BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone ~

Just had my clutch replaced 3days ago~~

My friend told me to drive it slow until I press and realese the clutch pedal for about 1000 times ouich otherwise I might damage the flywheel.

Is this ture ??? also Do I need a break in period ????? kind like new break pads????

Thank you for reading and have a nice week ~~~

Ps : about attaching a photo ~ When I am logged in photo show ~ However when I am not logged in photo shows as "X" whats wrong????

Attachments

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Absolutely need a break in period to mate the clutch disc to the flywheel. Do a lot of up and down shifting, 1-2-3-4, 4-3-2-1 for a week or so, or a couple hundred miles........

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5
1,368 Posts
i drive mine easily for about 200 miles.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Absolutely need a break in period to mate the clutch disc to the flywheel. Do a lot of up and down shifting, 1-2-3-4, 4-3-2-1 for a week or so, or a couple hundred miles........

What happens if I just stepped on it on the first day when I replaced the clutch ?? Ofcourse for a short period of time ~

As I do a lot of city driving , I probably have up & down shifted a 500 times ~ 1-2-3-4-5-6-5-4-3-2-1 ~~ but not for a 100miles.

AM I IN TROUBLE ???????????????????????????????????????????????????:eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Stepping on it isn't a problem. Once the clutch is engaged it doesn't matter. Just do not do any hard launches or test the limits of your clutch for a while. I drove like a grandma for a few weeks after doing mine....

......But geez dude, use your brain! Do you REALLY want to go beating on something when you KNOW people talk about a "break in" period? Wouldn't you want to be SURE everything is cool before destroying your hard work?

Wow......

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
What happens if I just stepped on it on the first day?
It would slip under high load, possibly overheat and get glazed over. Are you in that much of a rush to romp on your new clutch?

·
Registered
991 Posts
^^ lol. Agreed with the break-in comments. I can't wait to have a brand new grippy clutch as well (I'm halfway through and install at the moment), but do it right and break it in.

I can't wait more to see the condition of the clutch disk thats in there now!!

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Guess searching isn't working for you? This subject has been covered a zillion times for years here.

BMW did empirical analysis of M5/Z8 clutch replacements to come up with a recommendation to provide customers (and the TSB was promptly ignored by essentially all of the USA dealer network).

Here's the document.

The net is NO high rpm or high power shifts. Shoot for 800-1000 shifts done under low to moderate rpms. Mileage is not any indicator of clutch break-in...only shifts. Do not excessively slip the clutch/heat it up in any way. Treat it with mechanical respect.

Chuck

Reactions: Vector57

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stepping on it isn't a problem. Once the clutch is engaged it doesn't matter. Just do not do any hard launches or test the limits of your clutch for a while. I drove like a grandma for a few weeks after doing mine....

......But geez dude, use your brain! Do you REALLY want to go beating on something when you KNOW people talk about a "break in" period? Wouldn't you want to be SURE everything is cool before destroying your hard work?

Wow......
Thank you all for educating my knowledge. I didnt do any of YOUTUBE burn out launches ~ So I guess I should be OK huh??:biggrin:

It would slip under high load, possibly overheat and get glazed over. Are you in that much of a rush to romp on your new clutch?
I must say when I bought my car it came with a bad clutch and surprisingly it held up pretty good until I experienced "the slip" .

I think I was over exited when I had mine changed~ I should take it easy !!!

^^ lol. Agreed with the break-in comments. I can't wait to have a brand new grippy clutch as well (I'm halfway through and install at the moment), but do it right and break it in.

I can't wait more to see the condition of the clutch disk thats in there now!!
:D you are already looking at one ~~

Guess searching isn't working for you? This subject has been covered a zillion times for years here.

BMW did empirical analysis of M5/Z8 clutch replacements to come up with a recommendation to provide customers (and the TSB was promptly ignored by essentially all of the USA dealer network).

Here's the document.

The net is NO high rpm or high power shifts. Shoot for 800-1000 shifts done under low to moderate rpms. Mileage is not any indicator of clutch break-in...only shifts. Do not excessively slip the clutch/heat it up in any way. Treat it with mechanical respect.

Chuck
Hello Chuck thank you for your indepth answer. I should be more precautious next time before I post any threads~~

I did use the rev up to 6k range but with smooth acceleration. It should be Ok right ????

I will drive like a grandma from tomorrow on!! Thanks. :byebye:

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5
1,368 Posts
What happens if I just stepped on it on the first day when I replaced the clutch ?? Ofcourse for a short period of time ~

As I do a lot of city driving , I probably have up & down shifted a 500 times ~ 1-2-3-4-5-6-5-4-3-2-1 ~~ but not for a 100miles.

AM I IN TROUBLE ???????????????????????????????????????????????????:eek::eek::eek::eek:
One time wont hurt it, your fine...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts