BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

101 - 120 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
John - have you looked at oem? I have oem on my floaters purchased through BMA for about US$200 (from memory).

Also, there is the option of blue pagids - a small run was made about 18months ago and some may still be left. I purchased a pair but they seem to have been lost in transit, so I never received them. Do a search here to find the details.

More expensive than oem, but about the best road/track compromise pad you can buy.

Cheers

·
Registered
186 Posts
Reg, the pads that you have listed for the 345mm rotor appear to be the wrong sort, they should be approx 99.3 x 74 x 18mm, I beleive that the 121 x 71 x 17mm pads are incorrectly listed in the Ferodo catalog, see the end of post #1 in this thread for more details.
Thanks John. The first version of this table had another problem with some other pad. Will take another look.

Regards,

Reg

·
Registered
481 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
ADDING ENTRIES TO THIS TABLE

Hi all.

Thanks for your contribution John. Giving me info in this form, makes it really easy to add the new info to the table.

Tonight I'll do that. It's 9:30AM on work day (Friday !) right now.

If anyone else has info for this table, please give me the following info.
At least one of these
the caliper Part Number (if you know it)
the original Pad Part Number for that caliper (if you know it)
the pad dimensions (if you know it)
either the car model, year & month OR the VIN BUT ONLY IF the caliper and rotors are standard.

Both of these
the Manufacturer of the Pad you want to include
the Part Number of the Pad you want to include

If I get this then I'll add any info provided and repost.

In future, there'll be line with version info for the table.

Regards,

Reg.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hi Reg
The Ate are heaviest followed by the Brembos irrc.

Cheers
I weighed the ATE calipers today, and they come in at 6kg each, they are bloody heavy. By the end of the week, I will also weigh the OEM 345mm rotors, as well as the OEM single pot calipers and slightly worn 315mm OEM rotors that are currently on my car so that we can see how much of an increase in unsprung weight there is by going to the bigger brakes.

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
I reckon you got the calipers then John? Splendid!

The 345ers indeed are quite heavy, even by taking them in the hand I can clearly feel that the 356er AP's are quite a lot lighter.

The ATE's indeed weighed in at some 13kg for the package I sent you IIRC, the Brembo 6-pots I have now are 4,6 kilo's a piece

·
Registered
186 Posts
Where's the DARN TABLE Reg ?

I'm still working on the table. :rolleyes:

It's grown quite a bit based on resources I've found through this thread.:typing:

A little more patience & it'll be done.

Reg.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hmmmm..... Looks like my first suspicion was correct.... ;)

The EBC pad looks alot like the Ferodo FCP 857:
http://www.elcome.co.uk/fmecat/fsp/CarSpecs.asp?pn=FCP857

I am aware that the measurements are not 100% identical...

The Ferodo FCP 578 is completely different:
http://www.elcome.co.uk/fmecat/fsp/CarSpecs.asp?pn=FCP578

So, who knows for sure? Who tried them?
So witch one's are right for the rear on M5 big brakes? This thread is getting too messy to find anything usefull info..

Do need new ferodo pads for rear!

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
JFYI
I've had a batch run of front & rear pads made for all front & rear caliper variants of E34 M5 in a
a Endurance compound that gives good bite from cold above 32F but is also used for endurance racers.
There are several members using these pads & have been track tested in Europe & UK @ Bedford Autodrome.

As long as new or skimmed discs are used & the strict bedding in routine is followed, the pads are very effective & durable.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Thanks...

The bumping of this thread has just reminded me I've got some big brakes to pay for.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The next version of the BRAKE table.

Here is the next version of the BRAKE table.

BENDIX, FERODO & PAGID pads are a problem because the part numbers for these manufacturers seem to change as the country / continent changes.

Any way, good luck !

There's probably more to do.

I'll publish the web resources I used to build this. Nearly all the resources I used came from this thread.

Probably one of the most useful web sites was
www.roadhouse.es.
Kalevera posted this site in post #23.

These sites were also very helpful
http://www.elcome.co.uk/fmecat
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/automotive.html catalogues and spreadsheets at the bottom of the page.

Regards,

Reg

Attachments

·
Registered
481 Posts
Yay! Brakes got fitted today! At last.

I've taken it for a bit of a drive. As expected, the pedal was very spongey to start with but has started to firm up as the pads get bedded in, should be OK by tomorrow. Brakes certainly seem to have a lot more bite to them than before.

Here's a pic of the new 345mm rotors:

Here's a shot of the original front brakes (single pot calipers and 315mm rotors)

And here's a shot of the new setup:

I'm doing an advanced driver course at Sandown tomorrow, i'll let you know how they go!

BTW, I weighed the new calipers and rotors, the calipers are 6kg each, and the rotors are a massive 8kg each, so I have 14kg of unsprung weight on each front wheel in the calipers and rotors alone! I will weigh the originals next week.

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
very nice john

Were you able to use the small parts included in the package? They can make such a difference

·
Registered
481 Posts
I finally picked up my original calipers/rotors from SouthernBM today and weighed them. The original calipers were 6kg each (ie, the same weight as the ATE 4 pot calipers) and my worn original 315mm rotors weighed in at a hefty 8.5kg each, compared to 8kg each for the brand new 345mm rotors. So the net result is that by going to the big brake setup, i've actually reduced the unsprung weight on my front wheels, which is the opposite of what I was expecting.

I took the car to Sandown on Saturday for a trackday, and the new brakes certainly enabled me to brake much later, but I had the OEM textar pads smoking like crazy after 3 or 4 laps, so time to go hunting for some decent pads.

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello!
This is my first post here and I hope you guys can help me. I recently bought myself a pair of e32 4-pot calipers. Now i'm in the process of refurbishing them. My question is, where can i get a rebuild kit for these? From what I read it should be the same as for the 4-pot M5 ones. Looking for the sealings and, but not nececeraly, the pistons. Preferably in europe, but any tips are appreciated.

Regards, Anton.

101 - 120 of 169 Posts