BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at a new M3 this am and noticed that they have the "euro" floating rotors. I looked like the new M5 had them too. Wonder why BMW supplies them on the new north american M cars but didn't on the e39 M cars.:dunno:

·
Registered
723 Posts
I also feel a bit slighted by this.

Good news is that you can get them from Turner and others for a decent price.

I use the E46 floating euro rotors on my E36 track car, and they are awesome.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I think that when floating rotors first came out, there wasn't enough field use to know how durable they would be in the long run, and BMW was fearful of lawsuits. Now that they have a proven record of durability, I'm guessing they figure they need to have these cool parts to help with marketing/sales. All AMG cars have cool looking cross-drilled rotors, but I still can't find any for e39s and thus have rotor envy!

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Don't feel bad! Even though they last a bit longer then the normal 1-piece discs, the floating ones are still cr*p! Have two e46 CSL (F&R) systems and 1 e60 M5 front system laying in the garage as scrap metal. The currently fitted Mov'it systems outlast and outbrakes the stock setup by an unbelievable margin!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
the reason benz and bmw are useing cross drilled rotors is to reduce weight

·
10,456 Posts
so are the rotors on the new m3 and m5 actually floating, or just cross drilled?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are the floating style with the pins like the M5 euro's.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
so are the rotors on the new m3 and m5 actually floating, or just cross drilled?
I think floating from what I recall seeing of the e60 M5 the last time I looked at one at a car show. I know that the e46 M3 cross-drilled OEM rotors have the floating pins, so I would think the newer cars do, too.

I seem to recall Dave Z saying that the e46 M3 rears fit e39 M5 rears, and if so, you can have floating cross-drilled in the back at least.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep the rear floating crossed drilled M3 rotors are the same.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Hey, looky here! Found a pic of an e60 M5 wheel and tire, with the floating, cross-drilled rotor peeking out from behind, clearly showing the pins that make it a floating one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts