BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I had a set of new stock rotors (front) and pads installed at all four corners and I'm getting a fair amount of brake noise at slow speeds...I broke them in properly (75-100 miles) before applying medium brake pressure but I'm still getting the noise...The noise is best described as a medium pitched hum (not a high pitched squeal) that gets fairly loud when slowing from around 20mph to 0...Any ideas?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sonds to me like you did not bed the pads properly. Waiting 75-100 miles before you apply medium brake pressure is not the way to bed in pads.

You need to bring the brakes up to temprature in this way. 5-6 medium applications from 30 MPH, not full pressure. Then some hard applications from about 60 MPH, again 5-6. This is full braking pressure. You need to get them good and hot. You should "smell" the brakes working at this point. Now allow them to cool for about 15-20 minutes. I do this by driving around and not using the brakes. This ensures good pad material distribution on the rotors.

Read this as well. http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Best,

Jordan

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! What I meant by medium brake pressure is applying the brakes with medium pressure from around 25mph to a stop not from 60+...By doing this could the pads still not be bedded properly? I'm kinda confused since from the moment I got the brakes installed they've been sounding like friggin' fog horns...

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
by not being aggressive with the pads and rotors and since they have a high metal content in them you have glazed the pads more than likely and hence the noise you are getting is a more metal to metal sound...

Bedding pads properly is key to low noise on street pads, increased life and better braking performance.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
****! I hope that's not the case since I was taking the tech's advice on light braking for the first 75-100 miles...Is there anything I can do now aside from having the pads replaced? **** noise is friggin embarrassing! Thanks again for all the advice :cheers:

·
Registered
837 Posts
You should look on Dave Z's site he has a how to on how to bed new pads, it worked well for me, just click on the lick for Zeckhausen racing and navigate their site for the write up, it should help, Josh

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah that site was linked above and had great info! Thanks again jordantii :7: Now, I'm just curious if anything can be done or do I need to have the pads replaced again?

·
Registered
159 Posts
BGKBCK said:
Yeah that site was linked above and had great info! Thanks again jordantii :7: Now, I'm just curious if anything can be done or do I need to have the pads replaced again?
You should be able to keep your existing pads. Go out and bed them in like Dave says, it should cure your problem.
Boz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.