BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2000 M5 for about 2 years now. Due for a service about March. Under braking the steering wheel rapidly wobbles from side to side. Started about 1 year ago and has been gradually getting worse. Braked off motorway the other day, as I was coming to a stop the wobble was extremely bad and almost a banging noise with the vibration when pulling to a complete stop last couple of metres. I was so concerned I drove straight home slowly after checking the wheel nuts were actually done up properly which they were. Now I am concerned even using it.

I haven't taken it to BMW yet as the service isn't due. Before I do I would like to know what peoples views are on what could be wrong here.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Wobble

That would be the thrust arm bushings telling you they need to be replaced. Very common to all E39's with 60,000 plus miles.
Do a search on "thrust arm bushings" and you will see what is involved.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have had my 2000 M5 for about 2 years now. Due for a service about March. Under braking the steering wheel rapidly wobbles from side to side. Started about 1 year ago and has been gradually getting worse. Braked off motorway the other day, as I was coming to a stop the wobble was extremely bad and almost a banging noise with the vibration when pulling to a complete stop last couple of metres. I was so concerned I drove straight home slowly after checking the wheel nuts were actually done up properly which they were. Now I am concerned even using it.

I haven't taken it to BMW yet as the service isn't due. Before I do I would like to know what peoples views are on what could be wrong here.
Thrust arm bushings perhaps!!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
could very well be rotors also
This is what it was on mine. New rotors and pads fixed 90% of it. The last part is in the bushings which are on their way out.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
could be your ball joint in really bad shape.

I would jack the front of the car.
And check each wheels (put your hand on "9 o'clock" and at "3 o'clock") see if you can wiggle it.
It should be tight.

Regardz,

J Irwan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts