BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fitted the BSW system (front and rear) to the 2000 M5 yesterday and are very impressed with the improvements.
BMW Speakers Upgrade for E39 BMW 528i, 540i, 525i, 530i, M5 Sedans & Wagons | BSW: Audio Upgrades For BMWs
When stock I found the best you could get the system was to about 50% of max volume, now it fells like 75% as a min.

Fitting the rear tweets is tricky, but really all pretty safe as a DIY.
Front tweets have a leg screwed on the back as they need to be screwed under one of the bolts that holds the mirror on.
Some bending is then required on that leg to then face it back towards the driver/passenger.

One issues that arose was that when I was testing the system after I had it all back together, as I began to hear the sound quality degrade and thought I had a rattle in one of the doors, but seconds later I noticed the volume going down.
The car went dead.
I charged it and was testing again it the same thing happened when testing it, and this time my have screen wouldn't work.
It's basically black and has a flicker of light at the bottom. The system works (plays sound) but turns it's self off after 2min 40 every time.

You guys got any ideas on what's up?

PS... I was looking at the rear shelf sub system, I've got the DSP but is the pics showing it as M-Audio?
Surprised BSW don't do a replacement twin speaker system for this...
I know of the single 10" sub they do, so maybe will work on that next year.

Apples

Attachments

·
Registered
835 Posts
sounds like you are clipping the speakers at high volume, but that does not explain why your car would shut off. Are your doing this with the car on or off?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All was fine with the sound, but as voltage gets critical I guess the signal also degrades, so does the sound quality.
I only had the ignition on at the time, so there's the issue.
I disconnected the battery overnight to see if things would rest, but not luck.
I wonder if it's critical or just good timing for the 16:9 upgrade to the ole girl?

Apples

·
Registered
835 Posts
Your sound quality wont decrease because of the lack of voltage. German cars actually run quite high and are able to sustain high voltages for extended periods of time. Im sure the sound quality degraded because of the combination of the battery going out and you running the vehicle only off the battery. Speakers distort when you send them a clipped signal from the amp.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts