BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have had 'Check brakelights' come up on the dash a coupleof times but they both seem to be working.

Is this just a glitch or possible dodgy connection? It is bloody annoying either way. :3:

Any ideas ........anyone.....anyone (ala Ferris Buelers[? spelling] Day Off).

Pip

·
Registered
109 Posts
Unfortunately, I have the same message popping up. It appears to be the third brake light that is faulty in my case. I have yet to take it to the dealer, so I am unable to help you further. Sorry.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TFC, thankyou for that. I got a friend of mine to check it - 22 year old female whilst I pressed the pedal so I suspect she did not even look at the central one and I certainly did not think to ask her about that one.

I shall check it next time I am home.

Pip

·
Registered
977 Posts
Mine just did this. It was the 3'rd light. I thought it was the bulb, even though the filament looked fine, but same problem.

So I went into the trunk, looked up on the rear deck, popped off the black plastic cover, disconnected the bulb base. Popped the bulb out. There are 2 connections in the base, the bottom and the side. The side piece SHOULD be bowed out so it can contact the bulb. Mine was pressed flat. I was able to pry it back out enough to make contact and the problem was fixed.

If it goes out agian, i'll just have the dealer order the part under warranty. I'd imagine the bulb base socket is only a few bucks if you are out of warranty.

·
Registered
977 Posts
My fix only worked for a few days, then it was back to intermittment warning. Looks like those with the problem may be hit/miss on your own fix. I'll have the dealer replace my bulb holder since I'm booked for Monday appointment

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well in my absence my girlfriend checked the brake lights again and found it is in fact the drivers side rear light so it must be a bad connection or temperamental bulb as it was alright when checked the other day.

Pip

1 - 7 of 7 Posts