BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While cleaning my wheels today, I started by removing all the brake dust. Then I came across what appears to be some brake fluid around a few spokes and the inner-most part of the rim. What do I do to clean it off without ruining the shadow chrome finish?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just get it off immediately with a rag and then use soap and water. Brake fluid will only hurt the paint if it is left on it for a period of time. Brake fluid is not like getting a solvent on paint. A solvent dissolves the paint while brake fluid changes it chemically.

Paint that has brake fluid left on it will become rubbery and peal off. It is similar to what happens when you use some furnature strippers.

Are you sure it is brake fluid? If it is, you have another problem you need to have looked at.

Mark

Mark

·
Registered
372 Posts
If it was brake fluid, better get it into a shop quick. Not good.

But more likely, I suspect it is tire dressing used to make the tires shine. Probably excess just dripped on to spokes. It's very gummy and hard to clean. Use strong soap (Simple Green) or use a liquid car wax on the wheels.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Gradx: What is the best way to remove very old Brake Dust that stayed on my spokes for few months? the previous owner didn't care much to clean them, I guess.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Gradx: What is the best way to remove old Brake Dust that sticked to my spokes for few months? I guess the previous owner didn't care much to keep them clean...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Gradx: What is the best way to remove old Brake Dust that sticked to my spokes for few months? I guess the previous owner didn't care much to keep them clean...

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The brake dust usually comes off with ease, but there are a few areas where there is another substance, darker (completly black) which has settled in no a few areas around the front right wheel. I'm not sure how to get it off nor am I sure what it is. But from the looks of things it was either sprayed on or dripped onto the wheel.

It's only noticable if you're up very close inspecting or cleaning the wheel.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Someone else posted about how they had their rims cleaned, and the less-than-competent person used something that acid etched the rims -- revealing a black finish underneath. It stripped off the chrome finish. Hate to say it, but maybe that's what you're seeing -- not something sprayed or caked on the rim, but the exposed material beneath the finish. Also, as I understand it, the rims are just about impossible to repair, since they use some uncommon technique to chrome them. Hope that's not the case with your rims.

I always just splash my rims with soap and water, then go around with a sponge and wipe em down. Then I dry and get the remaining stuff I missed with a dry rag, and wax them if I'm not too lazy. Building up a few layers of wax on the rims is key, it makes the cleaning much easier.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello
I hear this really strange like-mechanical sound from the gearbox when I slide the gear into reverse and go... why is that? anyone else facing that problem?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
i think i see the same black substance. I think i have seen it only on the front right, i dont remember about the left. It seems like a drip of black goo of some sort. Is this what you guys see? I thought it was something I picked up from the road. It is very difficult to take it off. I would put wheel cleaner on and leave it there, clean, and repeat over and over until it is clean. Now I'm getting kind of curious what this is, any suggestions?

fas

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I used to get this on my M3 from time to time. I'm pretty sure it came from the road. It was also getting it on the body.

Originally posted by fais2000:
i think i see the same black substance. I think i have seen it only on the front right, i dont remember about the left. It seems like a drip of black goo of some sort. Is this what you guys see? I thought it was something I picked up from the road. It is very difficult to take it off. I would put wheel cleaner on and leave it there, clean, and repeat over and over until it is clean. Now I'm getting kind of curious what this is, any suggestions?

fas

------------------
Phil

01 M5 SilverStone due 12/00

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just bought today the Quicksilver Wheel Cleaner (the damn thing costs 13$ here!)... I sprayed some and waited for about 60 secs as it said, I then scrabbed the wheels with a dry sponge and then sprayed water.. it only removed the new brake-dust and only little of the old.. I did it again and then scrubbed for 5 minutes!! my hands almost fell! the old dust is still there... I don't know if it's dust, I've got a 316i, so the front brakes are discs, and there the wheels have some kind of black marks on them, and on the rear I have drums brakes, and there the marks are brown... on the rear is kinda all over the wheels, but infront it seems like liquid or something the drippled on the alloys... What can I do!? I want them as shiny as a brand new alloy (or close to that)
GMB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts