BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks.. tell ya have not been lucky this past month.. did 100K tune up.. then had a
secondary fan failure..
VANOS go on me
wierd errors also.. errors accross multiple cylinders..but that stopped..

after fixin all that and lots of cash..
"BREAK LIGHT FAILURE"

Its rear left..
I think I found the part :
Brake Light(not center) - 7506L clear
can anyone confirm.. and is this easy to replace ?
Im not talented.. but hope I can change a light bulb....

thanks...Matt

·
10,445 Posts
Not sure how it is elsewhere, but my local dealer will replace a bulb, no charge, in the service drive. Even out of warranty, in my experience. If you do have to replace it, it's a snap. There's a little knob on the bulb housing, twist it and it opens and the bulbs are right there.
Mike

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
You can get them from any WalMart or gas station - 21W bulb. If you're unsure take the old one out and compare that in the shop.

Very simple job to replace but one word of warning... always replace them in pairs (left & right at the same time), even if only one is blown.

The reasons for this are:

(1) The bulb failure sensor operates by comparing voltages in the bulbs and two new bulbs will have closer voltages than an old one and a new one, therefore less chance of a false warning

(2) If one side is blown, the other side may be a similar age and about to blow too. Better to kill two birds with one stone and be done with the hassle of changing bulbs. You don't want the second one to go when you need it, like in a rainstorm or on some dark road in the middle of the night.

Don't buy them from your dealer and don't get them to change 'em.. you'll just be throwing your money away :cheers:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine went this morning too - left hand side as well. It's just one finger screw that keeps the plastic holder for the bulbs in place. Undo this and they all come out together. I had a spare bulb in the garage so the whole job took 3 minutes. Would have taken me 20 mins to drive to the dealer.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Try not to touch the new bulb(s) with your bare hands as the natural oils in your skin will shorten the bulb life. Use some soft paper like kleenex to hold the bulb - always good to have kleenex handy when screwing things :hihi:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
must be the season.. took off the housing with an easy twist.. ok..so funny enough I live alone.. which row of bulbs is it ?.. the 2 centre ones that are clear I presume..

Matt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts