BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from OEM US Spec and Euro floating rotors, what other options do I have on the M5? I'm not sure what US Spec ones cost, but I saw some prices at TMS for Euro floating rotors and 1000 for a set front/rear is just way more then I want to spend.

Are there any other options that are more similar to US Spec rotor prices but a different product that I should consider and why?

·
Registered
776 Posts
I also have been seeking rotors. The Euro floating rotors sound nice but are a little high priced. I have also checked out designrt.net and they offered EOM with cross drilling for about $300 a pair.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
NEVER EVER NEVER EVER buy OEM disks that have been drilled...thats asking for problems and in a worst case situation, blowing out a side of the car.

Slotted disks are the best as they offer a cooling advantage over a solid disk but at the same time they have much higher structural integrity as you are not putting holes in the faces of the disk.

Slotted's dont get the respect that they should as people would rather look at drilled rotors.

The OEMs, the Euros and Bav Auto has some Ultimate Rotors for the m5 as well...

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
My post got lost in a browser mishap last night.... links and all.

Do a search for 'rotor replacement' or 'floating' , etc, etc...

Generally dumping $ into a rotor alone buys you zip. The concensus (as I've picked up over the years) is that you change pads, change fluid, improve cooling, upgrade calipers/pads/rotors... in that order.

Slots and holes do not improve cooling, but they do reduce thermal mass, and reduce brake swept area- the latter two reduce performance. What they DO provide is a release of surface gases that can cause fade at high temp/aggressive use. I suppose they look cool... but for me, Form follows function.

I've you've got race suspension, race calipers and pads, then go with race rotors... otherwise you're posing.

Adam

PS I am NOT the same place where Rob is... :) (Although once he changes his signature this will make no sense..)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Rob is the other titty free and if so where are you EXACTLY geographically? :1:

If drilled are so bad why do I see so many Porsches with drilled rotors? Surely they are not all just poseurs??

Pip

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Pip said:
If drilled are so bad why do I see so many Porsches with drilled rotors? Surely they are not all just poseurs??

Pip
If you upgrade pads and maybe swept area, then the loss of thermal mass and swept area are fine tradeoffs for the ability to release trapped surface gas.

Just adding drilled rotors is of dubious benefit, unless the brakes are already well sized for a racing applciation.

Drilling should be done during mfg, and prior to final heat quenching/treatment. Yoy need to stress relieve the material after it is drilled.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Rob I love how you turned that PM into your signature, I wonder how many people you are making mad:nono: , I love it, Josh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts