BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

A BSW subwoofer install due to the lack of bass from my DSP stock system.

SDC10500.JPG
BSW subwoofer kit thanks to a fellow board member.

SDC10501.JPG

Stock subwoofer (approx. 2- 5" woofers), Dinan rear bar (eye candy)

SDC10502.JPG
Removal of stock system, quite easy.

SDC10503.JPG
Don't forget to unplug the subwoofer with a simple pinch of the plug

SDC10505.JPG
Small subwoofers produce surprising sound of stock system, but definitely not enough for me.

SDC10507.JPG
Planned amp location, BSW recommends back of rear seat, but for now the passenger side seem right for me. I am still able to get to the plugs and fuses with ease. Velcro will assist with keeping this removable carpet door in place. I placed small pieces of wood in back of the carpet with screws that are covered by the amp when installed. Also, drilled 3 holes in the bottom of the carpet and installed small plastic rings for the ground, power, and speaker wires.

SDC10510.JPG
Amp installed, location provides maximum eye candy without being in the way. I already adjusted the amp for a week or so before installing. However, carpet door is still easily removable without disturbing wiring or amp connections.

SDC10511.JPG
Subwoofer installed, this was a bit of a pain because the supplied bolts still turned when attempting to tighten the nuts. I was a bit frustrated by this and installed the bolts and one nut to secure the bolt. Then, mounted the subwoofer and placed a second nut without difficulty of the bolt turning. Used black plastic harness to conceal the speaker wire of the subwoofer box.

Everything else is behind the carpet. Overall, I am pleased with the single 10" subwoofer to supply bass since I am not looking for a boom boom system.

Now off to a bigger project waiting in my garage:D

James

Attachments

Reactions: Mike S.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Nice install, very clean. Thanks for the additional instructions I looked over the BSW .pdf online for this and had some doubts about those mounting nuts and bolts...

I replaced the M-audio speakers in my car with the BSW stage one kit, very tempted to do this as a next step. The M-audio 10" drivers are so weak I sometimes question if they are on. I'm not looking for BOOM SHAKA LAKA either, just fill into the lower octaves. Let us know your continuing impressions of the system.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Nice work James!!! Now lets get that other issue resolved and installed :)

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did not have an M audio system, so I cannot compare. The system is good for now, however I use to have a car with 2 -12" Kicker competitions and infinity kapa components all around. This system does not even come close and I already wished that it was 12" woofer instead of a 10" woofer. Thanks for the comments on the install.

James

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice work James!!! Now lets get that other issue resolved and installed :)
Yes sir!!! However, I have another thing happening at the moment that I will post in hopefully a week:blink:

James

·
Registered
355 Posts
I used to go nuts with car audio as well, Polk components with multiple Alpine amps in a Maxima, then Eclipse and JL gear with dedicated amps, fuse blocks, caps, etc in a Z. Spoiled me rotten, but I'm not looking to return to that level of modification. Thanks again for the thoughts.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have the BSW stage one speakers and subwoofer.

I bought them during BSW's black friday $999 sale a couple of months ago. I had the whole system installed about a month ago. The installer put the sub amp in the partial wheel well where the BMW goop can and air compressor are stored. A nice, stealth installation. Although I didn't install the system myself, I was with the installer the whole time that the surgery was being performed. I recall installing the subwoofer box but I don't recall having any trouble with the nuts and bolts. Mind you, one of us held the bolt on top of the parcel shelf with a wrench while the other screwed the nut on.

I found the mid-range response of the stage one speakers to be somewhat more realistic, a little crisper, but not a great deal different than the stock BMW ones. The highs are noticeableably better. However, the biggest difference is in the base response. Much better than stock. The original owner of my car installed an Infinity Basslink 10" powered box subwoofer in the trunk. The BSW subwoofer is far superior in sound response and it gives me back the trunk space that the Basslink required. I purchased the optional subwoofer remote control button and had it installed in the small storage compartment with the sliding door located just below the arm rest. Works like a charm. I can now control base response "on-the-fly".

I'm very pleased with the BSW system.

I'm not affiliated with BSW, just a happy customer.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Well done James, I guess I never realized you had caramel for interior. (even though you list it in your car description in your avatar... DOH!) Im thinking about doing this very thing excep fabbing the box myself and using my own components. Brian (Lunker325) and Tim should be able to help me get it "just right".

Thanks for posting the pix. I like the location for your amp. Something to think about.

Reactions: jimmythefish

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well done James, I guess I never realized you had caramel for interior. (even though you list it in your car description in your avatar... DOH!) Im thinking about doing this very thing excep fabbing the box myself and using my own components. Brian (Lunker325) and Tim should be able to help me get it "just right".

Thanks for posting the pix. I like the location for your amp. Something to think about.
Hdhntr23,
Brian's install is sweet, I just do not have the time to make a box and do the whole thing. Also, I sleep at night... as we know Timmay is the man, he doesn't sleep and he produces amazing audio set ups:goldcup:.

James

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Nice install James, it has to feel good opening all those boxes and finding out how good the stuff inside sounds!

I know exactly what you are talking about with the bolt not staying in place. I did the same thing, put a nut on to hold the bolt, and then the box can be mounted with ease.

I like how cleanly the amp is mounted with the grommets for the wiring, nice touch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts