BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Unfortunately bought the extended maintenance program thinking that it would pay for itself.

Boy, was I wrong, so let's get that out of the way and not analyze a mistake made before I knew of the M5 Board.

Anyway, I thought I would be able to recoup some of the cost by getting pads and rotors replaced. Wrong as I have been doing brake jobs between track days and stupidly did not realize that BMW will only change the rotors if the "brake pad" sensor is tripped. Rotors below spec will not be replaced unless the pad sensor is tripped.

I will he having some interesting conversations with BMW as I am pretty sure I will need new rotors for my Aug and Oct track events.

Anybody else have this issue under extended maintenance?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
find somebody that is changeing there worn pads that has triped the low brake pad warning put them on your car and drive to dealer

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Rotors below spec will not be replaced unless the pad sensor is tripped.

1. That is amazing. There is nothing in the text of the extended maintenance program that would allow this interpretation.

2. DO NOT mention "track". That would, and IMHO it is appropriate, eliminate coverage under their program. You can say you changed pads, there is no issue with you doing work. Changing pads alone may be 'wrong' according to BMW, but it will not hasten nor damage the rotors.

3. Talk to BMWNA. Point out that rotors under spec are 'dangerous'

GL

A

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
+ 1 to ard

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
+2

The need for brake replacement under maintenance is determined by spec, not the "idiot light". Thus on my final extended maintenance visit, the tech inspected my brakes although the light was not on (turns out they were within spec...).

+ 500 on the advice not to mention ANY reference to tracking the car if you want the brakes replaced under the agreement.

Good luck.

·
Registered
128 Posts
+ 3
Do not say anything about tracking the car.

Ask them to measure the rotors and if they are below spec they will have to replace them:

Quote from BMW Maintenance Plan:

"The replacement of THE FOLLOWING ITEMS ONLY due to normal wear and tear are also covered: Brake linings (pads) and rotors (both covered only when worn below limits as per BMW Technical Data Information)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, they know that I do HPDE. This is just education that happens to be on a track but it's not competitive or classed as racing, nor is it timed. In fact, they accelerated a brake fluid flush and oil change under the maintenance program for a prior HPDE. Small community, so few things can be kept secret here. Also nothing in the maintenance program says you can't do HPDE.

They contend that BMW always recommends changing the pads and rotors together and use the wear sensor as the trigger. I will be following up with them and let you know what transpires.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
They contend that BMW always recommends changing the pads and rotors together and use the wear sensor as the trigger. I will be following up with them and let you know what transpires.
This is true, but quite a twist: when the pad sensor trips, BMW requires a rotor change. This is the factory recommendation. The theory is that rotors can't go for 'two pads', and people will not keep track of rotor thickness hence it is safer to just change the rotor. (And a money maker...)

Unfortunately some nitwit at the dealership is making up their own policy based on some convoluted interpretation of the rotor replacement rule.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts