BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
I may be confused. The guy I bought them new from had a 7 series 740 he was putting them on. That was the e32. They may have come from an e31 however I havent seen an e31 that has these calipers on them.

These are stamped Brembo on the back. They are 4 pots. They bolted right on. I am also using the Porterfield Rotors and Pads. They are the Rotors from the 850. The rears are the ATE Calipers that came on the 540 / M5. I am just using the Porterfield Rotors and Pads there. I bought the kit from a guy whose car was lost in Katrina.

It included the bearings; Sensors; Rotors; Pads; Calipers; Backing Plates; Rotor hold bolts; and Brakleen! All new Parts. I got them all for $1,800 from the Roadfly classifieds.

I track the car and the car stops really well - and the heat issues have totally gone away. I am using the Stock Master Cylinder. My most amusing moment was at my last track event where a Porsche followed my waaaay deep into the corner before braking and tried to use the same brake marker I did. I braked, downshifted, apexed and rolled out - only to look in my rear view mirror to see the Porsche bail and take the escape road. Talked to him later - he said he was going waaaay too fast and couldn't slow for the turn like I did. - JT

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just noticed that on my e32 pads and rotors that the pads slightly go over the rotor. Maybe the ferodo pad is perfect for the e32 750 calipers.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?p=243537#post243537

GoneAgain said:
Update on the Ferodo pads.

Picked up a full set of DS2500s for 150quid from circuit supplies.

However the fronts (FCP646H) are about 1cm shallower than original.
They fit the caliper no problem and the pistons do not overlap the bottom of the pad. But just how less effective will they be. i figure they will still be better than OEM! Will have them fitted before ring trip.

The rears (FCP578H) are spot on.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Pagid Blues Unavailable for 4 pot caliper

Tried CA Automotive, they said Pagid don't make them for the big brakes. That's a bit of a bugger, as that's what i wanted to put on.
So, what pads should be going in then? Ferodo DS2500?

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Tried CA Automotive, they said Pagid don't make them for the big brakes. That's a bit of a bugger, as that's what i wanted to put on.
So, what pads should be going in then? Ferodo DS2500?

Cheers

Mark
Try Demon Tweeks before you give up - they might be more expensive, but you're only asking for availability after all.

I'm finding (albeit on all 4 wheels and on the 3.6) the DS2500 to be less inspiring than the DS2000. I'm sure they'd come into their own on a track, but I've done some quick country road blats and not felt they've been up to much - although this could be due to having puny brakes now :haha:

Unfortunately the DS3000 needs a 'lot' of heat for best performance and the DS2000 creates a lot of dust, but the DS2500 seems to produce a lot of dust, and take a good bit of heating up - plus they squeal.

Personally, I'd use two sets (they're quick to change on the big brakes anyway) - DS3000/2500 on track and swap out for DS2000 on road).

·
Registered
85 Posts
No luck with Demon Tweeks either. He did say that if i could send him the pad shape he could contact Pagid and ask, but by the time that's all done it will be too long a wait.
It's mainly for road use, with a trip to the 'ring in May, so i think i'll just have to go for the DS2500, they can't produce any more dust than the standard pads!!
Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
EBC Reds are pretty good. I have some on my car and the dust is minimal and the stopping power is much improved over standard pads. EBC have raised their game recently!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Mark, I was going to suggest mintex per ecm4's recommendation - http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55597
but whilst reading his post's I found that more recent threads suggest, as Richard does, ebc reds or yellow's.
If you're going to try Demon Tweeks, it might be worth asking if carbone industrie produce a pad for the 4 pot calipers - they produce a sintered metal pad for fast road and track, which sounded quite interesting in their catalogue.

Cheers.

btw, more than happy to price up any o.e. stuff you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Pagid Blues have recently been made for the big brakes (about 12-18 months ago). I can't recall exact details, but there was a special order completed by a crowd somewhere near the 'Ring and an offer was made on this site.

This offer was taken up by a number of members here who now have them fitted to their cars.

Do a search for 'pagid blues' and I am sure details will emerge.

Good luck.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Either the guys i've spoken to are a bit useless, or not many people know that the E34 M5 came with a 4 piston caliper :1zhelp:
CA Automotive were very helpful, but they said they didn't know anybody who made an aftermarket pad for the big brakes :confused:, however my Rogue Engineering transmission mounts will be here Thursday :biggrinbounce:. I very nearly got offered a deal on the Rogue quickshift kit, but again it won't fit the 6-speed box.
Demon Tweeks were not quite as helpful, seemed to want me off the phone rather quickly, but i think that might have been down the fact is was nearly 5pm and they wanted home. I'll try them again today and see what they can suggest. They didn't list the M5 as having Ferodo pads available, so it's rather narrowing my options. Might just go for the EBC Red stuff and see what they are like.
Quick question relating to that. Is it worth skimming the discs before putting the new pads in?

Mark, I was going to suggest mintex per ecm4's recommendation - http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55597
but whilst reading his post's I found that more recent threads suggest, as Richard does, ebc reds or yellow's.
If you're going to try Demon Tweeks, it might be worth asking if carbone industrie produce a pad for the 4 pot calipers - they produce a sintered metal pad for fast road and track, which sounded quite interesting in their catalogue.

Cheers.

btw, more than happy to price up any o.e. stuff you are looking for.
If it's ok i'll drop you a mail near the end of the week, i'm building up a bit of a parts list at the moment, and i need to speak to the garage when i pick the car up later this week about a couple of things. Might be a bit of a long list though!

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
678 Posts
I've got some Blue Pagids I bought a couple of years ago from Kons.

I'm fitting the last set (I bought multiples) to my car tonight, along with some new front discs - I'll take some pictures beforehand and hopefully there may be some part numbers on them.

Does this mean they're no longer available for the 'Big Brake' 343mm rotor-ed cars from 1995 ?

TK.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Here's the Blue Pagids going on the front of my 'Big Brake' '95 //M5 tomorrow along with new front discs.............

Are these still available ? - anybody know ? - this is the 2nd set of 2 sets I bought in mid-2006.

These weren't cheap (in fact quite the opposite), but they do the job.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Pagid Blues for the 4pots were made by Pagid as a (pre-paid) special order of 50 sets for Werner, a friend and formerly very active member of the german board. Unfortunately the best people in life are the ones to go first, and Werner lost the ongoing fight against cancer on December 31st of 2007.

There are a few sets of blues left, and when stock runs out it may be possible to have another batch made depending on the number of takers.

You can PM member Konstantin if you want them. I'll be at the RingHQ this sunday so will ask how many are left and what the price is.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not good to hear of a members passing :sad1:

I've ordered a set of EBC Red Stuff pads instead as i'm unsure how long the wait will be, or if there are actually any left. If however there is sufficent interest in ordering a new batch i'm happy to put my name down for a set if they become available

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
505 Posts
M5 Brake Talk

Allrighty,

So the time is coming fast for me to change my front pads and rotors. I am curious to know if there are any upgrades that can be done at this time short of a BBK.

I believe I have heard of 850CSI rotors being used because they are several milimeters bigger. Is that true? Do I need new calipers because of that??

I will probably be using Hawk HP+ Pads, and the rotors will definitely be slotted(maybe drilled).

Anyway, I am just looking for anything I don't know about this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Don't know about the 850csi disc/rotor size, but you wouldn't want to drill/slot them post-production as you'll just introduce stress points that will cause cracks.

If you're going aftermarket then ensure the drilling/slotting is done during casting/forging as this'll mean there will be no additional stress around the holes/slots.

The easiest upgrade would be to go to the 3.8 big brakes (343mm floating set-up). However you'd need to look out for a 2nd hand set to rebuild or pay BMW about the same as you'd get a Brembo/AP kit for anyway.

I'm an AP fanboy, but over here, the kit I'd like is £2300 ($4500?) plus fitting.

·
Registered
505 Posts
To fit the 3.8 stuff, what do I need it? Is it just the rotors and pads?

Or do I need the calipers, hub, etc?

41 - 60 of 169 Posts