BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate suggestions for brake pads that would be suitable for track use. Do those of you who track your cars fit track pads for track days and then refit the street pads or do you simply replace the stock pads permanently with higher performance pads that are better for track use but still suitable for the street?

·
Registered
457 Posts
MRichmond said:
I would appreciate suggestions for brake pads that would be suitable for track use. Do those of you who track your cars fit track pads for track days and then refit the street pads or do you simply replace the stock pads permanently with higher performance pads that are better for track use but still suitable for the street?
Turner has some Pagid pads that are ideal for the track. They are too aggressive for street use, so you will need to change them out when you are done. However, you can use the aggressiveness to your advantage after a track session to remove the material set down or “bedded” onto the rotor by the Pagid pads. Just drive home “carefully” and then re-install your street pads. The Pagid pads will act as a grinder and the rotors will be nice and clean. Don’t forget to bed the street pads again though.

With the pad change, you will also want to use a high quality synthetic brake fluid like Motul, Castrol or Ate. In many ways, this is more important than the pad switch.

:hihihi:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I would put in a call to Dave Zeckhausen - seems to be the resident expert on brakes on the M5's. He's a board sponsor, I got a great price on everything from him and outstanding service.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cerberos said:
Turner has some Pagid pads that are ideal for the track. They are too aggressive for street use, so you will need to change them out when y9u are done. However, you can use the aggressiveness to your advantage after a track session to remove the material set down or “bedded” onto the rotor by the Pagid pads. Just drive home “carefully” and then re-install your street pads. The Pagid pads will act as a grinder and the rotors will be nice and clean. Don’t forget to bed the street pads again though.

With the pad change, you will also want to use a high quality synthetic brake fluid like Motul, Castrol or Ate. In many ways, this is more important than the pad switch.

Thanks, that's very helpful. What is involved in changing brake pads and should someone like me who is not at all mechanically inclined do it?

·
Registered
457 Posts
MRichmond said:
Thanks, that's very helpful. What is involved in changing brake pads and should someone like me who is not at all mechanically inclined do it?
Changing brake pads on an M5 is not difficult at all. It is a bit intimidating the first time, but after a couple of exchanges, it can be done fairly quickly. Changing the brake fluid is also fairly simple, but to do it right requires two people. I’m not a fan of the various self-bleeding brake tools on the market in that they can leave small bubbles in the system. And, when you are working on a car of the M5’s capabilities, that’s not an acceptable risk.

I’ll will take some pictures the next time I change out my pads and compile “how to” post. In the meantime, as TiSiBeast suggested, take a look at Zeckhausen’s website for a lot of great information on high performance brakes.

Given the extensive race knowledge on this Board, I bet someone else has already put together a post on how to change brake pads.... anyone?

·
Registered
182 Posts
changing brake pads is easy, call your local aftermarket install center and set up an appt., you did say you are not mechanically inclined right? me neither so that is what i do. i am going to install my own ACS floormats soon though, HA! since bmw was out of them, can you believe that? have a great day, murph

·
Registered
3,176 Posts

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Cerberos said:
Turner has some Pagid pads that are ideal for the track. They are too aggressive for street use, so you will need to change them out when you are done. However, you can use the aggressiveness to your advantage after a track session to remove the material set down or “bedded” onto the rotor by the Pagid pads. Just drive home “carefully” and then re-install your street pads. The Pagid pads will act as a grinder and the rotors will be nice and clean. Don’t forget to bed the street pads again though.

Read question and answer for no. 5

And this is what Will Turner had to say

·
Registered
146 Posts
Cerberos said:
I’ll will take some pictures the next time I change out my pads and compile “how to” post.
This would be very useful. I watched my installer do it a few days ago however didn't pay enough attention for me to do it myself now.

I've been changing my pads and fluid before/after each track event and would like to be able to do it myself.

Maybe somebody can also do a 'how to' post on the brake fluid flush/bleed?

·
Registered
769 Posts
I will try the Cool Carbon pads next season. I've only heard good things about them and they produce less dust than the stock pads too. Check them out.

Edit: and they do not need to be changed for street driving. They have as good initial bite as stock pads, just more durable for high temps.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Resurrecting a 6+ year-old thread must be a record. Pagid RS19 pads were my choice for the track. As with most things, dual purpose street/track applications don't work that well for either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts