BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I just bought my first M5! It's an E34 ('91) M5 with 145k on it. Black exterior, black interior. The block is cracked, which is why I bought it. The previous owner didn't want to fix it, so he sold it to me.

I'm well aware of how expensive the S38 parts are, I've already sourced a new block and pistons, and this weekend I will have the head sent off to the machine shop to see if it is damaged, and if so, if it is repairable. Seems to me it is likely to be cracked or warped as well, seeing as how it is aluminum and the cast iron block is cracked.

Either way, I'm up for advise on what to do with it. I'd ideally like to return it back to original. If that prooves too costly, then I have a twin turbo M30 under construction in my 535i that I could swap into the M5. Though I'm afraid if I did that, the German man who built that car with his own hands might haunt me for the rest of my life!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Only you will know what your finances will allow.
If at all possible, keep it std<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
128 Posts
i might have an S38B38 that I might be able to be talked out of. I am thiniking aobut dropping it in an M3 when i get back to the states.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is in my 1992 nurimburgring edition that was rearended a few weeks ago, 139000km, has the usual oil leaks however runs perfect.
Sounds decent enough. When will you be returning to the states? Do some research and figure out what you'd want for it. Send me a message if you'd rather have it private.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is in my 1992 nurimburgring edition that was rearended a few weeks ago, 139000km, has the usual oil leaks however runs perfect.

Any news on what you'd want for your S38B38?

Does anyone know of a good resource to find a S38B36 block?

Of course I could go through BMW, but it's extremely expensive. I'd consider a rebuilt long block, heck, even one that isn't rebuilt and I'll rebuild it myself.

I've called Metric Mechanic, and they have blocks, but aren't willing to part with them because they make their money off selling entire engines.

Bavarian auto recycling has none.

·
Registered
763 Posts
do you check ebay?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I will echo Bob's query.

Just visited e-bay and there is a complete engine for 5K or best offer.

I toasted the head on my M5 a few years back. Took almost a year, but was able to source a cylinder head at a reasonable price via e-bay. Not a lot of them around, but they do come up from time to time. Be patient - but diligent in your search. There are a couple major BMW dismantlers in your area of the USA - contact them directly. Good luck !

·
Registered
107 Posts
Is this the M5 that was for sale in Bellingham, Wa? I live across the river from you in Portland. Let us know what the detailed inspection reveals.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is this the M5 that was for sale in Bellingham, Wa? I live across the river from you in Portland. Let us know what the detailed inspection reveals.

Yes, it is the one that was for sale up in Bellingham. My brother works at the shop that diagnosed the cracked block. Wow...that sounds like a conflict of interest... It's not, I swear.

I drove up north last weekend and bought it, and brought the head back with me and it's at Aluminum head rebuilders in Portland. They called me today and the head is good to go, no cracks, no warpage, and passed all pressure checks!

I'm having them replace the guides and guide seals, deck the surface, basic rebuild things.

I just bought a NEW block from Rasmussen, it's on its way from Germany. BMW has rereleased a limited number of S38B36 blocks, this happens to be the very last one they made. I'm unsure of when they will make another production run. I weighed out the advantages of going for a used engine, and those engines even used are just too much money. For half of what everyone wanted for one with 150k miles on it, I could get a NEW block, new pistons, new rings, new bottom end bearings (main and rod), new bottom end rebuild kit (oil pan gasket, etc), new headgasket and head bolts, and a freshly rebuilt head.

I would have loved to go 3.9 or 4.2L stroker, but just couldn't justify spending 7,000 more dollars, for 100 more hp.

The car itself is in very good shape. The paint is in excellent shape. It does have two dents on it, pretty minor. And the paint is flaking a bit on the front bumper. The interior is in very good shape as well. Of course, the driver's rear door panel insert is peeling off, and there is some wear on the driver's seat bolster. But that is to be expected for 169k miles.

I've got an E34 535i with practically perfect sport seats in it, and practically perfect door panels as well. The M5 will likely get the nicer of all the parts I've got.

You might start seeing it around Portland/Vancouver area within the next month or two. Thanks for the inquiry.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I picked up the cylinder head from the machine shop. I've been very happy with the Chuck down at Aluminum Head Rebuilders in Portland. Here are some pictures of the head as I got it back. It's extremely clean and looks great. I had them replace the intake and exhaust vales also.

I noticed some things about it that I couldn't see on it before when it was all covered in dirt. These heads have machined combustion chambers, and polished intake ports! Neat stuff you don't see on standard stuff, I'm glad to see those tricks made their way onto the M cars.

Either way, still waiting for the block from Rasmussen. I guess Germany is pretty far away, lol.

Enjoy!

I'll get a Picasa set up soon, that makes pictures easier.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
update

Thought you may appreciate a photographic update. All bearings are replaced, crank is in, pistons are all assembled to conrods. Pistons installed into the block, a few shots of checking bearing clearances. And, the rear panels are suffering their typical fate, so I picked up an entire door panels/dash board trim pieces with birds eye maple woodgrain.

Enjoy. Let me know what you think!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Great pics and update ........ Thanks for sharing .

You must be so excited about getting her back on the road !?

p.s. Inspiring tattoo also !

D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great pics and update ........ Thanks for sharing .

You must be so excited about getting her back on the road !?

p.s. Inspiring tattoo also !

D

Yes - I'm very excited to get it back on the road. My brother is coming to my place this weekend to help me with the timing cover/cylinder head/cams. Then the engine will be ready to drop back into the car. It's still up north in Bellingham, so I'll have to find a weekend to bring the engine to it and get it installed. 4.5 hour trip one way, so it will take a full weekend.

I'm shooting to have the car running by mid June.

I'll upload some additional pictures after we get the head on.

Thanks for the compliment on the tattoo.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Good looking car and great looking build. Glad to see you went with the S38.

Cheers,

Brian

1 - 20 of 35 Posts