BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2000 M5 in February of this year and have been planning upgrades and collecting parts since then. The goal is a naturally aspirated power increase along with weight loss through careful part selection and removal of some luxury items. This is not a track build. The car will not look much different, other than being an inch lower than stock, with aftermarket wheels and two 3” pipes at the end of the exhaust instead of dual tips. The final goal is 480hp and 3500lbs, but after this stage I expect to be at 3670lbs with a full tank of gas and approximately 445 hp. The car is now at Rennhaus in Sarasota getting the first round of modifications done. When I bought the car, the only modifications were a short shifter and a set of ST coilovers. I will post pictures as they are available and post the final dyno run as well.<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Starting weight: 4006 lbs with a full tank of gas. I had it weighed at a race car fabrication shop on scales used for corner balancing.<o:p></o:p>
Round One:<o:p></o:p>
Pounds lost and item description
90 Headers and full custom 3” exhaust, Burns Stainless straight thru mufflers, crossover, Vibrant 4” cans in place of resonators
57 Battery

30 Stereo, dvd nav, amps and 12 of 14 speakers removed and replaced with single din head unit and use the door speakers only
35 remove everything from the trunk and anything under the hood that is not neessary: insulation that is clipped or screwed in, tool kit, window washer, headlight washer, etc
20 Wheels in stock sizes by D-Force
Tires
74 VX2000 seats by Corbeau

10 evolve intake(estimate for now, will check weight when installing)<o:p></o:p>
Alpha N Tune from Evolve<o:p></o:p>
Dyno testing<o:p></o:p>
TOTAL LOST 336lbs<o:p></o:p>
Coming later:
35 brakes with two piece rotors/aluminum calipers
35 cf hood and trunk
25 steel bumper shocks replaced with fixed aluminum copies
40 replace sunroof assembly and glass with fixed CF or fiberglass panel<o:p></o:p>

Evolve heads and Schrick cams<o:p></o:p>
Possible Vanos removal. Not a typical modification, but should be fine paired with the weight reduction. <o:p></o:p>
135 additional pounds lost for a total of 471lbs and a final curb weight of 3535 lbs<o:p></o:p>

Attachments

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
I bought my 2000 M5 in February of this year and have been planning upgrades and collecting parts since then. The goal is a naturally aspirated power increase along with weight loss through careful part selection and removal of some luxury items. This is not a track build. The car will not look much different, other than being an inch lower than stock, with aftermarket wheels and two 3” pipes at the end of the exhaust instead of dual tips. The final goal is 480hp and 3500lbs, but after this stage I expect to be at 3670lbs with a full tank of gas and approximately 445 hp. The car is now at Rennhaus in Sarasota getting the first round of modifications done. When I bought the car, the only modifications were a short shifter and a set of ST coilovers. I will post pictures as they are available and post the final dyno run as well.<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Starting weight: 4006 lbs with a full tank of gas. I had it weighed at a race car fabrication shop on scales used for corner balancing.<o:p></o:p>
Round One:<o:p></o:p>
Pounds lost and item description
90 Headers and full custom 3” exhaust, Burns Stainless straight thru mufflers, crossover, Vibrant 4” cans in place of resonators
57 Battery

30 Stereo, dvd nav, amps and 12 of 14 speakers removed and replaced with single din head unit and use the door speakers only
35 remove everything from the trunk and anything under the hood that is not neessary: insulation that is clipped or screwed in, tool kit, window washer, headlight washer, etc
20 Wheels in stock sizes by D-Force
Tires
74 VX2000 seats by Corbeau

10 evolve intake(estimate for now, will check weight when installing)<o:p></o:p>
Alpha N Tune from Evolve<o:p></o:p>
Dyno testing<o:p></o:p>
TOTAL LOST 336lbs<o:p></o:p>
Coming later:
35 brakes with two piece rotors/aluminum calipers
35 cf hood and trunk
25 steel bumper shocks replaced with fixed aluminum copies
40 replace sunroof assembly and glass with fixed CF or fiberglass panel<o:p></o:p>

Evolve heads and Schrick cams<o:p></o:p>
Possible Vanos removal. Not a typical modification, but should be fine paired with the weight reduction. <o:p></o:p>
135 additional pounds lost for a total of 471lbs and a final curb weight of 3535 lbs<o:p></o:p>
Great thread, similar to what I would like to achieve.I already have two piece rotors, LW FW, and full SS exhaust with X pipe. This would be really nice to drop some much weight! With that said proper shock/spirng should be matched to the weight.

With 3535 lbs + driver 180 lbs we should see 117 mph Trap speeds with the mods?

·
Registered
805 Posts
yes, more pics of exhaust please. it has to be fairly loud.

i have to question the sanity of replacing the bumper shocks with aluminum hard mounts on a street car.

are you stripping any of the interior as well?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Ive only heard/seen one video of an e39 M5 with Burns and loved it. Would also love to hear it in video.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The exhaust should have been done by the end of the day today, so I am going in the morning to take pictures. Right now, it has no cats and the only mufflers are the two burns units that are in the picture. The original plan was to put the burns in place of the cats or where the resonator used to be, then put a pair of straight thru aluminum mufflers from Vibrant in the back. The only place the burns would fit was in the back, so that is where we put them. The aluminum becomes brittle if it get to hot, so it cannot go any closer to the engine than all the way in the back. We will be listening to the sound levels with just the two burns on there. I fully expect it to be too loud, then the Vibrant cans will get overnighted and put in where the resonators are now.

I will take pics of everything as it progresses over the next two weeks.

Banel, I am always glad to meet a fellow enthusiast, pm me your email to me and will give you more info.

Regarding replacing the bumper shocks, I understand the concern about a solid connection between the frame and bumper. I have not held one of them in my hand to check the design, but the plan is to make it out of thin enough gauge aluminum that is collapses via crushing instead of direct transmission of force. We may use more than one gauge of metal, and we may put cuts or holes of from large to small to encourage progressive crushing. I will never claim to be completely rational about my hobby.

I will not gut the interior. This is a daily drive and family car. I can barely get my wife to drive it now. AC, comfortable seats, and stereo that works for news radio is mandatory. I just think they loaded up the M5 with WAY TOO MANY options. Headlamp washers, heated seats in Florida, a sunroof, etc. just seem useless to me. Unfortunately I could not find a body in white with engine, tranny and running gear to start with, so this is the upgrade path for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
Out of curiosity, is there some kind of budget you are working with?

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Is this build for a street car or the beginning stages of a track toy? Very interesting mods.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
As part of shaving weight, I noticed you still have the rear muffler heat shields in place. Ditch em!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is a street car, I am not comfortable with the risks of racing. My last car was an NSX. I was planning a trip to Sebring with Chin Motorsports, but when the time came to join in, I could not do it to the car or risk an injury.

Removing the heat shields is probably a good idea. With the thinner gauge allowing more heat dissipation before the exhaust gets to that point, and the large open space around the muffler itself, it is probably not necessary.

I have been trying to find a reversible and reasonably priced way to lose the sunroof and the associated weight. I was able to buy from Ebay the sunroof glass only for $90. I will be trying to copy the glass in fiberglass and finding a gasket that will allow for easy installation from the outside after removing the glass, cartridge and associated parts. It should drop 40lbs++, and the roof is a great place to lose pounds.

My budget is whatever I can get away with while staying married.

·
Registered
161 Posts
This will be an interesting project to follow - Good Luck and keep the pictures and updates coming.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sweet! I'm looking forward to hearing that exhaust.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Below are the pics of the exhaust. As I noted previously, the smaller 4" mufflers that are going in the middle of the system are not in yet. We will be making the decision on what to install after running it and checking noise volumes.
Rennhaus started working on the lion battery with remote cut off switch this afternoon and I hope to be fitted for seating position tomorrow afternoon.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
At the time these pics were taken, they were still working on fitting the brackets. That is why it looks like it is mounted a little low in the pictures.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts