BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well yesterday being a dumb a$s i broke the handle off the oil dipstick. i tried to drill into the remaining part stuck in the tube to thread in a screw and pull it out but it wasn't going right so i stopped before i just made a mess and a vacuum leak.

so i got to thinkin and im wondering if i can't pull it out from the top can i push it out from the bottom? when i get the new stick i was thinking of dropping the lower oil pan and see if i can push it out from the bottom. i've had the oil pan off theses engines before but never took notice to where the end of the dipstick enters. can anyone confirm that there is access to the bottom of it through the lower oil pan? thanks.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes, you should be able to push it out from the bottom with the lower oil pan removed.
However, the dipstick tube is held into the lower part of the engine by one 10mm bolt if I remember correctly.
You may be able to access that (could be tricky getting into it!) , slide the tube up a bit, and grip the lower part of the dipstick with pliers or similar.:3:

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Yep, try accessing it from the tube that bolts into the top of the oil pan first and see if you can push it up from there. Easier than dropping the lower oil pan, I would think.

Just to make you feel a little better, I did this once. I just got lucky that there was enough of the stick left protruding for me to grab with a set of pliers.

--Peter

·
Registered
1,831 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Have you tried inserting two narrow screwdrivers and used them like chopsticks or is there not enough room? Then again there may be enough room to just insert your new dipstick and be done with it. Not that I would do something like that....

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
as i said i didn't try too much because i don't have the new one yet. i can spin the remains in the tube but just doesn't want to pop out. was gonna try drilling a small hole in the remaining plastic portion and thread a screw into it to grab onto.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I like screw idea because it is simple and could be a quick fix. Epoxy might also do it. Maybe a little of both? If you use a screw, I might consider drilling a small pilot hole first so it doesn't wedge things in tighter but simply gets a good purchase.

Loosening bolt holding the tube seems like it would work, but a quick look under my hood tells me that bolt is not easy to access (OK, I looked again, its not that bad). You have a new supercharger in the neighborhood making access even tougher.

This timing is lousy with your new supercharged motor waiting to be driven!

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the prob with pulling the whole tube out is its not straight and now with the additional components in the way i don't think it will slide right up and out. though as suggested i may be able to get it up enough out of the pan to grab the bottom of the stick and push it out of the tube.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The bottom of the tube may be gasketed at the pan so I don't know how easy it will be to pull it through and get it back in from up top. The crankcase needs to be under some vaccuum for emissions (which is why the dipstick has O-rings on it).

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no my worst case scenario was to drop the pan and push it up and out the top from the bottom opening of the tube. no need though, i kept drilling into the plastic till i finally exposed the metal rod inside it, then was able to grab it with pliers and yank it out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts