BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the amount of brake dust trail off after the car is broken in? I seem to have to clean off the wheels every other day or it really builds up.

Mark

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Yup, the brake dust is no fun! Our wheels get very dirty as well. I just use water or Meguiars #34 Final Inspection to keep 'em clean.

As much as the brake dust is a pain, I'll take the well-engineered brakes any day

-Chris

·
Registered
533 Posts
BMW's are notorious for their brake dust. Just look at every BMW on the road and rarely you will see a bimmer without a ton of dust.

I used to deal with it by hand on my vette, but forget that on these wheels it will take all day

I'm gonna try some meguiars spray and rinse stuff.

------------------
00' ///M5 Titanium Silver/Caramel

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I'm use to it after nine bimmers and five merc's. Just the nature of the beast.
You will not avoid it.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
From the other board: Registry

Brake dust.

My 2 cents:

Watch the over spray on tire blk and all its forms. Or better yet don't use the stuff at
all. It only temporarily hides the dirt and allows brake dust to accumulate with steel
dust from the rotors which causes that rusty reddish look on the tires. Have you seen this?

Never use pressure cleaners for wheels or anything else on the car. Always hand wash
or get someone to do it for you. I have seen more ruined painted wheels because of
pressure cleaning than anything else.

Be proud of your brake dust, its the sign of quality, (I know I hate it too.)but european cars place a lot of emphasis on brakes and the dust that goes with it is necessary.

Finally, never ask your service rep at the dealership how to get rid of it. They've been
asked that question 4,565,335 times at last count, so its not like they don't know about the problem and they would have found a solution by now

I've waxed the wheels and it is to difficult to keep up, you'll lapse and go back to cleaning.

The biggest culprit though is the armorall type stuff that causes the dust to stick.

------------------
Jim

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your feedback on the dust. It would not be so bad if the wheels did not have so many details to clean around. Any good suggestions for aftermarket wheels? I realize that wheels are a matter of taste, but I would like to hear from those who might have replaced the factor wheels.

Thanks,

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts