BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ignoramus of Kent writes: What are the best makes of upgrades for front brakes? (prices too please if avail.) No silly prices please bearing in mind I shall almost certainly not be taking the car out on the track. I would quite like to buy British as I already feel bad about buying foreign cars albeit the dogs nads.

Is it worth it if I am not 'tracking' although I will be using the 'open road!' to best effect?

Pip
Ps What the blazes does lol stand for?:sad1:

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
The best brakes out there are Brembos and stop tech (a relatively new company bbut have proven to be excellent)

Since you wont be tracking your car, then your best options would be front only brakes from either companies.

Brembos 14" 355mm go for $3295 (brembo also offer 15" but you would need the brakes to go with it though)

Stoptech 14" 355mm go for $2595

http://www.zeckhausen.com for more info

·
Registered
400 Posts
Beware of the never ending cycle of spending;

Once you decide to get better tires; you'll need the better brakes, then you'll want the brake ducts. then you'll want the rear brakes, then you'll want the cold air intake, then you'll say; "There is never enough horsepower!"

Then you end up with a real beast!

:)

·
10,445 Posts
If you're not tracking the car, i'd say stock brakes with better pads would do the job fine. Don't you guys have better rotors than us in the US anyway?
Mike

·
10,445 Posts
Michaelc said:
Yes but it is still alarmingly easy to 'cook' them.

I shall be buying a front set of Stop Techs in the very near future. The stock brakes are just awful.
Are your brake ducts open? That should be the firs mod if they're overheating and fading. Along with good pads and fluid. (that said, i do have stoptechs on mine as well)
Mike

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Brembo, Stoptech and AP Racing are all excellent.

Keep in mind that some of the replacement pads cover up the brake wear sensors so these will not work.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yep buy British - AP Racing. Been very happy with them. I don't track my car, but I would still say a BBK is an essential upgrade if you drive the car hard.

Roger

Cost in the UK is about £1800. If you're coming to the London meet on Sunday, you'll see some other options as well.

Roger

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yep buy British - AP Racing. Been very happy with them. I don't track my car, but I would still say a BBK is an essential upgrade if you drive the car hard.

Cost in the UK is about £1800 for the fronts. If you're coming to the London meet on Sunday, you'll see some other options as well.

Roger

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Why?

I can't help myself here. Why are you replacing the OEM brakes if the car is not being used on the track? Perhaps same better pads, but other than that it sounds like wasted money for only marginal improvement. The brakes really are up to the task of hauling down the car from very high speeds without failing. Even on the track they are OK unless you track several times a year. I would think better tires, exhaust, headers, perhaps even CAI would be a better way to go for the money.

That being said, better brakes are better insurance I just don't see the application on the street.

Mark

·
Registered
355 Posts
Re: Why?

MAH said:
I can't help myself here. Why are you replacing the OEM brakes if the car is not being used on the track? Perhaps same better pads, but other than that it sounds like wasted money for only marginal improvement. The brakes really are up to the task of hauling down the car from very high speeds without failing. Even on the track they are OK unless you track several times a year. I would think better tires, exhaust, headers, perhaps even CAI would be a better way to go for the money.

That being said, better brakes are better insurance I just don't see the application on the street.

Mark
Mark, it's a valid question. Two reasons:

1. I had a pretty scary experience on the motorway a few months back, when I was fully loaded with passengers and luggage, and some guy pulls out suddenly when I was at high speed. I honestly felt that the OEM brakes weren't going to save me, and lost a lot of confidence in the car as a result.

2. I was due to go to the Nurburgring with Beastpower and a few other members in the summer, where I would say a BBK is essential. Sadly the trip was cancelled, and I haven't had a chance to go on track yet, but I will be in due course, so at least I am all ready to go when I do get the chance.

At the end of the day, what price safety.......

Roger

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've recently fitted the stoptech (fronts only) BBK and consider it a huge improvement over OEM brakes which tend to turn to jelly following about two hard stomps from high speed,. its well worth the (reasonably priced) upgrade for fade reasons alone as up until now I've always considered the brakes to be the weakest point of the whole car when really pressing on, and its reassuring to know that if anything\one happens to do something stupid- like get in your way at 140+mph, that you can halt proceedings in a fairly efficient manner without too much fuss and without overheating a spongy and now fast fading stock brake pedal..

I could be wrong, but I think most BBK's are also adaptable for use on other cars (say If you sold your M5) with the purchase of new mounting brackets & discs specific to that particular car, say a porsche 911.. so its hardly money down the drain.

Contact Dave from zeckhausen.com for a price, as his experience\testing pretty much convinced me to go that route rather than the front braking bias of AP racing \ brembo options (unless you opt for their 4-wheel setup)

·
Registered
944 Posts
Ive tracked my beast twice this year, once with stock pads, and once with some EBC redstuff pads on new discs. (EBC's were free so thought it worth a try b4 all u EBC critics chime in :blabla: )

-Stock pads fade hideously on the track and ruin the day, and i have also seen fade on the road from high speeds. This was with no brake ducting.

-EBC's on track are ok initially but fade still, until after 2-3 laps, when they go beyond the fading. They are far from good, but i found that even though there is some juddering when hot, they do bite well unlike the stock ones.
This was with the duct mod done and open.

Conclusion is that you cant use the beasts power on track unless this issue is solved. I may rip the EBC's off soon and go for some Pagid blue's or something, and see how i get on then.

I wanted to go for the AP Racing 6 pots, but with the 356mm disc they wont fit stock rims, unless someone can correct me?

cheers
The fox

·
Registered
86 Posts
foxyboym5 said:
Ive tracked my beast twice this year, once with stock pads, and once with some EBC redstuff pads on new discs. (EBC's were free so thought it worth a try b4 all u EBC critics chime in :blabla: )

-Stock pads fade hideously on the track and ruin the day, and i have also seen fade on the road from high speeds. This was with no brake ducting.

-EBC's on track are ok initially but fade still, until after 2-3 laps, when they go beyond the fading. They are far from good, but i found that even though there is some juddering when hot, they do bite well unlike the stock ones.
This was with the duct mod done and open.

Conclusion is that you cant use the beasts power on track unless this issue is solved. I may rip the EBC's off soon and go for some Pagid blue's or something, and see how i get on then.

I wanted to go for the AP Racing 6 pots, but with the 356mm disc they wont fit stock rims, unless someone can correct me?

cheers
The fox
They don't but the 343mm AP kit does.

·
Registered
944 Posts
True, you think there' much difference, after all its only 13mm right. Whats the stock disc size?

·
Registered
86 Posts
foxyboym5 said:
True, you think there' much difference, after all its only 13mm right. Whats the stock disc size?
I can't believe that there is any discernible braking force differential between the two AP kits but I do not claim to be an expert in these matters. :thumbsup:

Doubtless, the Zechmeister will lend his considerable knowledge to the debate.

Stock size (I believe) is 345mm.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts