BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 E60 M5, I do some fast road/ track driving.
I've noticed the standard pads go soft after hard braking,
I already have braided lines & 5.1 fluid, what pads are good and easy to find/buy in the uk?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have recently fitted EBC Red Stuff on the back and plan to replace the fronts with the same when they are due.

Added bonus of reduced brake dust too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I got them from Demon Tweeks.

The EBC website lists loads of places to get them from.

I have only just put them on and the car is off the road at the moment (throttle actuators) so I don't really know how they feel. I wouldn't think I would be able to tell anyway as they are on the back.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I also track my M5. After my first track day with it, I realised the standard brakes fade badly, so I upgraded to the EBC yellow pads and bled the brake system with Castrol SRF Racing fluid. They improved, but I still experienced some fade when driven hard. In the end, I upgraded to PB 380mm front discs and 8-pot calipers. Just this month, I stood on these all day at the Nurburgring without any issue, braking is fantastic now.

I guess the requirement for an aftermarket brake kit all depends on how hard you drive the car. Personally, I want the brakes to last all day without worrying about performance issues, especially on track, so that's why I ended up changing them out. The stock brakes do work well, but not for sustained track use.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've used my M3 for trackdays & used Ferodo ds2500 which never gave me any problems,
I've seen the boys & girls in the US with Ferodo 300h but I'm having difficulties finding in the UK,
Also can anyone help with full part no for the Ferodo race pads for my M5.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
A friend of mine who has EBC reds on his Mini doesn't like them. I let him drive my car and he prefers my Carbotech 1521 pads. I wouldn't limit your pad choice what is available locally since many retailers can ship internationally. There is a lot of great pad choices out there available for our cars. I would recommend Carbotech (Carbotech Performance Brakes) they have many compounds to choose from. I'm sure you will find one that fits your needs.

I also track my M5. After my first track day with it, I realised the standard brakes fade badly, so I upgraded to the EBC yellow pads and bled the brake system with Castrol SRF Racing fluid. They improved, but I still experienced some fade when driven hard. In the end, I upgraded to PB 380mm front discs and 8-pot calipers. Just this month, I stood on these all day at the Nurburgring without any issue, braking is fantastic now.

I guess the requirement for an aftermarket brake kit all depends on how hard you drive the car. Personally, I want the brakes to last all day without worrying about performance issues, especially on track, so that's why I ended up changing them out. The stock brakes do work well, but not for sustained track use.
Do you have a link to the front big brake kit you purchased?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Main reason i am looks for pads locally is because I only have 3 weeks before my trip to the Nurburgring.
I wouldn't use ebc red stuff pads as there to soft for my driving style, it would only be ebc yellow stuff or the new blue stuff.
I don't really rate Ebc pads to highly but there easy to get, cheap & just about do the job hence I'm looking around for other makes that I can get hold of in time.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Main reason i am looks for pads locally is because I only have 3 weeks before my trip to the Nurburgring.
I wouldn't use ebc red stuff pads as there to soft for my driving style, it would only be ebc yellow stuff or the new blue stuff.
I don't really rate Ebc pads to highly but there easy to get, cheap & just about do the job hence I'm looking around for other makes that I can get hold of in time.

Thanks
Ah I see. Do they sell Pagid pads in your area? I've heard those are good track pads also. Apparently they were developed for the E60 M5 ring taxi when it was in use on there. I remember a board member here who used them and had good reviews. Said it was pricey, but a great pad.

Quick link to a U.S. retailer for reference.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-404-pagid-trackrace-brake-pads-yellow-rs19-front-e60-m5-e63-m6.aspx

·
Registered
3,940 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
There RS19 but sold
I know it was just for reference lol. Thats why I asked if you could find them locally or in Europe.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yes, not cheap. That's what made me decide on upgrading the brakes altogether, I didn't want to take the risk of still not being happy with them after spending that money on the Pagids. The EBC yellows were 250 as it was.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts