BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Odd Headlamp Question (go figure huh)

Since it looks like I will need to replace mine I was poking around on ebay and got to noticing something.

The back of a Halogen assempbly is the same as the Xenon minus the Balasts bulbs etc.

Couldn't I scavange my bulbs and balllasts to a halogen assembly like this?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Re: Odd Headlamp Question (go figure huh)

I believe the lense is different. Also the Halogen does not have the autoleveling mechanism.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The lens on these is the same BUT I had forgotten about the Auto Level.

Rats

·
Registered
12,927 Posts

Tim W said:
Since it looks like I will need to replace mine I was poking around on ebay and got to noticing something.

The back of a Halogen assempbly is the same as the Xenon minus the Balasts bulbs etc.

Couldn't I scavange my bulbs and balllasts to a halogen assembly like this?
Why do you need to replace yours?
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

My adjusters for left/right and up/down are broken. The only replacements available are for the left/right adjuster. Thus I am stuck aiming 6ft in front of the car.

·
Registered
12,927 Posts

Tim W said:
My adjusters for left/right and up/down are broken. The only replacements available are for the left/right adjuster. Thus I am stuck aiming 6ft in front of the car.
I thought CA Automotive just came out with some metal adjusters, about $39 (each or a pair) and I thought BMW has the replacements in plastic (so they can break again) for less than half that.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

gsfent said:
I thought CA Automotive just came out with some metal adjusters, about $39 (each or a pair) and I thought BMW has the replacements in plastic (so they can break again) for less than half that.
Regards,
Jerry
I got the pastic ones. One works for left/right but the other one for up down does not work correctly.

Any idea where I can find the CA Automotive guys?

·
Registered
12,927 Posts

Tim W said:
I got the pastic ones. One works for left/right but the other one for up down does not work correctly.

Any idea where I can find the CA Automotive guys?

Sure, they are a board sponsor. Go to the Group Buy section, they have a post in the beginning of July about the headlight adjusters. Called it something like headlight halo repair kit, or close to that.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Kees!

Instead of spending another 135+ I bought a new set for 767. No scratches or chips, high intensity AE's and clear corners.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Tim W said:
Thanks Kees!

Instead of spending another 135+ I bought a new set for 767. No scratches or chips, high intensity AE's and clear corners.
Sounds like you got the Umnitza Projecto49's. Do you have them in your hands yet? I'd like some feedback on them. In another post, someone said Umnitza told them the quality of them was NOT as good as the OEM Hella ones. I had assumed they were OEM Hella's with the aftermarket AE's put in, since it's an easy swap, but perhaps not.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I have seen Ronnies and they look great. I will have mine mid week.

I will post pictures and a review at that time. Cool?

Have a good weekend

·
Registered
89 Posts
Tim W: Does the Umnitza kit support auto-leveling and did you go with the 6000k bulb? Please let us know your views on the headlight kit once it's installed. The pictures on Umnitza's website makes the car look oh-so-nice.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys

So far this project is a pain in the ***. I am working with them now. I may have been shipped the wrong lights but that is unclear. They will get back to me Thursday. But as of this moment I would never buy these lights again. They look cool but this set I have has some serious issues.

Once again it may be a mistake shipment or a lack of understanding about the 01+ light differences over the 00's so I will let you know as this pans out.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And I was told by Matt on the phone they would work just fine with my 01.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Tim W said:
And I was told by Matt on the phone they would work just fine with my 01.
I just got off the phone with Matt and I'm more confused now than before. He said the projector39 w/xenon's like these will not fit ANY e39 2001+ because of some sort of change in headlight mounting design after the 2000 MY. However he said the Hella E39 EURO Projectors with Celis Technology kind like these would fit, they would just need an adapter to use the xenon's in the H7 housing but they are not bi-xenon so you would lose that ability and it didn't matter what year.

Now I'm really confused because why would one set be "universal" for all years, even though the site states that they are through '00 only, and the other set, would not be ok for '01+???
ouich

He said the only way to retain OEM functionality for '01+ would be to get the '01+ OEM euro headlight assemblies from an OEM distributor such as pacific, bekker's, etc...

Does anyone have the part #'s for just the plastic headlight adjusters??

·
Registered
138 Posts
dmz said:
If it's part of the headlight then they might not sell them separately.
Check here to see if you see a separate part for it:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=DE93&mospid=47592&hg=63&fg=05
It's not, the P/N you're looking for is 63120027924, I just ordered a set locally from Sterling BMW for $11.95 w/BMWCCA discount per side and they'll be in on Thursday. I was going to order from Pacific, but they would take at least a week to get here and had $15 for shipping attached. By the way, the price Pacific gave me was 10.95/set so if you're local, that's a great deal as they have them in stock.

Sean

1 - 20 of 20 Posts