BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys , I wanna change the brake pads front and rear , after the research online , I've read that the M5 Brake pads and same as 540I and X5 and 740I as well .. is it correct , I mean it could be different part # but I mean does it fit ???

Thanks for your help

:cheers:

·
Registered
238 Posts
ehssan_alkhiyami said:
Guys , I wanna change the brake pads front and rear , after the research online , I've read that the M5 Brake pads and same as 540I and X5 and 740I as well .. is it correct , I mean it could be different part # but I mean does it fit ???

Thanks for your help

:cheers:
HI,

you cold fit the 740 pads but am not sure of the others.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hi:

Welcome to the board...if there is no reason to change the pads, rebed them. See Dave Z's website (Zeckhausen) This can help substantially.

I would strongly encourage you to use on pads intended for the M5. I doubt others would fit anyway. Stopping is important. These are the BMW original pad & wear sensor PN's.

BMW Pads Front: 34 11 2 282 165
BMW Wear Sensor Front: 34 35 2 229 018

BMW Pads Rear: 34 21 6 761 248
BMW Wear Sensor Rear: 34 35 1 163 066

Good Luck

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I need to change them , the car was parked for 4 months and everyday they were cleanning it and throwing water on the disc's and the rims .. even the rotors need to pulish , it's not smooth ... I'm sorry guys I'm not really so technical that's why I don't know what they call it ...

so what I can understand from you guys that the 7 series and 5 series Brake pads will fit the M5 ???

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hi:

I do not know if the 5's or 7 series pads will fit. The numbers shown are the parts called for from the BMW ETK (part catalog). These are the pads that came on the car when it was new.

I suggest using these pads, or aftermarket pads designed for the M5, not a standard 5 or 7 series.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
ehssan_alkhiyami said:
so what I can understand from you guys that the 7 series and 5 series Brake pads will fit the M5 ???
Why wouldn't you just buy the M5 pads for your M5??

The part numbers listed two posts above are OK for US spec M5s.

The front pads listed come up for US only. This means that a 7 series pad is differnet- or a different part number. Would you really trust an internet board to tell you "Sure, it will work"?

The rear pads look like they are common to M5 and 7 series, X5 (E38, E39, E46, E52, E53)

Is your car US spec or Europe?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
acutally it was just an idea , I was just wondering if 540 , 740 , x5 and m5 has the same brake pads , offcourse I'll get the M5 ones for sure ,

My car is a Gulf Specs , not european or US Specs . it's something belongs to the middle east .. but I think there is no different .

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
ard said:
Why wouldn't you just buy the M5 pads for your M5??
If you're going to buy OE pads, then by all means, buy the ones intended for the M5.

If, on the other hand, you're going with an aftermarket option, then it is important to know that the M5 pad shape (and most importantly the pad's backing plate) is the same as the E38 7er and X5's and 8ers...

When going by the ETK alone, it can get really confusing b/c BMW uses different pad compounds (and therefore different p/n's) for the different applications.

If you decide you want to go with Mintex Red Box or Axxis Deluxe Plus for their low-dust for same friction performance properties, then knowing your pads are the "same" as a 7er or X5 will help. Those vehicles are far more prevalent than the E39 M5, so cross-referencing is more likely to make sense using those models.

Back in the early days of E39 M5 ownership, you wouldn't believe how difficult it was to find out who made an aftermarket rear pad for our beloved Beasties. That may have been the very issue that allowed Google to lead me to this forum--an oasis of information (and vortex for discretionary funds)--every day since!!

-Dave

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
ehssan

M5 brake discs and pads costs DHS9000! Unbeleivable!

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I need to change them , the car was parked for 4 months and everyday they were cleanning it and throwing water on the disc's and the rims .. even the rotors need to pulish , it's not smooth ...
The brake discs are made of steel, not stainless steel, just steel. When you throw water on them and let it sit, they will show surface rust. It is this rust gives you a less than smooth feel to the brakes. But I can almost guarantee you that this will go away after a few stops and the brakes will feel smooth again. All this, without changing pads or rotors. There is no need to change them if all that's happened is that they've been exposed to water and the pad and rotor thickness is otherwise fine. I strongly suggest you try this before you spend on new brakes. When I wash my car and let it sit, the same thing happens but they smooth out after just a few blocks of stop and go driving.

·
Registered
238 Posts
hi again,
ehssan the 740's pads will fit but as they said u better buy the ones intended for the M5.Thats for your own safety.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
ehssan_alkhiyami said:
, offcourse I'll get the M5 ones for sure ,

Whew, had us worried there for a while..

:)

Ditto the prior comment abouut the rotors- they can look REALLY bad and rusted. Run it for a while with the old pads, scrub off the surface rust, then maybe replace the pads...

Good luck

A

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
ehssan_alkhiyami said:
acutally it was just an idea , I was just wondering if 540 , 740 , x5 and m5 has the same brake pads , offcourse I'll get the M5 ones for sure ,

My car is a Gulf Specs , not european or US Specs . it's something belongs to the middle east .. but I think there is no different .
The EXACT same front pad used on E39 540i also fits E39 M5, assuming you do not have the crazy floating-type rotors. Certain rear pads found on X5 SUV and other 7er stuff fits the rear of an E39 M5. The 540i pads are different.

A single pad sometimes fits two different brake system designs, even when the rotors are different diameters!! Designers do this on purpose to simplify parts inventory. It effectively helps the consumer because fewer pad designs means more pads of each type, so they will more likely be stocked. For example, a standard 12" and Heavy Duty 13" factory rotor system found on a Corvette C4 and the 13" Mustang Cobra setups use identical pads. The OEM mfr for these three setups was PBR.

OEM-spec pad compounds can vary by car model, even though the pads are physically the same shape. This is because, for example, a 740i is optimized for low squeal, low pedal effort and excellent cold panic stop braking. The M5 may have a more aggressive pad compound to withstand more heat, so you need to stick with it to maintain front to rear balance. If you are buying aftermarket performance pads, the same pad will be listed for 540i and M5 & it's important to upgrade both ends of the car or consult with Zeckhausen or some expert before mixmatching pads. You don't want one axle doing all the braking work.

Just follow the brake mfr fitment charts and order what's specified for M5. They do not lie.

·
Registered
837 Posts
What did you end up doing, new pads, after markets pads, or just drive the car and burn the rust off, Josh

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I polished the rotors little bit at the garage , and put a new brake pads original for 540I , acutally the technicion advice me to use it if I'm driving the car on a low speed up to 160 KM , I don't drive fast at all , I bought M5 because I like it as a car not to drive a high speed al the time ,.,. but now the brakes are great , smooth and respnding very well ..

·
Registered
837 Posts
glad to hear everything worked out, Josh

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks buddy , acutally all the people asked me to drive the car for a few days and everything will be OK , but I didn't wanna wait more than that ,, and the brake pads were 50% life .... so it was a chance to solve it out from the root ..

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
ehssan_alkhiyami said:
I polished the rotors little bit at the garage , and put a new brake pads original for 540I , acutally the technicion advice me to use it if I'm driving the car on a low speed up to 160 KM , I don't drive fast at all , I bought M5 because I like it as a car not to drive a high speed al the time ,.,. but now the brakes are great , smooth and respnding very well ..
The 540i front pads are the same shape as the M5 front pads. But, as someone else already pointed out, the 540i rear pads are a different shape than the M5 rear pads. They may fit in your rear calipers, but they won't fit properly.

Here in the USA, we have an organization called the Friction Materials Standards Institute (FMSI) that publishes a book each year with descriptions and diagrams of every pad on cars available in this country.

The FMSI designation for the 540i and M5 front pads is D681. This is also the same shape used on the front of an X5 3.0 and 4.4 and the E38 740i.

The FMSI designation for the rear of the 540i is D692-1. It's the same shape as the rear pads in the E46 3-Series (except 330i), but it uses a larger piston clip on the inboard pad. The FMSI designation for the rear M5 pad is D683, which is also used on the X5, E46 M3 & 330i, and E38 7-Series.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts