BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody tried these rotors? Viable option?
http://www.frozenrotors.com/Search.bok?category=BMW:M5+(E39)+Rotors
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,482 Posts
canysmc said:
Anybody tried these rotors? Viable option?
http://www.frozenrotors.com/Search.bok?category=BMW:M5+(E39)+Rotors
Voodoo, in my opinion.

Show me a double blind test that demonstrates any sort of benefit to cryo-tempering rotors and I might change my mind. But so far, all I've seen are testimonials from race teams who get all their stuff free from this company. I'm not convinced. And a sample size of one does not constitute a valid test.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
DZeckhausen said:
Voodoo, in my opinion.

Show me a double blind test that demonstrates any sort of benefit to cryo-tempering rotors and I might change my mind. But so far, all I've seen are testimonials from race teams who get all their stuff free from this company. I'm not convinced. And a sample size of one does not constitute a valid test.
Dave I put a set on a 93 911 RS for a guy that does some part time racing and he seems to be happy with them. He bought them and paid me to install them. That was the first time I came across cryo-tempering rotors. I thought it was an interesting technique to harden rotors. But I'm no authority on the subject.


Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,482 Posts
hudson said:
Dave I put a set on a 93 911 RS for a guy that does some part time racing and he seems to be happy with them. He bought them and paid me to install them. That was the first time I came across cryo-tempering rotors. I thought it was an interesting technique to harden rotors. But I'm no authority on the subject.
He's happy with them because they do what better than his previous rotors? And if he did notice some sort of difference in some aspect of performance, what else was changed at the same time?

The claim on the web sites is that cryo-tempered rotors last two to three times longer and that they resist cracking, warping, and fading. (see the web site at: http://www.frozenrotors.com/frozenrotors.shtml for the exact wording.) Next time you change your customer's rotors, try installing a cryo-tempered rotor on one side and a plain rotor on the other side and DO NOT TELL YOUR CUSTOMER. Then, when it's time to change rotors, measure the thickness of both. Ask him for feedback from his track events. See if he experienced a strong pull in the direction of the cryo-rotor after X laps at the track when the other side faded. When all is said and done, I think you'll find no measurable difference between the left and right side rotors and you won't find one side cracking any sooner than the other. Cryo-tempering of rotors does not stand up to scientific scrutiny.

Rotors don't fade. Pads fade and brake fluid boils. There's nothing about the process of cryo-tempering that should affect pad fade or fluid fade. How can it? Rotors shed heat three ways. By radiation, convection, and conduction. Radiation is a function of surface area and the temperature difference between the rotors and the ambient air. How does cryo-tempering change that? It doesn't increase the surface area. What about convection? Cryo-tempering does not improve airflow through the rotor. And it certainly doesn't encourage faster conduction of heat into the wheel bearings, which would be a bad thing anyway. So how does it reduce fade? I assert that this is a false marketing claim.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
DZeckhausen said:
He's happy with them because they do what better than his previous rotors? And if he did notice some sort of difference in some aspect of performance, what else was changed at the same time?
Your absolutely correct Dave, the rotors where so warped that you could barely drive it around the block. He should have notice a hugh improvement. He has raced it for a couple of years since the installation with no complaints, but what you say is very logical. When he has a problem again I'll suggest that he upgrade to a brembo kit.

Thanks
Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
Interesting comments as this race shop in Atlanta, Hypersport, has recommended to me to use these cryo rotors for track use on my M5. They say the usable life is longer than non cryo rotors. These guys were using them on their Lotus race cars, but I will have to find out if they are using them on their new Infinity powered GT Prototype. Also, I will find out if these are freebies they are using or if they are actually buying them. I will also see if they have any solid data from their race program that leads them to believe cryo's are better.
TripleD
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top