BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my M6 convertible. I am following the break-in procedures by keeping the shift setting to S4 or below, speed below 105 mph and RPMs below 6,000. No kickdown or launch control but I am using P500S. A question: I accidentally downshifted a couple of times instead of upshifting, as I was getting used to the paddles, and the RPMs briefly shot way up. Are occasional mistakes like these harmful? Also, I am driving this car while varying the RPMs a lot but keeping them generally higher than my other cars with lower redlines. Is that good or bad? Thanks.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I just got my M6 convertible. I am following the break-in procedures by keeping the shift setting to S4 or below, speed below 105 mph and RPMs below 6,000. No kickdown or launch control but I am using P500S. A question: I accidentally downshifted a couple of times instead of upshifting, as I was getting used to the paddles, and the RPMs briefly shot way up. Are occasional mistakes like these harmful? Also, I am driving this car while varying the RPMs a lot but keeping them generally higher than my other cars with lower redlines. Is that good or bad? Thanks.
I am sure you are fine. I did a much different approach and actually did a "hard break in" where I ran the car thru the RPM range but not for long periods of time. I did this on my E46 M3, E39M5, and all my AMGs plus the 997TT.

Reactions: gable66
1 - 3 of 3 Posts