BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving along at 60mph on the A322 in 6th and there is a minor jolt and the car seems to slow down. Clutch and rev it and the revs won't rise. Change gear but no effect, the car is slowing down and I know its going to stop. I get it on the verge, put the hazards on and tried to start it. It would start but die straight away.

I had the peake in the car so read the codes off as fuel on bank 1-4 and pre-cat O2 on 1-4. I pull the rear seats up and put it in position 2 listening for the fuel pump. No noise.

I pull the maff's and try to start it, again, starts but dies.

Check the fuse (54) for the fuel pump in the boot and it looks corroded and possibly dead. Swapped it for the Cigarette one and started it.

Fires up and runs fine.

Examine the fuses and the fuel pump should be a 15A but it has a 25A fuse in it. Not had a chance to run any tests (like if it blows with a 15A) but wondered if anyone had any suggestions? The fuel pump was apparently replaced about 18 months ago by the previous owner.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Driving along at 60mph on the A322 in 6th and there is a minor jolt and the car seems to slow down. Clutch and rev it and the revs won't rise. Change gear but no effect, the car is slowing down and I know its going to stop. I get it on the verge, put the hazards on and tried to start it. It would start but die straight away.

I had the peake in the car so read the codes off as fuel on bank 1-4 and pre-cat O2 on 1-4. I pull the rear seats up and put it in position 2 listening for the fuel pump. No noise.

I pull the maff's and try to start it, again, starts but dies.

Check the fuse (54) for the fuel pump in the boot and it looks corroded and possibly dead. Swapped it for the Cigarette one and started it.

Fires up and runs fine.

Examine the fuses and the fuel pump should be a 15A but it has a 25A fuse in it. Not had a chance to run any tests (like if it blows with a 15A) but wondered if anyone had any suggestions? The fuel pump was apparently replaced about 18 months ago by the previous owner.
Hope your back home alright.
I don't know what could be wrong but has the pump been changed with an OEM item or do you think someones
just got careless with their fuse selection?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Do you still have the bad 25A fuse you pulled?
If so, would be helpful to put an ohmmeter on it and confirm that its really bad.
As simple as it sounds, seems you just had a bad fuse.

BTW, why were you only doing 60mph????

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you still have the bad 25A fuse you pulled?
If so, would be helpful to put an ohmmeter on it and confirm that its really bad.
As simple as it sounds, seems you just had a bad fuse.

BTW, why were you only doing 60mph????
Traffic ;)

I still have the fuse and the ohmeter is a good idea. I have just come back from a trip (with a proper 15A fuse installed) and all seemed fine.

Oh BTW, we moved into our house on the 1st. Nice 4 bedroom place, you have no excuse not to visit ;)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Traffic? ??????
How to solve that problem:

Video: Moscow motorcyclist's crazy high-speed commute — Autoblog

I thought about your problem some more, and other possibility is that you just had a small amount of corrosion in the fuse pins. I've seen that happen before, usually, just pulling the fuse and reinstalling solves the problems. And since you do live in a wet climate...

Or, you could have just suffered from a typical BMW-random-unexplained-electrical-glitch :dunno:

And don't worry, we WILL be over to visit!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Fuses matter. I once had a '72 911T and it had aluminum-tipped fuses. They would corrode badly, lights and horn would quit working, etc. I read through Panorama and saw someone was selling gold-plated fuses and they were guaranteed not to corrode. I bought them and installed them and never had any trouble again. The guy I sold the Porsche to (I owned it 14 years) was definitely impressed with gold plated fuses!

·
1,937 Posts
I also had a '72 911T with crap electrics. But as I'd had a '72 Alfa GTV before it, they were so much better that I really didn't notice until getting a newer car...

Gold plated fuses, though. Very cool :)

YG

·
Registered
238 Posts
Quick note on my '72 T. It was the 2.4 engine (of course), with mechanical injection. I took that off and put on Weber 40IDA3C carbs (PITA to keep synched). Short shift throw kit, E cams, S jugs, etc. Had about $20K in it and it ran like a scalded dog. Unfortunately, the engine also was running hot. Things kept crapping out on it, like that oil tank with the outside flap on passengers side. To find a new oil tank (there wasn't much to it), it cost $1,200.00, plus yours-truly doing the R&R. I finally sold it. Some things I loved on the car, but I longed for A/C, pw/pd, newer-nicer. I sold it and bought a new 95 M3. But I still love the 911 cars.

·
1,937 Posts
Mine tried to kill me just once too often. Never had a problem with heat because I'm in the UK, but corrosion, electrics and generally too wayward handling put me off. I had a variety of other things afterward, some worse, some way better, but like you I still have a soft spot for 911s.

Trouble is the new ones are almost too civilised for my liking. I fancy something like a 996 GT3 but it would have to be a toy. And it's got just toom any wheels for that...

·
Registered
238 Posts
And, the price of them is above what I'm willing to shell out anymore. I'd like to be able to get a bone-stock entry level 911 (2 wd), for about $60K I could probably live with that. But the way they're priced, they're off the charts. Going online indicates a very high price, but when you visit the $tealerships, that price has jumped substantially. I can't/won't do it. A darned good car for the money now is the Nissan GT-R. Wow, what a heck of a deal for $83K. I know it's not cheap, but it is one whale of a car!

On the M5 subject, I took mine out today for the first time in about 3 months. At a shopping store, someone clipped the left, rear corner hard, busting a hole in the corner and creasing the rear fender where it meets the bumper. Of course they left the scene. I didn't know about it until I got home and I'm fuming...........

·
1,937 Posts
Cripes, Ron, this is scary! Someone did exactly the same to mine about 18 months ago. Are you getting my karma down the line or something?

It was easy enough to get fixed but I'm still having trouble with the PDC which goes tits every time it gets wet now...

Hey ho.

YG

·
Registered
238 Posts
About 10 (or less) years ago some a-hole jumped on the hood of my '95 M3 in a theater parking lot one night. It cost $1,800.00 to get a new OEM hood put on. College town in Manhattan, KS (KSU). It was raining that night and my wife and I ran across the whole parking lot in the rain to get to our car, which was parked in the "lower 40" away from all cars. And then some jerk jumped up on my hood, left his sneaker mark on the roundel badge and butt marks on the upper part of the hood. All I can say is he better be thanking his lucky stars I didn't see him doing it. I'd still be doing time. I actually didn't notice it for 3-4 days as I hadn't driven that car and it was in the garage. Today's hit-and-run was probably by some airhead with a cell phone stuck to his/her jaw.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts