BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just checked the pads in prep for my trip to the Ring on Friday - I wondered if any of you had any recommendations for aftermarket fast road pads? Be nice to install a set and take the existing set as a spare (theyre not that old) - or are the BMW ones sufficent?

Cheers
Paul
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
4,273 Posts
toxicfrog said:
Hi All,

Just checked the pads in prep for my trip to the Ring on Friday - I wondered if any of you had any recommendations for aftermarket fast road pads? Be nice to install a set and take the existing set as a spare (theyre not that old) - or are the BMW ones sufficent?

Cheers
Paul
Paul
Has yours got the floating brakes & 4 pot calipers ?
If so then all should be well & pads are not so much an issue as the huge rotors dissipate heat better anyway.

If you have the single pot sliding caliper of the earlier models then I would dump the std pads & get some Pagid pads or similar & maybe a change to synthetic brake fluid (dot5) which has a higher boil point.

Depends how you are going to drive really but BMW pads are quite soft generally.

I would check all the exhaust hangers especially at the rear & replace if perished.

Tape up your fog lights at the ring. I have lost a couple there so I always tape now.

I run tyre pressures at 39 to 41 frt & 43-45 on the rear.(My preference)

In addition I take :-

5 spare litres of engine oil & a bottle of CHF11 S hydraulic levelling fluid.

I spare coil pack module & 6 spark plugs. (I know it sounds daft)

Have a great time & take it real easy for the those initial laps.

Farrell
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Farrel,

My car is a '95 M5 Touring with the larger brake setup. I'll stick with the BMW pads then.

Rumour has it the local BMW garage to the 'Ring keep healthy stocks of E30/E34/E36 M car parts due to their popularity on the 'Ring!

I will ofcourse be taking plenty of oil, and the car has just been MOT'd and Rolling Roaded, so I hope that everything is OK......

Plenty of pictures coming!

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
Infinicar said:
Rumour has it the local BMW garage to the 'Ring keep healthy stocks of E30/E34/E36 M car parts due to their popularity on the 'Ring!
Paul

They do, but it's not very close to the 'Ring, the nearest car Parts counter is Köln Neiderlassung, around a 45 minute drive north of Adenau.

Probably worth the journey when you consider that the reception desk is staffed by two Anna Kournikova lookalikes.... ;)
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
4,273 Posts
AndyE said:
Paul

They do, but it's not very close to the 'Ring, the nearest car Parts counter is Köln Neiderlassung, around a 45 minute drive north of Adenau.

Probably worth the journey when you consider that the reception desk is staffed by two Anna Kournikova lookalikes.... ;)
Andy
You beat me to it. I could not remember a dealer right nr the circuit.
I thought it was at least 50kms away from memory.
I like the sound of the Pournikova twins though.... :p

Seriously though, going on parts treasure hunt while you are out there is not a great idea.

Enjoy...

Farrell
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Thanks, atleast I know where it is now.

I took my Clio Williams last time and theres a small Renault dealer quite close to the circuit.....

Ordered new pads/discs today £220 - will take them with me :D

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,431 Posts
I'm using Silkolene Pro-R (15w50)- about £20 for 5 litres.
Mobil 1 is available at Costco for about £25 - but I prefer the colour (red) of the Pro-R.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
Infinicar said:
Another quickie for you guys, what oil do you recommend?

I used Magnatec 10W40 at the last service........

Paul
Something slightly thicker wouldn't hurt if you're going to be at the Ring in July, the oil's going to get *HOT*!

Perhaps 15W50? I think M-five uses that viscosity in Silkolene.
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
4,273 Posts
Infinicar said:
Another quickie for you guys, what oil do you recommend?

I used Magnatec 10W40 at the last service........

Paul
Nothing wrong with that choice imho. Anything 10w & above is good.
Thinner oils than this dont work with my engine anyway. I use 8 litres of 10w40 for every 6k when oil is changed regardless.

Farrell
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
OK I think I will leave it in as I only changed it a couple of weeks ago.

Will take plenty of spare oil :D

Thanks for all your help guys, great forum.

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,872 Posts
Infinicar said:
OK I think I will leave it in as I only changed it a couple of weeks ago.

Will take plenty of spare oil :D

Thanks for all your help guys, great forum.

Paul
I echo that these are all the question I was going to ask I want to go to the ring soon, definetly this year.

I think the checklist is a good idea too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
They have just done the diagnostic check on the car and there is nothing wrong with it at all. There were a couple of minor faults stored concerning the airbag and alarm - they were cleared and have not re-occured after test drive.

I also picked up the new brake parts, and a new coolant temp sensor which Im going to change anyway, because of the amount of people that have told me they go faulty.

So, after having it MOT'd, emissions checked (twice), rolling roaded and a BMW diagnostic check done we're ready for the trip........

Ill take plenty of pics....and once again thanks for all your help.

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Post up lots of pics for us USA guys!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,872 Posts
farrell said:
Maybe Simonal is referring to the post I made about fluids ,hangers ,fogs & tyre pressures.

Could be wrong.

Farrell
Sorry to be late but yes that was what I was refering too some things are obvious but others are extermerly useful.

Thanks
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top