac ?

I don't want anything fancy, just something to produce cutting templates for pipe and other shapes

Weight is 13kg, about the same as the original pipes and 2 mufflers (already removed), I may save 2kg, I'll know when I weigh the pipes I remove

I used 2mm wall thickness pipes to reduce drumming and vibration, I could have gone a lighter gauge pipe but worried about acoustic drumming in the passenger cabin.

Pipe cross section is almost double the twin OEM pipes

Attachments

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Big bore Y pipe

Y pipe tacked into place today.

It will be fully welded and installed tomorrow by my workshop minions.

I get to try it out on Saturday when I get back to town.

Slight interference with the LHS transmission mount which will be dimpled for clearance

Lots of leaks as it isn't welded up yet but so far it sounds awesome.

4 into 2 Y pipe, standard 530 centre muffler with packing removed but baffles still in place, used E34 M5 muffler (standard)

I'll do a video on Saturday and upload it.

The M60B30 has started having a major coolant leak from the back of the block so the M60B40 swap will happen sooner than planned.

Looks like I have to replace the valley pan gasket and rear coolant cross over gaskets I may as well spend an extra few days and do the swap.

Taffy asked tonight why nobody has thought of this before, I can't say I've ever seen it on a BMW, anyone ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
GREAT SOUND !

Very deep V8 ... used to be muffled sound like a 6-cyl.
Now the sound is very deep. Sounds like a real V8

41 - 60 of 186 Posts