BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Member GoneAgain was right, the pads are the SAME! BMW uses two different partnumbers, but I think that is because each uses a different friction material, Textar 4056 on the M5 & CSi vs. Textar 476 on the 750i.

Dimensions: 99.3 x 57.7 x 18mm

Above pics show the Pagid RS42 pad supplied by the e34 Heritage Center compared to the Ate 4-pot e32 caliper and it's OEM T476 pad.

Browsing the web this, the universal WVA 20309 number and the now known applications show some interesting availabilities:

-Ferodo lists no applications for the '95 M5, but does show DS2500 for the 850CSi of which we all know is the same.
-EBC lists RedStuff (DP3886C) pads for all above applications, but also DP31032C pads, which according to their catalog are 121x71x17mm. It seems to me those will not fit these applications, but are correct for the Brembo 4-pots used on 840i/Ci that also use the 324x30 discs. (Hawk also has 3 compounds for the Brembo calipers using their HB-181 number)

Shortlist of available performance pads so far for Ate 4-pot calipers:

Pagid RS42 (made to special order by batch, PM member Konstantin for availability)
Ferodo DS2500: frt pad is part number FCP646H(rear FDS 857)
EBC RedStuff: DP 3886C (rear DP3871C)

Anyone know of others?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I take it that these pads work well with the standard disc? Also with the disc being a floating type?!

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
These pads will work much better than the Textar chocolate poppadoms BMW sell.
The std pads are an organic based compound.
The other pads have a carbon / kevlar binding that makes them more resitant to chunking & delamination.

The floating discs are good items but will eventually succumb to repeated hard use.
You can extend lifespan by respecting your brakes & cooling them.

The biggest mistakes that can be made with aftermarket pads is to slap them in after using conventional pads on the same disc.
The discs will have traces of debris from the oe pads that will affect the new pads face & destroy the breaking in process by causing local hot & cold spots on the clamp face of the pad.
The disc should be skimmed or degreased, then buffed with a scotchbrite bar to remove contamination.

Its just prep work but it needs to be considered.

Farrell

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
If they are recommended by the E34 Testing Center at the Nürburgring Meuspath, I'll take their judgement any day..

I need those pads...Need the rotors first though....Kidney, anyone?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Another pad is the TWR/Lucas part number GDB1161. They are for the e32 4 piston calipers. Does anyone know where I can purchase a spare piston for ATE calipers?. I'm trying to rebuild some e32 4 piston brakes and I need a new piston because it has pit marks in it. I'm pretty sure carbonpanther (in the USA) can sell these types of pads also. Thats what I was reading over on bimmerforums a while ago.

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Sebring NL said:
If they are recommended by the E34 Testing Center at the Nürburgring Meuspath, I'll take their judgement any day..

Same here .....if I were to upgrade the pads on the LE , I would renew the discs at the same time .......

I think I'll see how late TK is braking at Bedford later this month ( as he has fitted this lot ) before deciding .

Great thread Stevie.......the more time I spend on this forum , the emptier my pockets feel ...

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Good work Stevie.

But Im pretty sure that ferodo number is wrong. 95% sure I ordered those when the calipers were fitted, but had to send them back. they are off the single piston caliper on the 750iL.

T

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Sebring NL said:

Still need the calipers don't you??:blink:

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
GoneAgain said:
Still need the calipers don't you??:blink:
Yes..Can't hardly sleep about it!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Stevie said:
Pagid RS42 (made to special order by batch, PM member Konstantin for availability)
Ferodo DS 2500: FDS 856 (rear FDS 857)
EBC RedStuff: DP 3886C (rear DP3871C)

Anyone know of others?
As Terry already said: FDS856/857 are for the single pot calipers (156.50 x 69.60 x 18.50 mm for 840i/850i and old Maserati ;) ).
I found FCP1298 to be the correct shape, but they seem too big ?! (119.80 x 54.60 x 18.00 mm) - but those pads are also listed for the 850?!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Chewbacca said:
As Terry already said: FDS856/857 are for the single pot calipers (156.50 x 69.60 x 18.50 mm for 840i/850i and old Maserati ;) ).
I found FCP1298 to be the correct shape, but they seem too big ?! (119.80 x 54.60 x 18.00 mm) - but those pads are also listed for the 850?!

I have spent much time searching the Ferodo numbers.......no luck yet?

I emailed the contact DaveW posted in another thread , but haven't heard back.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chewbacca said:
That size is correct for the Brembo 4-pots used on some regular e31 with 324x30 discs......

Will try to find a different Ferodo number for the fronts. Can I assume 857 for the rear is correct? 4 different manufacturers all state identical pads for 850CSi and regular e31.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Stevie said:
That size is correct for the Brembo 4-pots used on some regular e31 with 324x30 discs......

Will try to find a different Ferodo number for the fronts. Can I assume 857 for the rear is correct? 4 different manufacturers all state identical pads for 850CSi and regular e31.....
FDS857 are listed with 123.00 x 54.80 x 17.00 mm, I'll have to look back home if I still got some old pads to cross-check.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Had a couple of emails from Tim at http://circuitsupplies.com/.

The price for the DS2500 pads is £84.10 plus VAT, which seems pretty good to me. So I've ordered a set. He's checking availability wth the factory. But he hasn't given me the part number yet.

He also said that

part numbers starting "FDS" refers to Ferodo "DS
Performance" pads. These are a fast road pad only, and made within the confines
of a regulation called R90.This states that these pads are, amongst other
things, within plus/minus 15% performance of the OE pad for that particular
vehicle.

DS2500 on the other hand, is outside the scope of R90, and is approx 40% better
than OE pads. It is designed for "track day" use.

DS2500 should not be used on road cars, registered from 2000 onwards.

The exceptions to this, is where it is used in a brake upgrade,IE DS2500 is
supplied in all AP Racing "Formula" brake kits, as AP have found it to be the
best pad, for this application.</pre>

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Update lads.

Been talking to Tim at circuitsupplies.com, very helpful guy.

Ferodo DS2500 pad is part number FCP646H.
Price is £98.82 inc VAT and UK delivery.
he doesn't normally stock them but he does get a delivery from the factory almost every week.

Also he can get DS3000 compound for 92.50 + VAT and delivery. but these may take some time as they would be special order.

T

Stevie, do you think it's a reasonable idea to edit your first post to include all the correct part numbers?

1 - 20 of 169 Posts