BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cleaned my car just before Christmas, put it away for three weeks in a garage, came back recently and now have shocking brake shudder. My 'man' has looked closely at the disks....rears have only done 100 miles and decided to remove the disks, clipers etc, clean them and then machine skim the surface to remove any contaminants from the surface.

Anybody else had this problem....the answer is , having washed the car, drive it for a few miles to remove any moisture then store it....what a bloody pain. New disks on the front £136 each and they have only done 4000 miles in the last 12 months!:grrrrr:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Tried using the brakes hard, as in taking car for a blast down a motorway/straight road and repeatedly stopping until they're red hot?

Worked well for me on several cars!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The shudder is so bad that it feels like I am going off into a ditch. The outside 4mm of the nearside front and rear disks need to have the surface cleaned and then hopefully will be OK. Otherwise it will be new disks all round, OUCH!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
That IS bad - sure one of them isn't binding, as happened to me recently, with the symptoms you're describing?

Is one wheel hotter than the other when you get out?

In saying that, it's academic if you're getting them skimmed, but keep an eye on it!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Richard, did your man check the piston's, seems strange that the disc's would do anything other than gather a bit of surface rust.
+ 1 for giving them some hard use if you can find somewhere safe enough to do it.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Richard, did your man check the piston's, seems strange that the disc's would do anything other than gather a bit of surface rust.
+ 1 for giving them some hard use if you can find somewhere safe enough to do it.
+2 Something is sticking somewhere , most likely a piston or pad material on the discs .......

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The wheels are off the car, its on a ramp. The calipers and the pistons are being cleaned, the pads too. The disks however have what look like bruises on them where for three weeks they were next to the pads. Its more than surface rust, you can feel the degredation. I am sure that with a quick spin in the machine shop all will be well. Expect more on Monday!!

Trust me to clean the car just before I went away and did not dry the disks and pads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts