BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My E34 M5 brakes from 100-0 kph in about 23 meters which seems very short after reading about the E39 M5 braking 112-0 kph (70-0 mph) in 46 meters (156 feet) - (http://www.bimmer.org/m5/messages/archive/msgsy2000w18/7038.html)

Can anyone account for the huge difference? The number I have for the E39 M5 seems very strange. Those 12 extra kph I have to stop probably won't take another 23 meters (I'll try from 112 kph and check tomorrow).
Could it be that the E39 was fully loaded?
Since that is probable, does anyone know the braking distance, 100-0 kph, for an unloaded E39 with just the driver in it?

I'd think it would make sense if the E34 M5 brakes are extra potent, since after driving my car for little over a month the one thing I'm most impressed with is its braking ability.

If I ever come by one of those "If you can read this I can slam on my brakes and sue you!"-stickers - in extra large lettering - I'll buy it and stick it to my rear window. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Regarding the brake performance, some of my friends enjoy more performance by changing genuine brakes to brembo system with stainless mesh covered Teflon hose.

Most of those have changed its wheels from 17 inches to 18 or some 19. Then, diameter of brake rotor relatively looks small which gives poor impression. After transplant brembo system looks so cool (not only apperance, performance gets better) which I want to try someday.

Has anybody here tried brembo already?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Are you sure the braking distance was only 23 meters from 100 km/h? The best result of any car so far that I have seen was 35,1 m and that was the Porsche Turbo. If your results are true you must have done something magic with the brakes because I can't believe that such a short distance is even possible to achieve on a normal car. Who did the measuring for you and what brakes do you use?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The distance was just an estimate from comparing it to certain known fixed distances between markers. Unless I was misinformed about the distance between those markers it should be somewhat correct, perhaps +/- 3 meters.
But since I'm interested in the exact result I'm gonna do it more thorough, with real measuring tools, as soon as the weather stops pouring down water over Sweden.

Are you sure about those 35.1 meters for the Porsche? At 100 kph? Because if my memory serves me, a car review program on TV that I saw some weeks ago measured 34 meters for a non-performance sedan (can't remember which car it was, but it wasn't a sports car).

·
Registered
189 Posts
The info that some non-performance sedan had a braking distance of 34 m from 100 km/h really surprised me so I decided to dig up some facts. Here are a couple of links that contain info about braking distances.

The first link has info about M5 and Porsche Turbo. It states that M5's braking distance is 129 feet (39,4 m) and Porsche Turbo's is 116 feet (35,4 m).

The other link has braking distances of several cars, including BMWs. Have a look at it and you will see that a distance of 35 m is an excellent result.

Therefore I am convinced that 23 metres you claim have to be impossible to achieve since your car doesn't have modified brakes. But maybe you're using a parachute to stop the car? That would bring down the numbers by a few metres. :D

Seriously, you must have been informed wrong about the distance between the markers. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your M5. I tried finding the braking distance for the E34 M5 but was unsuccessful. Maybe you will be able to help me out with that info.

http://www.bmwregistry.com/gregh/comparo/
http://www.movit.de/htm/brakinfo.htm

·
Registered
447 Posts
Right now there is a possibility to make it really short. Continental (tire company , if you didn't know) owns a vw golf with some concrpt tires and it stops from 100 kph in 30meters. No bull , some new tire systems are coming , and it's gonna make a real revolution when it goes with braking. Also porche introduced the ceramic brakes in the GT2 , right now they're comparable to the "regular" turbo brakes , but when they'll improve those ceramic brake systems and combine them with new-tech tires even getting around 20-25 meters could be possible , i know that i sounds quite impossible right now , but i think we'll brake the 30m barierr quite soon. I think that 5 years is the max time to do that.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ok, now I'm really interested in finding this thing out. I'll try to get some figures during this week.
Concerning the regular sedan all I remember is that it braked in 34 meters, might have been from 70 kph. Given that the E39 M5 is supposed to brake in 39 meters from 100 kph it's not probable that my car will do it in 23 :), but I swear it didn't feel like a meter longer (like you said, I probably have the wrong distance between those visual markers I used).

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,096 Posts
Latest result in Sport Auto for E39 BMW was 37.5m warm and cold brakes.

Porsche 996 GT2 is down at 33m with warm brakes in a test in Swedish Auto Motor & Sport.

Cheers,
/Johan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts