BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi every one:

just want an a good answer for:

Does the brake pads for 1998 740i ( front and rear )... will fit the e39 m5 .... i heard from sombody it is fit correctly it is just different part #... is that right? plzzzzzzzzzzz reply:confused:

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
halla Mubarak,

I personally dont know if the pads of the 740 will fit (probably will) but whats the point of getting them if they would perform worse than those of the M5 ? :confused: If you would do something, then i suggest you getting aftermarket pads or even better, bigger brake systems. Now you are talking kinggf

peace out.. salam

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
the pads are the size fitment size but the compounds are different....BMW uses the same sizes for many of their cars but the composition is wrong and hence thats why you have different part numbers. Dont waste your time, if you own an M5 purchase the proper pads.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Its not the pads you should worry about, its the rotors!! They are costly to replace, and i am very surprised how un-durable they are!!!

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Get the aftermarket pads from Zeckhausen Racing (they're a board sponsor; click on link at the top of the screen). Dave Zeckhausen now recommends the Hawk performance ceramics for the street as they outperform the previously recommended (but still available and less expensive) Axxis Deluxe Plus pads. Both stop as well or better than stock and have 90% less dust. Others are right about rotors. Not much choice other than stock or the Euro floating rotors, but none are slotted or cross-drilled.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Slightly off topic... What is the actual difference between standard US and Euro spec floating discs/rotors? any pics of the two discs/rotors for comparison... Just intrigued...

Do all Euro/UK cars have floating discs/rotors...

-Steve

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
steve, while i dont have pictures i can say that the differences are slight..

the us spec rotors are a one piece design that has the hat and hub all together

the euros have a slightly different setup where the rotor is not a 1 piece connection to the hub area. This allows for greater heat expansion and dissipation under braking but comes with a price of slightly louder (sqeekier) operation as the rotor face will remain slightly cooler and also have a bit more flex built into it than the solid setup US spec rotors

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
A bit hard to see, but you can see one of the pins holding the hat to the rotor at about the 3 and 8 O'clock positions. This pic from the Turner Motorsport of the rear floating rotor.

This pic of the BMW floating rotor for the e46 M3 (sorry, no cross-drilled ones for the M5) shows the floating/pin construction more clearly.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Guys,

Many Thanks... think I understand more now!

-Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts