BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my fronts were due, so changed the pads - sensors still looked good (were about 350 miles away per CBS) so I didn't think to change them - put everything back together and re-set the light via dash button. Strangely, the light didn't reset, but went from 350 to zero, and was telling me that pads are completely worn. OK, took apart again, replaced sensors with brand new units, but my light still won't reset. What gives?

I have brand new pads, new sensors on both corners, and can't reset the light. Any tips?
I have INPA, but not sure how to use that to re-set CBS lights.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had the same problem, and I followed this guide to reset the CBS using Tool32:

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't get the tool32 to work. When I load DSC_87, I get nothing, no jobs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Did you open INPA first?
If I remember correctly, you need to first open INPA, and confirm communication with the "car-on" status green light is showing

·
Registered
126 Posts
I seem to remember that you need to run a routine in ISTA afterwards - some sort of recalibration. Can't for the life of me find the article I came across that mentioned it though

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you open INPA first?
If I remember correctly, you need to first open INPA, and confirm communication with the "car-on" status green light is showing
Tried both ways. INPA connects just fine, but Tool32 does not. Something with EDIABAS? I honestly know very little about the software part of all of this...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Can you clear all errors with inpa from the informational jobs (?) screen? The screen where you can read errors from all ecus at once. If memory is right when you reset without replacing the sensor an error is set in some module causing this.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you clear all errors with inpa from the informational jobs (?) screen? The screen where you can read errors from all ecus at once. If memory is right when you reset without replacing the sensor an error is set in some module causing this.
OK, I'll try this tonight. Thanks.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Errors present, I cleared them, brake light did not reset.
I'm stumped.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you reset the sensor after clearing codes?
I did. Many, many times.

I have fashioned jumped sensors out of old ones, tried that way. I have bought a set of entirely brand new sensors, and swapped the other new sensors that I installed previously, and tried that way. No dice. 4 sensors can't be bad, so its not sensors. The car was workign fine just before I tried to re-set it - so its obviously not wiring.

It just shows a yellow sign with ----- instead of mileage, and when I'm trying to clear it says OK, and nothing happens after. Its stuck. I'm stuck, and the freaking light and iDrive that constantly tells me to change my pads is driving me nuts.

So I took it to local dealer today, they said they "normally" don't reset lights, but they can take a look. So they took the car in the service area, and literally 5 minutes later brought it back saying I need new sensors. When I told them I have already tried 4 new sensors, and showed them two spares in the box, they said uhhh we don't know its usually the sensors - so they are clueless or lazy to even hook it up.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I'd have to try on mine as this has happened to me before. I dont recall it being that hard. Inpa has an option to reset cbs, that rings a bell give it a try nothing to lose anyway.

·
Registered
87 Posts
This sounds exactly the same as the issue I had. I followed the Tool32 procedure in my first post and it worked straight away with a new sensor. Sorry I cannot be more help than that...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Important! On the E60 M5 and E63/64 M6 the fault memory entry "Mastervac vacuum pressure sensor" may be stored after the brake pads have been replaced. The fault memory entry must be deleted

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update. This morning I stopped at another dealer and they re-set the light with their scanner in like 30 seconds.
So, just needed a proper tool and people willing to help, though they did mention that this is a common problem with E60 and E90.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
4 Participants
TexaZ3
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing