BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Hi Tobias,

Looks promising. It's been hard to nail down a pn for these.
I'll have them in my hands early Jan, so we'll have a definite answer then!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
More bits of information, courtesy of google on the WVA number. According to this site, http://www.roadhouse.es/catalogo/catalogo_pastillas.php?ref=2378.00&pos=D, these are all the same:

<table style="font-size: 8pt;" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="filacabecera"><td>
</td> </tr> <tr class="filasombreada"> <td>LP908</td> <td>AP LOOKEED</td> </tr> <tr class="filanormal"> <td>13.0460-4057.2</td> <td>ATE-TEVES</td> </tr> <tr class="filasombreada"> <td>571842</td> <td>BENDIX</td> </tr> <tr class="filanormal"> <td>0 986 424 032</td> <td>BOSCH</td> </tr> <tr class="filasombreada"> <td>FDB914</td> <td>FERODO</td> </tr> <tr class="filanormal"> <td>BL1055F6</td> <td>FTE</td> </tr> <tr class="filasombreada"> <td>GDB1161</td> <td>LUCAS-TRW</td> </tr> <tr class="filanormal"> <td>2030917904</td> <td>TEXTAR</td></tr></tbody> </table>

I wonder if AP rebadges the Ferodo pad with its part number or if the leading number on this list is something completely different? best, whit

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I'm sure one of our beloved mods will step up to the task, as I can't enter that post anymore! Would be nice if corrected!

GoneAgain said:
Update lads.

Been talking to Tim at circuitsupplies.com, very helpful guy.

Ferodo DS2500 pad is part number FCP646H.

Stevie, do you think it's a reasonable idea to edit your first post to include all the correct part numbers?

·
Registered
686 Posts
I've just removed my Brembo calipers from the Bi-Turbo after a failed experiment and thought I'd share my findings here in case anyone was considering something similar.

Looking for cheaper ongoing maintenance, Bi-Turbo discs are €290 each, I decided to fit the 4-Pot Brembo calipers/324mm discs from the 840 with DS2500 pads. I ran the car for 2000kms with this setup but was never really happy with the pedal travel nor feel.

I replaced the master cylinder, checked the rear discs were not out of shape (piston kick back etc) and had the brake fluid changed and bled twice by MJF then by Phil Crouch. A pump of the brakes returned the pedal to the top indicating air in the system but it wasn't this. The conclusion is that these calipers are not matched to the E34 and will always have a spongey pedal with long travel.

I've just had Phil replace the original Bi-Turbo calipers with new discs and Mercedes S600 pads and the transformation is very good indeed. Hard pedal at the top of the travel.

So if you guys are thinking of spending upwards of £700 on BMW conversion parts, don't bother as it probably won't work. What's worse, I've just laid out to return to original spec and now have to ebay the other stuff ouich

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Excuse my ignorance , but the 840 calipers are not the same as the 750 calipers right?
Member AndyV8 has the E31 calipers which look a bit like the E38 calipers in finish and shape, and nothing like the E32/E34 items

What I don't seem to understand, is that some people are not happy with the 750 brakes, although the caliper is EXACTLY the same build as the 1995 6 speed floating caliper which everybody seems to love. Only difference is the radius of the mounting bolts in order to fit the 345mm disc. Rebuild kit etc is all the same.

Does sheer rotor size change the feel of brakes? I think not.

Also, are the BT brakes the same as the B10 V8 brakes> because if they are not, which I think, the V8 uses 750 calipers IF that is whats originally fitted to V8's as I only have Lowplainsdrifter's car as an example.

Stock BT brakes are Lucas items?

·
Registered
686 Posts
There are several different types of caliper for the 8 series. The ones I bought are the black powder coated Brembo 4 pot calipers (I'll look for the part numbers and post later), which are not the same as the 750. Sometimes you can see them with a white BMW transfer on the outer casing. They use the 324x30mm disc and as far as I know, were not fitted to any other BMW model.

The Alpina Bi-Turbo Calipers are cast iron 4-pots made specifically for Alpina by Lucas Girling and have ALPINA cast into them.

The discs are one piece 332x32 and again, special to Alpina.

The brakes always suffered at the Ring - got too hot and retained the heat being cast iron. I changed to pads from the Mercedes S600, which worked better and were £80 from Mercedes, but still had trouble due to worn discs.

With discs at €290 each (Alpina pads are nearly €300) I went looking for a cheaper route, thinking that with a master cylinder of the same size (same for M5, BT, 840, 750 etc) I'd be ok. In hindsight I should have explored piston bore sizes and required travel etc but didn't, and suffered with a very soggy pedal and longer travel.

Having changed back to the original Alpina setup with new discs the difference is amazing. Instant pedal and very strong braking indeed. I should have put new discs on in the first place.

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Hi Wout

I think there maybe some confusion ......... I know I am?

One thing I do know is that the 850Csi Callipers and Discs are the same as the later E34 M5 ie. 345mm x 32. They also carry the ///M logo.

I'm pretty sure the 750 doesn't carry the same brake set up in any form?

Sebring NL said:
Excuse my ignorance , but the 840 calipers are not the same as the 750 calipers right?

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
The 840 ones look completely different, they are smooth regarding surface, and like Dave says, some of them have the 'new style' BMW lettering ( like you see on receipts / ads even now) written on it.

They look the same as the E38 4-pots ( which fit in no way to our cars BTW)

There are sooo many different calipers being thrown on a big pile here, that its easy to lose track.

The E31 ones will fit E34.
The E31 CSI ones are the same as floater E34 M5
The E31 840 Brembo resemble the E38 ones (that don't fit!), fit the E34, but different from:
The E32 750iLs ones, which fit the E34 obviously, have the same components as the floater calipers yet carry smaller rotors ( 324 over 345mm).

It appears that there are other brakes for the E34:

1) the brakes used on BT's, Lucas/ Girling cast iron
2) the brakes used on B10 V8 E34's, which are the same as 750 ones if I am correct in my observation.

Mother of all brakes and end of bitching:

Mov'it big reds!:hihi:

·
Registered
14 Posts
DaveW said:
I've just removed my Brembo calipers from the Bi-Turbo after a failed experiment and thought I'd share my findings here in case anyone was considering something similar.

Looking for cheaper ongoing maintenance, Bi-Turbo discs are €290 each, I decided to fit the 4-Pot Brembo calipers/324mm discs from the 840 with DS2500 pads. I ran the car for 2000kms with this setup but was never really happy with the pedal travel nor feel.

I replaced the master cylinder, checked the rear discs were not out of shape (piston kick back etc) and had the brake fluid changed and bled twice by MJF then by Phil Crouch. A pump of the brakes returned the pedal to the top indicating air in the system but it wasn't this. The conclusion is that these calipers are not matched to the E34 and will always have a spongey pedal with long travel.

I've just had Phil replace the original Bi-Turbo calipers with new discs and Mercedes S600 pads and the transformation is very good indeed. Hard pedal at the top of the travel.

So if you guys are thinking of spending upwards of £700 on BMW conversion parts, don't bother as it probably won't work. What's worse, I've just laid out to return to original spec and now have to ebay the other stuff ouich

Cheers,

Dave.
I've change my origin setup to 840 Brembo Caliper and I'm happy about this, fading isn't no more my problem ;)

<O:p</O:pThe pedal feeling was stronger like with origin Brakes especially when you must brake from high speed down but I must change my brake practice, not full stay on brake pedal till stop but make short full brakes – if possible of course ;)
<O:p</O:p
The other advantage was the temperature of my Brake discs, at the last our visit on the NS we have with Dennis drive in this same time exactly in same tempo - really slowly( any in his own car , my 540V8 and Dennis with Alpina B10 ) and after them we measured our Disc temperature and this was a big different my only 80°C and from Dennis 270°C
<O:p</O:p
Maybe Kons can be comment feeling of my Brakes – hi make one Roundtrip with my Car and try to drive in the same style like his own M5 :)

Andy

·
Registered
110 Posts
Mintex

Anyone had any experiences with Mintex as these have been recomended I thought as long as they perform as good as OEM but without the mess and my everyday driving and one third of OEM cost or are they cheap and nasty.
anyone any thoughts or other recommendations welcome cheers Steve

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Update on the Ferodo pads.

Picked up a full set of DS2500s for 150quid from circuit supplies.

However the fronts (FCP646H) are about 1cm shallower than original.
They fit the caliper no problem and the pistons do not overlap the bottom of the pad. But just how less effective will they be. i figure they will still be better than OEM! Will have them fitted before ring trip.

The rears (FCP578H) are spot on.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Johntee540 said:
I am running the e32 Brembos on the Front and the 540 calipers on the rears. - JT
My E32 4 pots are ATE.

I thought the Brembos were E31 (also E38?). Do you use an adapter to mount them?

21 - 40 of 169 Posts