BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

Hopefully not posting a dumb question.....being my first M5 and deciding not to buy parts in Australia ($2500) I am starting to get a bit overloaded with info and more importantly should I stick with euro floating alloy discs at around $1100 USD inc pads via Parts Container or alternatively Kevin from R1 Concepts had offered a set of their Premier (non euro)drilled and slotted or just slotted inc pads and sensors for around $720 USD inc freight. He has proven to be very helpful so far. I also followed a link to ECS Tuning who are offering drilled and slotted in geomet finish kits for around $720 plus freight which is around $310.

A friend of mine said drilled and slotted on his Z car were a bit noisy....

Your thoughts and experience with US suppliers/products would be greatly appreciated

Shane

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I picked up slotted rotors from rockauto for around $500 they are made by stoptech and sold under their centric brand.

now that I think about it that might have included pads as well.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I purchased my Centric rotors (front- non-slotted undrilled) from tirerack for $120 ea. Do you, or are you planning to track the car? If you are not, the drilled or slotted rotors are more expensive with the only tangible benefit being eye candy.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I dont see the point of drill unless you like the looks, slotted if you like the track. I'd go with blanks. Check out Rock auto, I found the preferred centrics for about $200 all 4 corners.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I picked up one of the "kits" from ECS with their drilled and slotted rotors and Hawk pads end of last year when it was on sale. Installed about a month ago, love em so far. Next time they go on sale I'll buy another set just have have on the shelf for when it's time to do brakes on the beast again.

And as AGM5 said, they are eye candy more than anything.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
spot on advice so far.

Drilled rotors- for STOCK brakes- are totally poseur.

Slots are fine, you MAY get some marginal benefit if you are abusung the brakes, but the window- between 'when slots help' and 'when the brakes fail from total overheating' will be small. IMO

I know the power of peer pressure is strong. :)

Centric/stoptech make fine rotors. I have them up front on the BBK(slotted not drilled) and matching slots on the rear stock rotors.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I bought my front rotors for 80 ea. Textar brand (OEM rotors).

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have owned a lot of cars and have used Centric rotors on most of them. I am a big fan of their rotors-nice castings, machining, balancing, and coatings. My M5 has new centric high carbon alloy rotors front and rear and stoptech street pads, sourced from Rockauto. I don't believe in drilled or slotted on a car w/ stock type brakes.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Another benefit of slotted rotors is in the rain they bite much faster. This last winter I took a long road trip and it was cold and rainy. After cruising on the highway for several minutes without using the brakes, they took a long time to bite when I actually needed them. I had to keep braking unnecessarily periodically just to keep the rain off and some heat in the stock pads.

I also noticed this when I put slotted rotors on a couple of other cars.

Crossed drilled rotors will do the same thing, but shouldn't be taken on the track, per Zeckhausen, because they can crack. It's hilarious to me that new Ferrari's, Mercedes AMG's, and I believe some BMW's come from the factory with Cross drilled rotors to make them look "sportier," which is actually the opposite of "sportier." I admit that I've bought into the marketing, I think they look [email protected]@$$.

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
+1

On track the drilled will develop crack, seen it myself. They are nice for street not road racing. Slotted do clean the pad deposit off, I had them on my supra and they do make sense.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts