BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I knew it was bound to happen.. I just didn't expect it to happen so soon. As I was driving to work I got the dreaded "CHECK BRAKE LININGS" warning on the dash and knew it meant brake time.

After pricing out the rotors and pads and all the fun stuff to do a brake job I decided I'd bite the bullet and go to a Big Brake Kit. I narrowed it down to the Brembo GT or the StopTech kits. After doing some research and emailing Dave Z all sorts of questions I decided on the StopTech 355 / 345 BBK. I chose the StopTechs due to the fact I wanted to retain the use of my stock wheels and I'm not a fan of spacers. After that I had the hardest choice of all... red or black? Red has that cool racer look and a nice contrast with a black car; but black has that stealth aspect going for it... after debating for a night. I picked red. So, placing the order, hearing the sucking sound coming from my wallet and 5 days later I had 4 big packages on my doorstep.

I opened them up, basked in the glory that is 355mm x 32mm and 345mm x 28mm of stopping power and then promptly loaded them in my trunk to get them installed the next day. Now, waiting all day to pick up the car was about the hardest thing I've done in a long time (I really dislike being without my cars). But when I came to pick it up and saw the beast with it's new shiny red calipers and big shiny slotted rotors I knew I had made the right decision.

Now, with them being on my car I have to say it is fun to try and repeatedly send my passengers through the windshield checking out the new brakes :biggrin:. The bad part is having to deal with the slight squeaking of the brakes while everything seems to be settling (yes, the brakes were broken in correctly).

Attachments

Reactions: Gustav

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Very nice! Enjoy it.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
nice

·
Registered
931 Posts
Good Choice!!! Well done.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Good job. look nice

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are making me open up my wallet too :(. Great choice, can't wait to do the same...
Peer pressure.. peer pressure..

Thanks for the compliments... Now I just have to try and open up a weekend between school, work and life in general to make it to a track and give the brakes (and car) a real work out.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yes me too. I would guess about $5k plus labour. Close? How many labour hours?
Yeah, you'd be about right. Labor was the price of labor of a 4 wheel brake job and fluid flush. I don't know what labor runs around where y'all live but it wasn't too bad. They also bedded in the pads according to the StopTech instructions and probably had fun doing repeated 60 - 10 mph braking runs (I know I did when I was testing it out).

After this, my mod bug has been satiated for next many moons.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Yeah, you'd be about right. Labor was the price of labor of a 4 wheel brake job and fluid flush. I don't know what labor runs around where y'all live but it wasn't too bad. They also bedded in the pads according to the StopTech instructions and probably had fun doing repeated 60 - 10 mph braking runs (I know I did when I was testing it out).

Okay, I am sold. Done 4 track days (2 x 2 day sessions) and the stock brakes were great. New pads both times. I always felt that I could do better braking later but I was not willing to try it with the stock brakes.

BTW the mod bug never ends, we are addicted...

·
Registered
1,599 Posts

Okay, I am sold. Done 4 track days (2 x 2 day sessions) and the stock brakes were great. New pads both times. I always felt that I could do better braking later but I was not willing to try it with the stock brakes.

·
Registered
453 Posts
It's hard bug to shake once you start! :hihi:

Got my BBK and installed it myself and never looked back...great mod! Now I've got an AA CAI kit, Lidatek, IATS relocate, H&R Coilovers, Eibach sways F/R, Hopefully SSR Comp wheels and 275 RA1's all around for spring...mod bug hurts the wallet in a big way, but it's so much fun! :noSMG:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's hard bug to shake once you start! :hihi:

Got my BBK and installed it myself and never looked back...great mod! Now I've got an AA CAI kit, Lidatek, IATS relocate, H&R Coilovers, Eibach sways F/R,
I would have liked to install the BBK myself but I just don't have the time and space right to have done it... so comprises have to be made (I don't mind supporting local business :) ).

Hopefully SSR Comp wheels and 275 RA1's all around for spring...
mod bug hurts the wallet in a big way, but it's so much fun! :noSMG:
I like the SSR Comps.. I was looking at getting them for my Miata since they are insanely light and tough. For the M5 I was thinking BBS RG-Rs wrapped in Bridgestone RE01Rs.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Recieved my StopTech kit today, being fitted at work on Monday - also went for red too!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Recieved my StopTech kit today, being fitted at work on Monday - also went for red too!

Congrats! I hear red is faster. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts