BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya folks. My first post, and an interesting one... time to explain...

I was on Youtube on one of Gustav's videos and I made a comment that the Veyron has done 7:40 on the Nurburgring-Nordschleife. It was on one of the Koenigsegg related vids. So after a several paragraph convo, I offered to sign up here and post my proof (Wheels mag, from Australia, December 2005 issue). So I did and he asked me to post it up here...

So here's the part of the article that says it...

Pay attention to the bit at the bottom that says 'stats incredible.' Sorry about the quality, I'll get higher if I can, but if anyone can't read it, it says "Veyron clocked 7min 40sec around the benchmark Nurburgring - despite overtaking four cars in the process."

In the same issue they did the 1/4 mile in 9.9 @ 225km/h in it. Here's the scan... (if you guys want the rest of the article up, just say so).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well... it does weigh 1950kg (4290lbs). Considering it was built to do 250mph+ and be luxurious... methinks 7:40 isn't too bad.

Plus when you take the GT-R (7:38) and CCR (7:34) its quite close.

7:40 is a 460 second lap. 7:38 is 458 seconds, an 0.44% difference.

7:34 is 454 seconds, a 1.31% difference. Not the biggest of margains. Its also dead even with the Murcielago LP640, CLK-DTM AMG, Mercedes-McLaren SLR and Porsche 911 Turbo.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Thank you for that and welcome! But is it really picture on Nordschleife and the time is really just mentioned beiefly. I have a hard time beleiving that that magazine ran the Veyron on the Nordschleife when no other media have done it at all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
No, the magazine never went to the Nurburgring, 7:40 was an estimation they did. nobody has tested the veryon there yet as far as I know, but knowing the impressive top gear power lap time where the veyron was faster than the Zonda F, MC12, Enzo and CGT...I could imagine the veyron could do 7:35 or even faster times at the Ring. But we never know until somebody is running the veyron there...

·
Registered
574 Posts
It would be amazing if some owners would let their McLaren F1 and the Veyron be driven properly fast around the Nordschleife.

I ran some tests in Gran Turismo 5. Most cars are extremely well simulated, since it has the Top Gear test track it is quite easy to see how accurate each car is by running a proper lap and comparing with Stigs time on the power board. Many cars are within 1% accurate, my time with the Zonda R before it was featured on the show a few weeks back (after GT5's release) was only 0.1 seconds slower than Stigs time. Ferrari 458 was also within 0.2 seconds. Even slower cars like the Golf V GTi was within 0.3 seconds margin. Unfortunately it seams that the Veyron is not among the most accurately simulated cars (its also a "Standard" car only with less detail then the "premium" cars).

Top Gear test track (benchmark)
My time: 1.14
Stigs 1.18

Error margin of 5%

Nurburgring Nordschleife
My Time: 7.07
With 5% added: 7.28

Never know with simulations, but the massive power and 4WD does make a big difference, it just explodes out from the bends and reaches crazy speeds in no time, with that airbrake (simulated accurately) it does stop quite well too dispite the weight. It does about 360km/h on the main straight after tiergarten... I think it could be faster then almost all previous road cars, wouldn't be surprised by a ~7.20 -7.25 time if pushed to its limits properly.

Not to mention the lightened and more powerful Super Sport which would be significantly quicker :)

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Great analysis!

All well Roggan? We talked about you the other day while giving a ride to a few people in my M3 DCT sedan :)

It would be amazing if some owners would let their McLaren F1 and the Veyron be driven properly fast around the Nordschleife.

I ran some tests in Gran Turismo 5. Most cars are extremely well simulated, since it has the Top Gear test track it is quite easy to see how accurate each car is by running a proper lap and comparing with Stigs time on the power board. Many cars are within 1% accurate, my time with the Zonda R before it was featured on the show a few weeks back (after GT5's release) was only 0.1 seconds slower than Stigs time. Ferrari 458 was also within 0.2 seconds. Even slower cars like the Golf V GTi was within 0.3 seconds margin. Unfortunately it seams that the Veyron is not among the most accurately simulated cars (its also a "Standard" car only with less detail then the "premium" cars).

Top Gear test track (benchmark)
My time: 1.14
Stigs 1.18

Error margin of 5%

Nurburgring Nordschleife
My Time: 7.07
With 5% added: 7.28

Never know with simulations, but the massive power and 4WD does make a big difference, it just explodes out from the bends and reaches crazy speeds in no time, with that airbrake (simulated accurately) it does stop quite well too dispite the weight. It does about 360km/h on the main straight after tiergarten... I think it could be faster then almost all previous road cars, wouldn't be surprised by a ~7.20 -7.25 time if pushed to its limits properly.

Not to mention the lightened and more powerful Super Sport which would be significantly quicker :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Thanks Gustav :) I'm doing most of my racing in virtual form now since the weather does not allow for much speedy driving in the M6 (though I drive it daily, and quite fast too :)). In the wet and cold (as I'm sure you are also well familiar with) I rarely see more then 50% throttle before I'm sideways at almost any speed. Spring is coming soon though, you can feel the warmth in the sun now! :)

Ahh so you bought an M3, congrats!! I heard you where looking around for one with an SC kit, thats really the best of both worlds, the more nimble handing of the M3 but with the power of an M5 (and still room for the family)! Is/have you gotten yours SC'ed or do you run stock (still great car!)? What was the best from Geneva, the Lambo Aventator (that is a proper new Lambo, must have looked even better IRL)?

Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts