BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my quest to get the 1200miles on my new car...

Saturday forecast is for partly cloudy skies cold but no percipitation....

I head up north towards Greenwich and turn around and start coming back to nyc. All of sudden it is white out conditions....I have never driven a beast on icy/snowy roads so I was paralyzed. My temperature readout (outside temp) went from 44 to 34. I figure there is no way this stuff can stick but still a bit scary.

Then today....the ultimate
I take a ride up the merrit and push it a little bit. Sure enough a bright yellow ferrari spider comes flying up my arse. Flashes his lights and sails by me going 120mph+....why why why does this car need such a long breakin period. I know I have used the search function it is a rhetorical question but this is a painful experience.....although worth it in the end.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I took delivery of my 2008 on 2/1 and had my 2100mi service done on 2/8 - It goes quick...

·
Registered
613 Posts
it's kinda like first starting up the m5 in the morning and it hasn't had time to warm up yet and as soon as you hit the road a pcar, ferrari or other really, really nice car comes along and he wants to run, to see what the M5 has and you can't oblige because you're not going to risk any damage to your car.

You made the right call...there will be plenty of other drivers of lesser cars that will feel your wrath!!!! HAHAHAHAAHHAHAH!!!!!! (evil genius laugh)

a0

·
4,354 Posts

I head up north towards Greenwich and turn around and start coming back to nyc. All of sudden it is white out conditions....I have never driven a beast on icy/snowy roads so I was paralyzed. My temperature readout (outside temp) went from 44 to 34. I figure there is no way this stuff can stick but still a bit scary.

I take a ride up the merrit and push it a little bit. Sure enough a bright yellow ferrari spider comes flying up my arse. Flashes his lights and sails by me going 120mph+....why why why does this car need such a long breakin period. I know I have used the search function it is a rhetorical question but this is a painful experience.....although worth it in the end.
LOL, i dunno how far any of those places are from astoria but i know where there's a round-about and you can just drive in circles until you hit 1200miles...if you're on astoria blvd{i dunno the direction, but if st michaels cemetery is on you right you're going the right way} anyway once you pass the cemetery keep left but don't get on the grand central when you're infront of the BVLOVA offices, instead after the entrance{which you dont take} there's a road that goes off to the left, take that and go to the traffic light...now you fallow this road straight, you should pass the small airport, the MTA place where those buses come out off and a hotel, and some HAWAIIAN themed restaurant on the right, so you keep going STRAIGHT! you can't f-it up when you get to the end there'll be a fork stay to the left{before you even make it to the fork you'll see the roundabout to your left when you start going down hill} and there you are...:1:

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Drive it like ya stole it. Just do the 1200 mile service.

I am going thru it again with the M5....ITS KILLING ME!!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
You've enjoyed the car until now. Its painful but great because once you get it back, its like taking delivery of a new experience. Punching to the redline through the 1st 3 gears had me laughing out loud like a giddy schoolboy the first time. I liked it a lot when I took delivery, but I fell in love after the 1200 mi service!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I also think the M5 engine is a bit tighter than the one in my M6. I am not sure why, but the cars are so very different.

Same chasiss, same engine, same tranny, but totaly different cars.

·
Registered
994 Posts
it's kinda like first starting up the m5 in the morning and it hasn't had time to warm up yet and as soon as you hit the road a pcar, ferrari or other really, really nice car comes along and he wants to run, to see what the M5 has and you can't oblige because you're not going to risk any damage to your car.
Has happened to me with a 997 GT3 and 599GTB in the last week. Awfully annoying.

As for break-in, just drive the thing and you'll soon hit 1,200.

·
Registered
288 Posts
be careful out there if you don't have snow tires. once that temp goes below 40 your ps2's and conti's are horrible. but this week looks great to finish up your break-in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
be careful out there if you don't have snow tires. once that temp goes below 40 your ps2's and conti's are horrible. but this week looks great to finish up your break-in.
How true, I'd more aptly describe them as "Hockey Pucks" in those temperatures. My knight rider "Big Wheel" had better traction when I was 4.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Drive it like ya stole it. Just do the 1200 mile service.

I am going thru it again with the M5....ITS KILLING ME!!
Delayed gratification is a ***** even more so the second time around...:hihi:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Break it in like you normally drive it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had my 2008 M5 since Jan 26th, we are now in March and I have only 620 miles on it and I am dying......Seriously, this sucks. I have wasted 2 months of my lease and can't drive this thing properly. Some people tell me it's a lease: stomp it, but i won't do that to a car. Period. They should do a factory run in.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
lol patience my friend patience. Im currently doing something dramatic to my car and i cant wait to get it back and reveal it ouich

·
Registered
427 Posts
Break in period is a myth from what I hear. I have been hammering it since I drove it off the lot with 24 miles on it. It feels stronger than my 06 M5 I had in which the car was babied during the break in. Just my personal take and what was recommended from my BMW tech friend. Only thing he said to be cognoscente of was the 2k mile service. Be on time for that! :wroom:

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
it is 1200 mile or 2000k. Not 2k mile service.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Break in period is a myth from what I hear. I have been hammering it since I drove it off the lot with 24 miles on it. It feels stronger than my 06 M5 I had in which the car was babied during the break in. Just my personal take and what was recommended from my BMW tech friend. Only thing he said to be cognoscente of was the 2k mile service. Be on time for that! :wroom:
Yeah, there is a thread out there about this. Many folks have not performed the break-in as per BMW's instructions and claim they have a stronger running engine over time. The issue comes when something goes wrong and BMW techs notice you didn't adhere to the proper break-in procedures. Then I guess they have ammo to void your warranty.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts

We've all felt your pain. I had a stock WRX harrassing me with only 800 miles on my car. I refused to give in and stomp on it.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
The M5 demands a driver with good self controll, one who understands the importance of proper scuff in of all parts......do yourself a favor, let your Grandmother break it in.

Reactions: drewzMMM and BD 997
1 - 20 of 23 Posts