BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

181 - 186 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #181 (Edited)
Ouch.

The M62 bores melt if the engine ever gets hot. Overheat; "two miles from home"

And, crap, your engine is one of the old ones, huh? Do you know if it's Alusil or Nikasil;? The original engines HATED bad gas, and BMW had to replace the entire production of alusil / nikasil (?I forget?) motors in the USA, where there was too much sulfur in the fuel, or so they say.

Chris
Hi Chris,

Yes it's a Nikasil engine , most of the M60B30 and B40 engines here are. I haven't seen an M60 Alusil engine here yet.

The water temp gauge has never gone further than right tangent to centre but I suppose it is possible that a hot spot had occurred in the engine that wasn't detected by the water temp gauge.

You can see the SULPHUR CONTENT in Indonesian fuels (500ppm) is SEVEN TIMES the upper limit of USA specification petrol (80ppm) and this is assuming that quality control has kept the fuel within limits. I wouldn't rule out a high sulphur batch of fuel has gone through my B40 engine.

We have poor quality fuel

Attachments

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Rip 540/5

My 540/5 is a parts car now ...

I can salvage the cooling system, body panels, exhaust and other bits and pieces

It was a great car, farewell old friend

Attachments

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Oh no! RIP... I bet you were smoking from the ears at the thought that the hoist could have saved the car...
I was asleep in Starbucks at Singapore airport when it happened

It was an expensive morning, 540, my delivery truck, 3 forklifts, 2 aircraft engines, 2 propellors, 2 big air compressors, air dryer, centreless grinder, a stack of aircraft parts and power tools.

There was a flood outside the warehouse and a semi trailer hit the flood waters at high speed creating a mini tsunami which knocked a 3 metre high wall down and did a runner

All the aircraft parts and equipment are insured.

The 540 wasn't insured, very hard to get cover for cars over 10 years old in Indonesia

181 - 186 of 186 Posts