BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On Tuesday, the clutch (the complete kit), was repleced in my '02 M5 with 17,100 miles on it. The SA told me I should take it easy on the clutch for about 1000 miles, saying I should do no "racing". Yeah, he knows I tracked the car and plan to take it out again in July. Has anyone else been given any guidelines on this. Also it looks like they may have put a remanufactured clutch in. Has anyone had any issues with that? The part # was 21-21-2-282-388.
Thanks!
Anita

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
New clutch

Howdy, Anita!

There IS a break-in procedure for the Self-Adjusting Clutch in our E39 M5s. I remembered Norm (Noka) posting this a while back. Here it is:

http://www.bmwm5.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17964&highlight=breakin+procedure

As for problems with remanufactured clutches, I've had none in the 10K miles since mine was replaced. I'm convinced that they ALL are remanufactured, despite what a Service Manager might say. No problem, tho', since they would replace all the friction surfaces and wear items anyways.

My only lingering concern about my clutch work is that they did nothing with the dual mass flywheel. As I understand it, there are springs in that unit that will, over time and usage, wear. While I did get a new clutch kit, my Beast has never "hooked up" like she did when new--breaking traction is much less frequent now than then.

Of course, I'm running the Pilot Sports now against the OE Dunlops, so I know that grip has increased since then as well.

Bottom line: if I make it to needing another clutch, I will go ahead and get a lightweight flywheel at the same time. Until then, Rock On!!

-Dave

·
Registered
703 Posts
My clutch was replaced about 800 miles ago... I have just been driving carefully, probably have only hit full throttle about two or three times, and certainly no hard shifts. I'm driving it like I'd break in a new car.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just got a new clutch under warranty at 50k miles, and interestingly

1. i got the hint that it was a newer design of clutch following the large number of customer complaints (but sadly no facts to back this up)

2. bmw hq ordered a technician to go out and do 2000 gentle gear changes before giving me the car, which presumably was incredibly boring for him going up the motorway doing 3-4-5-6-5-4-3-4-5-6...etc etc, but also indicative perhaps of bmw's justified worries about this model

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Anita said:
Dave,
How's the fix coming on your M5?
Thanks for asking, Anita! Should be done by next Thursday. Body work completed, just waiting on alignment which must be outsourced since my lowered Beast won't fit on their rig. Repaired and refinished Kinesis wheels are due week after next.

I'm also taking this opportunity to have a few mods installed: StopTech front kit, Dinan rear swaybar, and Rogue tranny mounts. Oh, and on top of that, it's time for my Inspection-II (plugs, trans. and diff. fluids, etc.).

By the time I get the keys back, she should be as good as new!!

-Dave

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Got my car back from Peter Pan on Tuesday, with all the squeaks and rattles and etc. taken care of and everything blissfully quiet and snug. New clutch, so light I could hardly tell it was the same car. Sheet of break-in instructions tucked into the center console.

On Thursday all the electrical in the driver's door stopped working. Took it back into Peter Pan, they got me a loaner on short notice, checked everything out, found nothing loose and no shorts or anything beyond a blown fuse.

I guess I should have RTFM, but it never occurred to me that everything in the door could be on one fuse. So it's home again and all appears to be fine, and if you measure a dealer's service on how they handle the unexpected as well as the routine, they did quite well.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I'm slow in getting back to you.

Greer,
No, I didn't notice any slippage at the track. The only thing I ever noticed was the squeak that occured as I put in the clutch pedal.

Dave,
I'm glad you were make a little lemonade out of those lemons. Let us know how you like your mods.

Anita

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.