Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, fellas, here we go........

I spent the morning getting my car apart hoping the pars from Tischer would arrive before I had to go to work. No dice, so here it sits, guts spilled all over my garage. Timing was perfect to do this project because my RMS shows a TINIEST bit of seepage. I planned on replacing it anyway, so lucky me. LOL.

Here are some photos.

1. My stock clutch which I just put on about 12k miles ago.

3. Here are some side by side comparisons.

6. If you noticed, the self adjusting mechanism is not part of the new pressure plate. Why? I asked Brecus and this was their answer....
"A bit about this pressure plate design - The Sachs Race Engineered pressure plates eliminate the self adjusting mechanism as it's a weak point in racing. Sudden launches and hard shifts have been know to adjust them out prematurely and lock up the clutch. The OE manufacturer, Sachs, has designed/ engineered these clutches for those cars. "

7. Now, the Feramic clutch disc is CONSIDERABLY heavier than the OEM disc. This is due to the iron that was added to the ceramic (hence feramic). I was going to weigh the 2, but my scale's battery is dead. I am going to borrow one and get it done before I install it.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My mess...

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Very nice bro. I call dibs on the creeper.

·
Registered
159 Posts
nice, are you replacing the flywheel or having it resurfaced as well?

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
Tim, I'm watching with great interest as I'm next up for the Feramic clutch install. I truly admire your tenacity to tackle this job alone and on the ground. My hat's off to you, bro!

Chris, why would you need to call dibs on Tim's creeper? Is he about to become the victim of some unfortunate accident. Sounds sketchy to me.hmmm

And in term of mess, Richard wins! :thumbsup:

Reactions: timmay77

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Sorry guys, those garages look like a Marine barracks on inspection day compared to mine. But I don't want to side track Tim's thread. Maybe we should have a messy garage thread.

Good luck Tim.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
How funny. OCD Boy was really panicking at the mess he made on the garage floor. He was probably out there with a toothbrush getting up the spots.. :)

Not, that there is anything wrong with that.

Nice work Tim!! You da Man

Reactions: timmay77

·
Registered
146 Posts
+1 for messy garage thread. It'll give those of us without a garage something to drool over.

Irish, is that an OZ racing wheel?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Tim, I'm watching with great interest as I'm next up for the Feramic clutch install. I truly admire your tenacity to tackle this job alone and on the ground. My hat's off to you, bro!

Chris, why would you need to call dibs on Tim's creeper? Is he about to become the victim of some unfortunate accident. Sounds sketchy to me.hmmm

And in term of mess, Richard wins! :thumbsup:
+1...Richard, nice to hear from you. Best to you and yours in the New Year. Crossing my fingers I will see everyone in May.

Steve

·
Registered
567 Posts
I seem to recall a few other posts with pictures of Tim's entire exhaust system laid out on the floor...
Very interested to hear how this clutch performs.
And that stock clutch sure looks beat up for 12k miles. Is that just normal for the POS stock clutch?

And looking forward to the RMS replacement thread! :hihi:

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Houston, we have a problem.......

CAR WON'T START!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It acts as if it is out of time, which means the CPS is not reading the flywheel correctly. Flywheel installed correctly, for sure, no doubt. LOL. Thank goodness I took some hi res pictures. I think one of the tabs that the CPS reads is bent. Check this out.....

I acquired the flywheel from a close friend, (Thanks Peter) and had it sent out to Dinan for a refurb and resurface. I called them and asked if they check the tabs to be sure they are all straight, which they said they did. So it must have been damaged during shipping. Dinan at first washed their hands of me and we hung up. They said they do carry insurance on their packages, but I only have 4 days after receiving the item to file a claim, which was 3 months ago. I then got a call back asking me to send them pictures to their "warranty guy" to see what he thinks. I am sure I won't here back. At any rate, here are the install pics of the Brecus clutch. Not sure when I can actually DRIVE the car to see how it works since I have to tear everything back a part and redo the job once I get a good flywheel.......

1. Clutch disc installed with centering tool.

I just thought this one was cool. I didn't see this until I was putting everything back together.....

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Sorry to hear Tim. I'd keep on Dinan a while longer before giving up on them.

Why not ask for Steve himself (and email him) as we all know he especially loves the E39 M5.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Tim + Flywheel = Gives new meaning to: "If anything can go wrong, it will".:eek:oohhh:

Sorry to hear about the grief.:crying:

Regards,
Alan

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ugh going through the same thing now. I put the car back together and it was in limp mode pulling up the peak code #10. Replaced the sensor and its in a better type of limp mode but with code start misfires, 3k rpm limit, and only that code #10 again. I'm hoping the replacement sensor was bad and will install another tomorrow.

One of the teeth was bent on mine and I bent it back. If it was still bent badly enough I would think the car wouldn't start at all as in your case.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just spoke to Dinan.

They want me to pull it out and attempt to bend it back. Since it is cast, I have a feeling it will just snap off. If that is the case, they will pay to have it shipped back to them and repair it no matter what. Go Dinan! I'm glad to see they stand behind their work. I should be able to get it pulled out and fixed sometime this week. Stay tuned.....

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Just spoke to Dinan.

They want me to pull it out and attempt to bend it back. Since it is cast, I have a feeling it will just snap off. If that is the case, they will pay to have it shipped back to them and repair it no matter what. Go Dinan! I'm glad to see they stand behind their work. I should be able to get it pulled out and fixed sometime this week. Stay tuned.....
Kudos to Steve Dinan and the Warranty Staff. 99.9% of ANY vendor wouldnt stand behind their product like this.

Glad for you Brother....So, clutch assemblies by blindfold by now, yes?:M5eyes:

·
Registered
54 Posts
It's probably the bent tooth but i'd also check your flywheel sensor distance to the new flywheel. TIS suggests the need for shims if the sensor isn't an exact distance from the flywheel teeth. I can look it up if you need the distance. When I installed my CNS flywheel I didn't check the distance but it worked so I got lucky.

anyway, hope it gets fixed soon!

cheers

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.