BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a bunch of threads on brake upgrades/problems, etc., but none really fully answered my questions...so here goes:

I just bought a 2000 M5 (50K miles) and I knew I'd need to replace the front brakes soon...well it's time. I spoke with a BMW shop (Fall Line in Northbrook, IL) that specializes in BMWs, Dinan and other aftermarket mods and the guy recommended I stick with the stock pads for now since I don't drive it too hard and won't be doing any autocrossing anytime soon.

Q1: Does everyone agree with that? If I'm not braking too hard, is it worth the extra $$$ to upgrade to so other brake pad?

Q2: The guy I spoke to said that M5s typically change out the rotors when the pads are changed. This shocked the hell out of me, but maybe it's true. Comments anyone? If so, this makes changing brakes a very costly thing. Other cars I've owned and raced needed the rotors swapped out after every 2-3 pad changes!

Q3: What should I expect to pay for:
Pad replacement only in the fronts with stock pads?
Pad replacement in the fronts and backs with stock pads?
Pad and rotor replacement only in the fronts with stock pads and rotors?

Thanks in advance for you help!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Generally, the rotors are replaced with the pads. Just took my '01 M5 in to the dealer for an oil service. My SA calls me up, tells me that the rear brake pads and rotors need to be replaced. Don't have exact cost, but close to $1K parts and labor. I also had to replace my front pads and rotors about a year ago. Fortunately, that was still covered under the service warranty, or I might have opted to pop the extra $$ for a big brake kit. While the stock brakes and pads are fine for even aggressive street driving, the big brake rotors look SO cool.

Wilkie

·
Registered
56 Posts
i to have an 00 and just had the pads and rotors changed. bmw does recommend changing the the rotors with the pads. however i did change the pads myself but i went with the hawk pads and had bmw put the rotors on($780), i like the hawk and the green stuff pads b/c not only are they better but a lot less brake dust.oh the dealership wouldn't put the upgraded pads on, but they did after i all ready had them on.:M5launch:
bpautsch said:
I've seen a bunch of threads on brake upgrades/problems, etc., but none really fully answered my questions...so here goes:

I just bought a 2000 M5 (50K miles) and I knew I'd need to replace the front brakes soon...well it's time. I spoke with a BMW shop (Fall Line in Northbrook, IL) that specializes in BMWs, Dinan and other aftermarket mods and the guy recommended I stick with the stock pads for now since I don't drive it too hard and won't be doing any autocrossing anytime soon.

Q1: Does everyone agree with that? If I'm not braking too hard, is it worth the extra $$$ to upgrade to so other brake pad?

Q2: The guy I spoke to said that M5s typically change out the rotors when the pads are changed. This shocked the hell out of me, but maybe it's true. Comments anyone? If so, this makes changing brakes a very costly thing. Other cars I've owned and raced needed the rotors swapped out after every 2-3 pad changes!

Q3: What should I expect to pay for:
Pad replacement only in the fronts with stock pads?
Pad replacement in the fronts and backs with stock pads?
Pad and rotor replacement only in the fronts with stock pads and rotors?

Thanks in advance for you help!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
My M5 is a daily driver. No autoX. An occasional 1/4 mile drag. I'm putting on the stock Euro floating rotors with Axxis pads up front. Stock setup in the rear. It's a budget setup and should be all I need.

·
Registered
240 Posts
bpautsch:

I've heard that the pads for M5's are the same size as the 540/740 BMW's, but I don't think they are the same compositon, or part #. The rotors are the major cost of a brake job on our cars, costing about $250 each vs. $50-70 for a 540/740. If anyone has more info on this, please chime in.

Eric

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
s62fan said:
I've heard that the pads for M5's are the same size as the 540/740 BMW's, but I don't think they are the same compositon, or part #. The rotors are the major cost of a brake job on our cars, costing about $250 each vs. $50-70 for a 540/740. If anyone has more info on this, please chime in.
That's correct, Eric. If you buy an aftermarket pad (where composition relative to OE is moot), you will find that the aftermarket pad part no's are the same for 540/740 BMWs. This was true when I used Mintex street and track products (Red Box and C-Tech), and now with AXXIS Deluxe Plus pads. BTW, I've bought aftermarket pads for all four corners for roughly ~$100.

While BMW does recommend rotor changes concurrent with pad changes, I've found it's not always necessary. I bought a 1.3" disc micrometer and I check the thickness against the minimum spec (stamped on the rotor hat).

OE rotors are the only option for non-BBK cars, and I believe I've seen the Euro-spec two-piece jobs discount priced close to our US-spec solid jobbies. I bought mine from Pacific BMW.

-Dave

·
Registered
428 Posts
Has anyone tried the Cross-Drilled or Slotted rotors that Bavarian Auto is selling for E39 M5s. I have been told that they are supplied by various OEM vendors (Brembo, Zimmerman, etc.) and then drilled or slotted.......$590 a pair.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Joe Lapicki said:
Has anyone tried the Cross-Drilled or Slotted rotors that Bavarian Auto is selling for E39 M5s. I have been told that they are supplied by various OEM vendors (Brembo, Zimmerman, etc.) and then drilled or slotted.......$590 a pair.
I as well would like to know, I added eye candy of the cross drilled would be nice, Josh

·
Registered
661 Posts
My rule of thumb in regard to rotor change is if the rotor is not visible work. I just change them on every other pad change. It always worked for me. Can't believe in the dealer on this one, since there is a conflic of interest.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I recently replaced my rotors and pads on all 4 corners. Got the rotors from Pacific BMW

Front Rotors: $193.25/each
Rear Rotors: $183.00/each
Brake wear sensor: $10.92/each

Euro floating rotors were interesting, but could not justify the price difference for a consumable item.

Purchased stoptech lines and Axxis Ultimate pads from Dave Z.

Works for me!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see a lot of people buying from Pacific BMW. Are they www.pacificbmw.com? Are their prices the best? Also, I've seen the Euro floating rotors mentioned a few times but have never seen them? Anyone know where a picture of them is? What's the cost difference and is it just for looks or better performance? Newbie questions...humor me.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
It is NOT necessary to replace your rotors when you replace pads! Replace the rotors when they wear out. Dealer recommendations necessarily come with a built-in conflict of interest.

I have tried a few different pads - I really like the Axxis Deluxe - good street pads, moderately better performance than stock and far less dust.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts