BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

My new-to-me 2002 M5 has like-new interior with no scuffs/marks or any sign of wear at all.
While reconditioning the extended leather I fond a crack in the front center vent which makes no sense. there is no evidence of impact around it. Seems like it just cracked for no reason.
Is this a normal wear item?

Does anyone have a nice one sitting around for sale?

·
Registered
241 Posts
mine has it too... like you I have a leather wrapped dash

who knows maybe expansion of leather wrapped dash causes it, my e46 and e39 Touring and all my friends cars with the same vent haven't cracked

·
Registered
229 Posts
mine has it too... like you I have a leather wrapped dash

who knows maybe expansion of leather wrapped dash causes it, my e46 and e39 Touring and all my friends cars with the same vent haven't cracked

I have the exact same crack in the same location with my sports interior. I guess the plastic dash warps too. I was thinking about replacing it but it seems like it'll happen again within no time.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Apparently, there is either a stress concentration there or a a manufacturing defect. My 540 has the same issue, minus the leather dash. :biggrin:

·
Registered
797 Posts
I'm completely missing that end. Found it in the floor one day! :dunno:

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have the exact same crack in the same location with my sports interior. I guess the plastic dash warps too. I was thinking about replacing it but it seems like it'll happen again within no time.
hrmm strange that my e46 and my wife's i6 e39, no cracking... also I've never noticed a crack in any NJ chapter CCA members e46s, but the vents are the same... so from my anecdotal experience it is only happening the v8s hrmm. anyone see it happen on an i6 model e46 or e39?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
That's funny, mine is cracked in that exact spot and has been since I bought it..it doesn't bother me so I never replaced it. I have sport interior btw.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
does anyone know if the center console A/C vents pop out easily? i don't have a crack but the vent adjuster on my passenger side slides out a bit (more than normal) to one side leading me to think the plastic behind it is broken..

·
Registered
414 Posts
I just check mine and guess what.. Crack too. wtf.

00 m5 / Ext leather / Sport int.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Add me to the club.
Cracked in two spots!
I may need to pull it out to access the blower motor as its chirping is getting annoying.

·
Registered
414 Posts
If i buy one to replace it.. I'm going to use some crazy glue on the inside of the corner to keep it intact.

I think is from chassis flex or dash flex to make that corner crack..

Hmmm....

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
No crack in mine. 7/01 build, 57k miles. I wonder if these cracks are from thermal cycling of cars in cold (or very hot) climates perhaps (i.e. cars that haven't been in a mild climate and garaged 24/7).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts